“Very nice hotel”
Review of Hotel Vertigo

Ranked #68 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel was a really good surprise. Super clean, a modern touch and a really great location. You can get to Union square by foot in 5 min and there are many many restaurants around the hotel to go out at night.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Frhokie
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear Frhokie,

Thank you for a great review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!

Warm Regards,

Hotel Vertigo

Write a ReviewReviews (1,428)

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I've worked in the hospitality industry my entire adult life and because of that I don't sweat the small things. I'm pretty much content with a clean room and a comfortable bed. With hotels, I generally want cleanliness, location, and solid customer service. Rather than complain to management I'd rather share my experiences with other travelers/consumers.

We stayed at the Vertigo because the location is pretty good (10 min walk to Union Square area) and our stay overlapped with the weekend so finding a decent hotel under $300 a night was virtually impossible. My biggest issues centered around sleep quality/noise and complete lack of friendly customer service. The hotel is also a little drab; not necessarily unclean but nowhere near pristine. One of the contributors to the noise level was the poor design of the stairwell going to each floor. It is an open stairwell located in the lobby, next to the front desk so if there is anything going on in the lobby (wine hour, check-ins) you can hear everything. Good thing for earplugs. The front desk is certainly a little slow, but that can be covered up if you pour on the charm. Instead of charm, we got dead-panned employees that seemed like they hated their job.

One helpful hint if you stay at the Vertigo or anywhere in San Fran, I would suggest parking at a local garage. We paid $40 per day at Vertigo when there were like three $15-20 per day garages within walking distance. We will definitely not be staying at Hotel Vertigo and I would suggest spending slightly more and staying at a higher ranked trip advisor hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sean D
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Dear Sean D,

Thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your stay. While we consistently get great feedback about our housekeeping and front desk teams, we are always looking for ways to improve our communication and our service. I’m very disappointed to hear your encounters with our front desk staff fell short of your expectations. I would greatly appreciate a moment of your time to discuss the specifics of your experience.

I can be reached at 415 885-6800 or jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com

Reviewed June 4, 2013

My 3 daughters and I stayed 5 nights at this hotel. We selected it for the location, charm, and value and weren't disappointed.
When one of the staff saw us get out the taxi, he immediately came and carried in our luggage. We were quite early, so our bags were secured until we could check in. We were given a map and great ideas of how to spend a few hours while we waited.
We don't mind walking and explored China Town and the Bay Bridge area on foot for a few hours. We were able to access Coit Tower, Union Square, The Mission, Fisherman's Wharf, China Town, Union St, etc - all on foot.
We had some issues with our toilet and the staff was very accommodating even through the continued issues we had.
Our room was clean and well equipped for this price range. The morning coffee and evening wine were great.
We were treated with such friendliness, courtesy and respect by all the staff and grew quite fond of them. We would definitely stay at this hotel again. Thanks Luis, Sam, Joseph, and all the others - you are awesome!

Room Tip: The rooms on the front with bay windows have more space, though the trade off is a little more stree...
Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Beth H

Dear Beth H,

Thank you for an excellent review! I am extremely happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. I have passed on your compliments to our entire staff and Luis, Sam and Joseph will surely be recognized for their efforts in creating a memorable experience for you. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you encountered in the bathrooms.

We hope that you'll continue to choose us when you visit the San Francisco, and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We arrived at Hotel Vertigo at the stated check in time of 3pm. We were told that our room was not ready, which was obviously a bit disappointing as were tired from travelling and wanted to have a shower and relax. The man at the reception desk said he would try and get hold of housekeeping to see what was going on. An hour later the man at reception had disappeared and we were still not checked in! Despite hanging around in reception for the next hour no-one came to see us to update us with what was going on with our room. Eventually we went back up to the reception desk and spoke to someone else who was finally able to give us our room cards. No explanation or apology was offered about the one hour delay, which was obviously a little disappointing. Also, I had unfortunately mislaid my confirmation e-mail detailing that I had paid for the room in advance. The receptionist then told me because I didn't have the confirmation I would be charged full price for the room again! Obviously we queried this and she offered no resolution. In the end we told her to call the booking agent to have them send over the confirmation which they did so thankfully we didn't have to pay twice. Her lack of pro-activity and customer care was quite alarming. She automatically assumed we hadn't paid and was not prepared to give us the benefit of the doubt despite me having a credit card statement that indicated I had paid for the room!

Our room was on the third floor, overlooking an internal courtyard. We were told it was a non smoking room but smelt very strongly of stale cigarettes. It had 2 queen beds, flat screen TV and facilities for making coffee but no milk provided or instructions on how to use the coffee machine. The bathroom was nice with a fantastic powerful and modern shower (no bath) and plenty of toiletries. There was a big walk in cupboard in the room with a safe but no full length mirror. The bedside light was broken which was very annoying.

The room was fine, if a little shabby, but the walls were paper thin and we could hear other guests walking along the corridor and even talking/watching the TV inside their rooms.

There is no breakfast, but coffee is available each morning and there is a wine hour between 5.30 and 6.30pm each weeknight, where you can help yourself to a glass of local red or white wine. There is also a computer available for guest use and a small gym, which my travelling companion used once and enjoyed.

The area is quite nice, around 10/15 minute walk to Union Square. There are plenty of cafes nearby and a good pizza shop next door. Overall our stay was ok and for one night was acceptable but I wouldn't consider staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sinead13

Please accept my apology for this very unusual situation. It is never our intent to inconvenience guests in any way, and we expect the highest standards when it comes to guest service. In this case, we did not meet our own expectations and for that I apologize.

In the meantime, I have shared your comments with our front desk and housekeeping staff to ensure customer service, proper care and cleanliness consistently meets the highest standards.

Thank you for taking the time to offer this very thorough review, and we hope that we can win your confidence in us in the future.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I didn't know what to expect from this hotel, but I was definitely pleasantly surprised. It is in an older building and doesn't have all of the features of newer buildings (only 1 small elevator, for instance), but it sure has a lot of character.

The rooms are well equipped and extremely clean. The beds are also very comfortable. The front-desk staff were professional, helpful, and overall very pleasant and accommodating.

Before arrival, I was concerned about the lack of in-room air conditioning, but the temperature was very comfortable after just opening the window (at least in December during my stay).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear Chris P,

Thank you for a great review! We are extremely pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that
you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Vertigo.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Vertigo in May for 3 nights as part of a tour of the West Coast, although the boutique look and feel is present it is looking a little shabby around the edges, staff were friendly but amenities such as a hotel bar were lacking. The room was well equipped but small and some parts of it looked tired.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear James B,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies that things were not perfect. I assure you we take your comments to heart. We are making a lot of changes here at the hotel, both to the facilities and the service standards. I think you’ll find some great improvements have been made the next time you visit.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Unpretentious, unassuming little hotel. A little frayed around the edges but clean and quiet. A two night stop over required that we didn't need to spend or require that much but hotel vertigo was more than we hoped for. The walk into Union Square is not the shortest but this is made up for by the quieter location. Despite some other reviews, we found the desk staff to be more than helpful. Free wifi also helped. I'd happily recommend this for those on a smaller budget or wanting something further away from the crowds and traffic. And I dig the retro decor too.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Ian A,

Thank you for your 4 star review. I'm elated that you found our staff to be helpful and we hope to welcome you back soon.