“Good, bad and ugly?”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Belgium
“Good, bad and ugly?”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Good Hotel promises to be a modern, trending hotel near the center of san francisco but doesn't live up to this promise. The hotel is a bit outdated, the rooms are ver small and staff isn't very friendly.
We got a large telephone bill for a 1 minute phone call and we were advised to use the parking for the car as you have to pay everywhere in SF. The street next to the hotel is free during the night so if you only need to park 1 night, don't let them fool you!
The bikes that are offeredby the hotel are old and make a lot of noise. They are fine for a short trip, but not for a day bike ride.
Neighbourhood is dodgy. No fun to wqlk arond at night...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank superinnie
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Superinnie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Tripadvisor. We sincerely apologize that the quality of your room fell short of your standards. The service you experienced is not representative of the standards we are accustomed to providing as we are always aiming to uphold the standard of superior service. We have recently updated our bikes and we do apologize that the complimentary bike that you had been provided did not live up to your expectations.

It is unfortunate that you felt the telephone and parking rate was unsuitable. Our telephone rates are dictated by operated assisted day rates, applicable surcharges and taxes while our parking rate is very competitive for San Francisco as it is one of the lowest in the city. The San Francisco Parking Control Officers are very efficient so we do offer caution to those that choose to park on the street.

Our neighborhood of "SoMA" (South of Market) is an eclectic and diverse area which contributes to the overall makeup of the city of San Francisco. Although not necessarily the most luxurious part of town, SoMA is home to many great local restaurants and bars. Our well informed staff willingly provides our guests this type of information. We are sorry to hear that you had a less than favorable impression of our neighborhood and offer our apologies.

Hopefully you will return and provide us a second opportunity to explore our ever changing neighborhood. Perhaps your future stay in San Francisco's south of market district will be more to your liking. Thank you again for your time and response.

Good Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Desert Hot Springs, California
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My room at the Good Hotel was fine. Just like in the photos. Very clean and neat. Everything in great shape. Security felt okay. Wi-fi was good.

When I checked in, the one staff person at the front desk seemed overly distracted and busy, even though I was the only person he was waiting on. I do wonder why at most hotels, if I've made advance registrations via the internet, the desk will only need to see my ID, credit card and signature; while other hotels (like Good Hotel) make me fill out all the same information by hand on a piece of paper.

Once I had my room key, I went to the room and discovered that housekeeping was still working to make it ready. I had all my bags with me, so I just sat down on the floor outside the room. The housekeeper saw me, but it didn't occur to her that I was waiting for her. About half an hour later she was done and I went into the room. The housekeeper expressed surprise that this was my room, but there was no apology.

Car parking is an extra charge: $25/night for compacts, $35 for larger cars. The lot has very few spaces and the spaces are very small. There isn't even room to turn around, so you will probably have to back out onto 7th Street, which may be challenging. There are parking garages very close by with better facilities and a lower charge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Rbgilbert,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us we are glad that you found the room clean and that you felt safe during your stay.

On behalf of our entire staff, you have my apologies that our service did not meet your expectations. We understand the frustration you felt with the situations you encountered and have contacted each department to address the comments you have provided. Rest assured that your encounters do not represent the standards we uphold.

Although some of the parking prices you listed are incorrect our pricing is comparable to similar properties in the area and we feel we provide good value given our central location and extensive facilities. We regret that this was not your impression and offer our apologies.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed here for Google I/O that was happening at the Moscone center. It's about 7 mins walk away, so was close-enough to pop back at points during the day. The room was a reasonable sized, neatly decorated with a couple of nice touches (like the glow in the dark "good night" message above the bed) (room 114). It's also about 1 minute walk from the Civic Center BART station, which costs $8.25 from the airport.

Some tripadvisor posts note that the area is a "bit dodgy." Yes, there are homeless people around, but certainly no worse than in many European cities (think London, Paris, Brussels). They are mostly harmless and just looking for "a bit of spare change." Just be aware of your surroundings and act appropriately (ie, don't walking down the street flashing your latest macbook pro). I walked back alone from the Tenderloin area crossing Turk and Market street at about 11pm with no bother.

I was staying in the courtyard, right next to the main road. I can see how some people can find this noisy, but a combination of jetlag (coming from London), busy days and earplugs ensured I slept without problems.

The bed was comfy, the shower was hot, there was a keypad safe in the room, and the hotel looked after my bags on the last day.

My only observation was that the WIFI was a little spotty - checking emails - fine, but don't be expecting to watch netflix! The hotel is one of a group of three next to each other, and you can connect any of the 3 wifi networks with the same password. Wasn't really a problem (for me) because I had a US data sim in my mobile, so could just tether my laptop.

I had no real reason to call on the staff other than checking in / out, but they were polite and helpful at those points. No queues, took less than 5 mins.

If you're expecting a modern purpose built hotel with lots of sound insulation, then you'll have to stay somewhere else (and likely pay a lot more), but if you're looking for somewhere clean and warm to stay while you spend time in the city, then this is absolutely fine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ChrisBu_13
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear ChrisBu_13,

Thank you for posting a thorough review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear of your wonderful experience with our hotel and truly appreciate that you provided an honest and warm opinion. Our aim is to provide all of our guests a unique stay and excellent customer service. We are glad that we met your expectations as we strive to achieve this with everyone that we interact with.

The Soma neighborhood like most of San Francisco is filled with eclectic characters which provides the city its own unique vibe. Thank you for providing us your opinion about our SOMA neighborhood. As a community we are working towards building a safe and welcoming neighborhood.

Living in the digital age we understand the frustration you must have experienced with our wifi especially since the internet has become such an integrated part of our lives and we offer our apologies. We have received the feedback from our guests regarding the internet and are working with our internet company to provide a more stable network. Your feedback has been invaluable and will assist us in providing you and our future guests a better experience in the future.

It was our pleasure to be able to provide you a home while in San Francisco. We appreciate the feedback you have provided and hope to warmly welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to San Francisco.

Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I was really looking forward to staying at the Good Hotel, but I just wanted to cry when I opened the door of our "courtyard" (which actually means motel) room. Looks amazing on photo, but it's far from having this cool, fresh, clean vibe/look. Tiny pillows, hard bed, weird smell, could hear the neighbour sneeze. Ended up calling Expedia at 4am begging for a cancellation/refund for the remaining 6 nights. Did not sleep at all, but after 1h30 at front desk checking out (they did accept to cancel - which I'm very grateful for) I was refunded by Expedia. If you are ok with a motel and have a car you need to park close to downtown, bring your pillows and ear plugs and make a reservation :) Try to get there before it gets dark though because the area is a bit scary. Otherwise, spend a few more bucks and find something decent in another area.

Room Tip: Did not check the hotel part, but it might be slightly better than courtyard rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emiliemelo
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Emiliemelo,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire staff, you have my apologies that your impression of our Hotel did not meet your expectations. We understand the frustration you felt and have contacted each department to address the comments you have provided.

We thank you for your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Odense
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Was allocated a very small room with the smallest doublebed ever seen. View to a brickwall two meters away. Complained and got a nice room with two beds and streetview. Friendly staff, but no luxery at all. A lot of people are living on the street in the neighborhood. Not a place for kids.

1 Thank SENOdense
Dear SENOdense,

We are glad that our friendly staff accommodated you with your request for a move to an available room facing the street.

Our little neighborhood of SoMA is an eclectic and diverse area and although it's not the luxurious part of, "The City," it helps to make up the overall makeup of San Francisco. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Francisco.

The Dalles, Oregon
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We just returned from a 3 day vacation in the city having stayed here. I had read the reviews and know the city fairly well so I had an idea of where I was going to be staying.

SOMA isn’t the greatest area YET but during the day and early evening you have nothing to worry about as lots of locals are out and about I their daily lives. From 3rd to about 10th on both Mission and Market are tough areas with lots of homeless folks but it’s an urban city after all but we walked back up Mission around midnight without any trouble. I wouldn’t recommend it for a woman by herself but there are many placed in a city I would.

The hotel immediately reminded of us the Jupiter Inn in Portland a very hip sort of place. We arrived early in the morning (way before check in) and they gladly took our bags and secured them for us.

It was really warm for the city high 70’s but there wasn’t any air conditioner and the ceiling fan took some getting use to but it wasn’t that bad.

We only had our phones but they were able to connect to the wi fi without any trouble.

We had taken a cab in from the airport and paid $34 before the tip. I called the front desk the night before and asked them to arrange for a cab to take us to the airport. They suggested a town car for the same fair and I agreed. In the morning it wasn’t there at the requested time and I had to ask the front desk to confirm they were on their way which she did.

The trip was fine and when we got to SFO the driver asked for $50. I told him the hotel told me the fare would be the same as taxi which was $34. He didn’t budge nor did he get a tip! So I would suggest you just call for your own for a cab directly and pay the fair. If there is only one of you traveling the shuttles are about $20 one way.

Room Tip: Our window opened to a light shaft facing other rooms so it was quite but it might be nice to have a...
1 Thank Dave L
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Dave,

We truly appreciate that you provided a satisfactory opinion of our hotel. The Soma neighborhood like most of San Francisco is filled with eclectic characters which provides the city its own unique vibe. Here in San Francisco the town cars charge a flat rate while taxi rates will vary depending on the traffic and how long a ride actually takes.

We thank you again and hope to welcome you back with a cheerful hello on your next visit to San Francisco.

With anticipation,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed here during April. The hotel itself is quite nice and clean with good facilities that have obviously been well thought-out. We were especially happy that rooms came with a coffee machine that we could make hot drinks with and also get hot water from, a big bonus for us who were traveling around the US in budget hotels.

The only bad thing I would say is the location itself. I read reviews on this place before coming to stay and saw the comments about the location filled with homeless people and drug dealers. My partner and I weren't too fazed and thought it wouldn't be so bad.

On arrival we were really shocked at what we saw. We took a short walk around the place to find some food and came across homeless people every few feet which was really distressing to see.

The next day we took the short walk up to Union Square along Market St and saw countless more homeless people, many obviously on drugs. We also walked past a gang of drug-dealers, which was really unnerving.

We thought that we wouldn't be bothered by this but was wrong - it really affected our stay in San Fran which really is a beautiful city, and did not feel safe at all. The hotel itself is safe, but the surrounding area definitely felt like a scary place to be, even during the day time.

Our hotel room also overlooked a bus stop on the opposite side of the road, and during the day saw so many people high on drugs and other shady characters at night.

If this kind of thing doesn't bother you, then the Good Hotel is a nice place to stay at a decent price. But if it does, then definitely research other hotels located more uptown around Fisherman's Wharf.

1 Thank Jen R
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Jen,

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. We are pleased that you enjoyed our accommodations and service, however we are sorry that our SOMA neighborhood fell short of your expectations.

Our neighborhood, SoMA (South of Market) is an eclectic and diverse area and contributes to the overall makeup of the city of San Francisco. Although by far not the luxurious part of, "The City," SoMA is continually thriving with planned restaurant, cafe openings and corporate offices. We are sorry that you had a less than favorable impression about the location of our hotel and offer our apologies.

Thank you also for your candid opinion about our neighborhood and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our SOMA neighborhood on your next visit to San Francisco!