All reviews bart station few blocks convenient location downtown sf cable car
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I was really looking forward to staying at the Good Hotel, but I just wanted to cry when I opened the door of our "courtyard" (which actually means motel) room. Looks amazing on photo, but it's far from having this cool, fresh, clean vibe/look. Tiny pillows, hard bed, weird smell, could hear the neighbour sneeze. Ended up calling Expedia at 4am begging for a cancellation/refund for the remaining 6 nights. Did not sleep at all, but after 1h30 at front desk checking out (they did accept to cancel - which I'm very grateful for) I was refunded by Expedia. If you are ok with a motel and have a car you need to park close to downtown, bring your pillows and ear plugs and make a reservation :) Try to get there before it gets dark though because the area is a bit scary. Otherwise, spend a few more bucks and find something decent in another area.

Room tip: Did not check the hotel part, but it might be slightly better than courtyard rooms.
Date of stay: May 2013
2  Thank emiliemelo
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at Good Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear Emiliemelo,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire staff, you have my apologies that your impression of our Hotel did not meet your expectations. We understand the frustration you felt and have contacted each department to address the comments you have provided.

We thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Was allocated a very small room with the smallest doublebed ever seen. View to a brickwall two meters away. Complained and got a nice room with two beds and streetview. Friendly staff, but no luxery at all. A lot of people are living on the street in the neighborhood. Not a place for kids.

1  Thank SENOdense

Dear SENOdense,

We are glad that our friendly staff accommodated you with your request for a move to an available room facing the street.

Our little neighborhood of SoMA is an eclectic and diverse area and although it's not the luxurious part of, "The City," it helps to make up the overall makeup of San Francisco. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Francisco.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We just returned from a 3 day vacation in the city having stayed here. I had read the reviews and know the city fairly well so I had an idea of where I was going to be staying.

SOMA isn’t the greatest area YET but during the day and early evening you have nothing to worry about as lots of locals are out and about I their daily lives. From 3rd to about 10th on both Mission and Market are tough areas with lots of homeless folks but it’s an urban city after all but we walked back up Mission around midnight without any trouble. I wouldn’t recommend it for a woman by herself but there are many placed in a city I would.

The hotel immediately reminded of us the Jupiter Inn in Portland a very hip sort of place. We arrived early in the morning (way before check in) and they gladly took our bags and secured them for us.

It was really warm for the city high 70’s but there wasn’t any air conditioner and the ceiling fan took some getting use to but it wasn’t that bad.

We only had our phones but they were able to connect to the wi fi without any trouble.

We had taken a cab in from the airport and paid $34 before the tip. I called the front desk the night before and asked them to arrange for a cab to take us to the airport. They suggested a town car for the same fair and I agreed. In the morning it wasn’t there at the requested time and I had to ask the front desk to confirm they were on their way which she did.

The trip was fine and when we got to SFO the driver asked for $50. I told him the hotel told me the fare would be the same as taxi which was $34. He didn’t budge nor did he get a tip! So I would suggest you just call for your own for a cab directly and pay the fair. If there is only one of you traveling the shuttles are about $20 one way.

Room tip: Our window opened to a light shaft facing other rooms so it was quite but it might be nice to have a streetside window.. more fresh air and the sounds of the city if you like that sort of thing
1  Thank Dave L
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at Good Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Dave,

We truly appreciate that you provided a satisfactory opinion of our hotel. The Soma neighborhood like most of San Francisco is filled with eclectic characters which provides the city its own unique vibe. Here in San Francisco the town cars charge a flat rate while taxi rates will vary depending on the traffic and how long a ride actually takes.

We thank you again and hope to welcome you back with a cheerful hello on your next visit to San Francisco.

With anticipation,

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed here during April. The hotel itself is quite nice and clean with good facilities that have obviously been well thought-out. We were especially happy that rooms came with a coffee machine that we could make hot drinks with and also get hot water from, a big bonus for us who were traveling around the US in budget hotels.

The only bad thing I would say is the location itself. I read reviews on this place before coming to stay and saw the comments about the location filled with homeless people and drug dealers. My partner and I weren't too fazed and thought it wouldn't be so bad.

On arrival we were really shocked at what we saw. We took a short walk around the place to find some food and came across homeless people every few feet which was really distressing to see.

The next day we took the short walk up to Union Square along Market St and saw countless more homeless people, many obviously on drugs. We also walked past a gang of drug-dealers, which was really unnerving.

We thought that we wouldn't be bothered by this but was wrong - it really affected our stay in San Fran which really is a beautiful city, and did not feel safe at all. The hotel itself is safe, but the surrounding area definitely felt like a scary place to be, even during the day time.

Our hotel room also overlooked a bus stop on the opposite side of the road, and during the day saw so many people high on drugs and other shady characters at night.

If this kind of thing doesn't bother you, then the Good Hotel is a nice place to stay at a decent price. But if it does, then definitely research other hotels located more uptown around Fisherman's Wharf.

1  Thank Jen R
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at Good Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Dear Jen,

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. We are pleased that you enjoyed our accommodations and service, however we are sorry that our SOMA neighborhood fell short of your expectations.

Our neighborhood, SoMA (South of Market) is an eclectic and diverse area and contributes to the overall makeup of the city of San Francisco. Although by far not the luxurious part of, "The City," SoMA is continually thriving with planned restaurant, cafe openings and corporate offices. We are sorry that you had a less than favorable impression about the location of our hotel and offer our apologies.

Thank you also for your candid opinion about our neighborhood and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our SOMA neighborhood on your next visit to San Francisco!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Had a good stay here with a trek group but didnt like the location much. We all liked the rooms and the staff seemed nice enough having to deal with 14 of us checking in all at once. Either way, it was better then the tent I'd been in for three weeks.

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends

Dear Shelivesbythesea,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your accommodations and found our staff hospitable.

Our little neighborhood of SoMA is an eclectic and diverse area and although it's not the luxurious part of, "The City," SoMA is continually thriving with planned restaurant and cafe openings as well as major corporations that have recently moved to the area. Our location provides the best great access to anywhere you need to go within San Francisco and beyond!