“Cramped noisy room”

The Good Hotel
Ranked #186 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I've always wondered what it would be like to stay in a shoebox on the street. Since I got the room at a bargain rate the hotel put me in the worst room available, and there were of course no other options opening up. Overall, I was very impressed by the service on the front end except for the clerk who made me wait for five minutes without acknowledgement while he shopped for a Nintendo available at the Black Friday advertised price. The staff alternates between the sister properties. The hotel is good for young urbanized travelers. I liked the décor and theme of the hotel. The only time I felt unsafe was when a couple was "jokingly" accosted by one of the vagrants as I walked back to the hotel. The young street savvy man was able to handle the situation while I scampered to safety. Also, appreciated were the free wifi, bikes, and swimming pool and fitness center privileges. The hotel is nicely located if you are city safe savvy and near transit, dining, and shopping. The maid service was very good and my room was clean even if tiny. I would recommend earplugs if you do not get one of the quieter rooms; which did look to be somewhat nicer than the hovel I was assigned. At least I got to get a streetside view of buses, taxicabs, and the homeless camped out outside. The heat was very good, so good that I had to turn on the ceiling fan that I was quite thankful was located in the room. I found plenty of free coffee and tea available in the morning. Would I stay again, not sure. The price was great but I probably would have paid a little bit more for a larger room if something like that was available. Most economy and average rate rooms in San Francisco are "noisy" and surrounded by homeless; so I wouldn't let those factors control in making your hotel determination.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Airguy,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Tripadvisor and enjoying the many amenities we were able to provide you. We sincerely apologize that the quality of your room fell short of your standards. Many of our rooms come in various configurations and layouts that fit the specific needs of our guests we apologize that another room did not become available during your stay.

We are glad that on a whole you enjoyed our service. The service you experienced with one of our agents is not representative of the standards we are accustomed to providing as we are always aiming to uphold the standard of superior service.

We thank you again for your response and hope that your travels back to San Francisco also bring you back to the Good Hotel.

There are newer reviews for The Good Hotel

Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Admittedly it is one of the cheaper options around and it shows. Very small rooms and outdated and extremely small bathrooms. You won't enjoy a nice shower at the end of the day.

The room was very basic but flatscreen TV with HDMI Input was a positive.

Would not recommend for families as the neighbourhood is very shady. I had to go out and get some necessities in the evening and saw and heard people dealing drugs on the street. Lucky the little ones didn't come with me.

For young travellers looking to save some money on accommodation and just have a place to crash after a night out - its great, but for anyone else spend the bit extra and go something better.

Dear Darryl,

Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule with the family to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay at the Good Hotel.

Many of our rooms come in various configurations and layouts that fit the specific needs of our guests we apologize that the room did not suit your style. Although perhaps not the most luxurious part of San Francisco the SOMA neighborhood is proud to represent an up and coming neighborhood filled with families as well as the other characters you encountered this helps to make San Francisco the diverse and interesting city that it is.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

My company tried to save some money and therefore booked us into the Good Hotel for the Photonics West trade show. I am surely not somebody who needs exceptional service but calling this hotel a "good hotel" is really an overstatement.

What I liked
- the price
- free WiFi

What I did not like
- no breakfast available
- no bar service, no restaurant
- the beds are old
- the rooms are dirty
- the bathroom is disgusting
- the elevator is scary
- there is no air conditioning in the rooms
- the heating does not work very well ... either too hot or not working
- the television is the smallest I have ever seen
- the rooms are noisy
- the area is unsafe so don't go out in the evenings

I am all for saving some bucks but an additional $20 per night are very well spent here ... in another hotel. In the end at the day before I left the cleaning woman decided that my new jacket was too nice to leave it in my room. All my efforts didn't result in getting anything back. So avoid this hotel!

Room Tip: Die besten Zimmer sind in einem anderen Hotel....
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Dear Teaki78089,

Thank you for taking the time and providing your opinions on what you liked and what you did not like at our hotel. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness and sincerely apologize that it fell short of your standards. As a smaller property we attempt to provide our guests additional amenities unfortunately due to our size we are unable to provide certain amenities.

We sincerely apologize that the quality of your room fell short of your standards. As a smaller property we offer our guests the options of additional amenities we would have been unable to offer due to our size.The SOMA neighborhood is proud to represent an up and coming neighborhood that helps to make San Francisco the diverse and interesting city that it is.

We thank you again for your response and if you are open to discussing the situation with the jacket please send us an email at frontdesk@haiyi-hotels.com. Hopefully this does not deter you from returning to the Good hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Just come back from a week at the Good Hotel San Fran, the room I was in was quite, clean with a comfortable bed and ensuite bathroom, room 515. Every thing was OK about about it, what you would expect for the price, its near the dogy area of Tenderloin with lots of homeless people around. Its near the public transport on Market street and a 10-15 min walk into the main shooping area. Can't complain, would stay again.

Room Tip: I asked for a quite room and got a 5th floor room facing inwards, didnt hear much noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Haiyi, Front Office Supervisor at The Good Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear simon d,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your most recent accommodations at the Good Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our clean and quiet rooms. It's great to hear that you would stay with us again, we look forward to the next chance to serve you again the next time you are in San Francisco.

Regards,

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Hi everyone I recently book at th good hotel as a last minute change to my American holiday. Having found it online , I was nervous becauseof the reviews but The good vs bad seemed to equally balance out! I'm 19 from Melbourne Australia and was travelling with another girl my age! While the hotel itself seemed excellent for the prices the rooms were funky , clean , tidy and everything you would excpect thlocation which seemed good only a few blocks from union square however it was a few blocks in the wrong direction. To walk to the shops we had to walk through the roughest area of San Francisco. It is the area the most populated with homeless people in San Francisco and Well known for its drugs and crime, while we experienced nothing of this sort the homelessness compar to home in itself was overwhelming. A a result we did not feel safe, we left the hotel found one much more central which we could feel comfortable walking to a night and changed the same day we checked in. For future travellers I recommend this hotel for travellers a bit older than ourselves or perhaps those in larger groups, in undoubtly is a rough area and all taxi drivers and tour buses alert you to this. Do not be naive about the location or the surrounds , it is very confronting and unless you can be comfortable with this it would probably be better if you we're on a tight budget to find a good hostel much closer and further from the tenderloin area. Do not ignore these review, which the people in the local area didn't bother us to much so to say, a few did try to talk to us, unless you are confident that you will be fine , it is not worth the risk.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Laura,

Thank you for providing such generous comments about our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you found your accommodations satisfactory. It is quite unfortunate that your perception of our SOMA neighborhood was not the ideal that you had been searching for and we do apologize. The SOMA neighborhood is in the process of reinventing itself with new businesses and restaurants establishing themselves near our hotel. The local colorful characters in our neighborhood can be quite friendly and help to make San Francisco the friendliest city in the world.

We appreciate the feedback you have provided and hope you are able to provide our SOMA neighborhood a second chance in the future.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed at the Good hotel while in San Francisco after finding it on the internet. Had a wonderful stay, excelent spotless rooms, staff very very helpful in all areas. I had to get a doctor while I stayed there and thanks to the excelent help of the hotel I got one straight away.

Area is 5 minutes walking from the main city centre, there are some homeless people around the hotel area but at no time during my stay did I ever feel threatened in any way.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear Martin C,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment and share your recent experiences while staying at the Good Hotel during your travels to San Francisco. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel including our wonderful staff. We look forward for the next opportunity to be your next home away from home when you travel to San Francisco.

Many Thanks,

Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

The Good is located in an "up and coming" part of San Francisco. If you like to wander the streets alone at night, this may not be the place for you. There are lots of street people around, and one night all I could hear was shouting from my window.

With that said, I like this neighbourhood. It's close to the Civic Centre Bart station, close to Market Street shopping and Union Square. If you're into great coffee SightGlass Coffee is two blocks away.

The hotel itself is a refurbished old building. It's got simple inexpensive modern decor, but is quite basic. I wasn't a fan of the shower, and it was a little loud at night (from the street), but I would stay here again. I booked on Hotels.com and paid about $78 per night. Not bad considering!

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear VanCityChristoper,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay at the Good Hotel with the Trip Advisor community. it's great to hear that we were a positive experience during your adventures in San Francisco. This is an up and coming neighborhood and I am happy that you were able to explore and enjoy some of the great local spots in the area. We look forward to being a part of any future adventures in San Francisco!

Warm Regards,