“Three days in San Fran”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Three days in San Fran”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Found this hotel on Booking for a great price. It is a little farther from Union Square than I would have hoped. It is a 20min walk to the BART. The hotel is quirky and cute. Rooms were clean but VERY noisy! No insulation between the walls or floors! Knew all our neighbors VERY well!!! House keeping would start knocking on the door at 8am to clean! There is no A/C and the only option for heat is "ON". Would not stay here again...

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Paige B,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. My apologies that parts of your stay were not enjoyable due to the noise and I will be sharing your comments with our housekeeping manager. Hopefully you will get a chance to visit again and see all the improvements that are being made. Thank you again for the feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve.

Hotel Vertigo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

We are just finishing our stay here. Hotel was clean and comfortable. We did not hear our neighbors but we could hear quite a bit of movement upstairs. Everything is in walking distance of this hotel....or within public transportation. We felt very comfortable in the neighborhood both day and night. This hotel was removed enough from Union Square where we did not feel bombarded by the big tourist attractions. It was great!

1 Thank ssminey79
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear ssminey79,

Thank you so much for the 5-star review! Although I may be biased, I agree 100% with your observations! We look forward to your return to San Francisco and the Hotel Vertigo!

Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple of nights in our honeymoon in March 2013. Overall, I was really impressed with the hotel especially given the price we paid (~$120 a night).

It would have been nice of them to acknowledge our honeymoon in some way but I did not expect it given the price we paid. I also requested a room with a bay window (after reading the reviews here) but they never acknowledged this request during the check in process and it was only when we got to the room that we found out it wasn't one. Again this did not bother me too much as it is not a luxury hotel so you can't expect much.

Now onto the positives: the Nob hill location of the hotel was just perfect in my opinion. I found union square and fisherman's wharf to be too touristy and busy and I'm glad we did not pay the premium to stay there. Nob Hill however is an affluent area with plenty of restaurants and east access to union square and public transport. The hotel also has free wifi which always worked well and the staff were really friendly.

Overall, I was really happy with the choice of hotel and I would definitely return if the price remained as affordable.

Dear Amy 3103,

Let me begin by saying Congratulations! I'm sorry we did not acknowledge that you were on your honeymoon upon check-in.

In addition, we have been in high demand selling out and has been difficult for us to accommodate every request. We do take every guests request seriously and if possible will more than happily fulfill them.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed our location, free wi-fi and found our wonderful staff to be very friendly. If your travels lead you back to San Francisco please reach out to me directly when making your reservations.

jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com
Aschaffenburg, Germany
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here in March for 4 Nights and there was nothing to complain.
Check in was uncomplicated and the Room was big, with a nice bathroom, a big LCD-TV, free W-Lan and a very comfortable bed.
Staff was very helpful, had a lot of tips for S.F. and they also booked the airport shuttle, thx again!
The location is great, because it is only a short walk to China Town or Union Square and if you don´t want to walk, there is a bustop right in front of the Hotel.
The next Cable Car Stop is also only a few minutes away :)
Most importand, the location is absolut safe!!!
It is not the newest Hotel or extremly modern, but there is something a lot of modern Hotels will never have.......CHARM!
I will come back if visiting S.F. again.

Tip: For Breakfast and more(had a great Soup) go to Thad´s Cozy Cafe right across the Street!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BroncoBomber
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear BroncoBomber,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I’m so glad your visit to our hotel and San Francisco was a success. Thank you for pointing out all the great amenities the rooms provide along with the helpful and great service you received from our front desk. In regards to our hotel, you’re absolutely right---CHARM! We are committed to providing excellent service to all our guests. We hope your travels bring you back to San Francisco soon!

Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We've stayed at the Hotel Vertigo several times--our daughter goes to Academy of Art University and her dormitory is just down the street, so this is convenient when we go to visit or move her into her room. We've checked out some of the other hotels in the area, but the remodeled Vertigo is preferable (to us) to one of the "classic" (read-old) hotels. (Do you ever wonder how often they wash those floral polyester bedspreads in those other places? We do.) They use nice duvet covers here.

They keep it clean and maintained. One (minor) issue we had the first time we stayed was the bathtub was chipped and looked bad--the last time we were there they had a refinishing company re-coating the tubs, so they aren't afraid to spend money to keep the place up.

Be aware of the parking situation--no parking lot, so either you pay valet charges through the hotel or (what we do), park in one of the parking garages down the street--a little cheaper. Also, note the white "loading zone" in front--even though it's marked, the city gave me a ticket for parking there (while loading!) between 4:30 and 6:00 pm. Bummer!

In any event, if you want a more modern vibe and less of a 'Grand Central Station' feel--smaller place, more personal service--give Vertigo a try. Also, the connection to the movie is pretty cool.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SteveM777
Haiyi, Manager at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
StevenM777,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other travelers and the Hotel Vertigo. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our facilities and service for all guests to enjoy. I am glad to hear that you noticed the refinishing company that was on site since we do take pride in providing great service and facilities. I would appreciate it if you could reach out to me so I may address and resolve the minor issue with the tub you had during your stay.

I’m so happy to hear that you have stayed with us several times especially since it’s so close to the Academy of Art University. We look forward to welcoming you back and upon your return please do not hesitate to contact me directly to make your future reservation.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Great location, but... Walls are paper thin, you can hear your neighbours like they are in the same room, also air conditioner is VERY loud, if you neighbour has it on you can't sleep. If you have a car, they have no free parking, only vallet parking, costing you 35 dollar per night.

1 Thank Dolly1245
Haiyi, General Manager at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Dolly1245,

Thank you for taking the time to offer this review. The comments and suggestions of our guests are taken very seriously, and help us in achieving our goal on a daily basis to improve on our products and service. On occasion, we do not meet the expectations of our guests.
Your comments regarding the thin walls and the noisy air conditioning will certainly be re-evaluated and look for improvements. I am sorry that you found the parking to be expensive but our valet prices are competitive.

We offer to you our sincerest apologies for not meeting your expectations. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you at the Hotel Vertigo in the near future.

Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Hotel Vertigo is an extensively-renovated hotel about 5 blocks from Union Square, with mixed modern-retro theme. I could explain about the orange leather armchairs and so on, but let's just say that if you look at the various websites offering their rooms, you will get a fair idea.

On that subject, their own website appears to offer very good and cheap deals. I didn't have to pre-pay which was useful from a budgeting point of view. The room was a good size, with a soft but comfortable bed and good bathroom with shower/bath combination.

Wireless Internet was complimentary but when you sign up it offers you faster access for an extra fee. For email and web-browsing, the basic service was perfectly good enough. Note: the username and password are on the little cardboard folder they put your key-cards in. The room has a good-sized electronic safe, I guess it would take any size of laptop.

There isn't a restaurant on-site, so if you get some food from one of the great delis in San Francisco, make sure you buy or bring cutlery etc., although they have a corkscrew at reception.

There's a fridge for your use in the room.

Finally, on check-out, check you get an actual credit card receipt. When I left the hotel the staff member (French? Italian?) just gave me a copy of the bill, so I needed to go back to the front desk and ask for one. Probably just an oversight though.

Excellent value, stylish, and the rate was very good (the days I stayed there, most of San Francisco was very expensive, I suppose there must have been a convention or something in town. I'd return, unless I wanted to pay more for something slightly more central.

Room Tip: If you have a room at the back of the hotel, which is very quiet by the way, there was no cellphone...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Haiyi, Manager at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear MJB 1001,

Thanks for the comprehensive review. I'm glad you all had such a nice time.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel next time you are in San Francisco!