“A themed hotel with character”
Review of Hotel Vertigo

Hotel Vertigo
Ranked #71 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I love Hitchcock. I loved the lobby of this hotel. Bright and white with fast internet, I enjoyed drinking coffee and working in this lobby. Unfortunately I booked this one last minute and checked in super late (after 10p). I was given a room closest to the lobby (It may have been the handicapped room)... and it was rough. The room was old/bad and not old/good. The lighting was dingy. The furniture was old/bad -- veneer finishes not of quality. The carpet was old stained and a but torn. Not character with quality, but sort of like an old tenement or something more suited to be found through an expensive AirBnb rental. The fixtures in the bathroom and tile was cheap and old. This place was renovated but not with enough money... disappointing. Perhaps a different room on a higher floor or something would have been a completely different/better experience. Reasonable rates but should be a better value.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Max K,

Thank you so much for your review and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your time working in our beautiful lobby with fast internet and complimentary coffee and tea. My apologies to you that the room you were placed in did not meet your standards and I would highly appreciate if you could reach out to me so I may resolve the issues this room had. I hope your future travels lead you back to the Hotel Vertigo!

Jaime Gonzalez
Front Office Manager
Hotel Vertigo
415 885 6800
jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I loved my stay at the Vertigo Hotel in San Francisco. It is the hotel that is in Hitchcock's Vertigo and was renovated a few years ago. It is within easy distance of Union Square but out of the bustle. Located as it is near the campus of the Art University there were always people around and students working in cafes. If you didn't want to walk back up the hill home there was a bus line outside the door. I had a room looking onto a light well with the windows of neighbouring apartments and felt like I was in Rear Window as well. The tea and coffee provided in the room was yummy and there were lots of places nearby to buy food or to eat. The service was good. My room was starting to look in need of some sprucing up (chipped paint) but it was fine.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Anne H
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Anne H,

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. We are pleased that you enjoyed our accommodations, service and prime location of the hotel! It sounds you like you truly enjoyed your visit in San Francisco, which is a sheer delight to hear! Thank you also for providing the tip about the bus line, as I'm sure our future guests will appreciate it! We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to San Francisco, thanks again!

Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

staff was nice, we had a room to the backyard which was quiet, walls were a little bit thin so we could sometimes hear our loud british neighbours. we were a little bit disappointed with the decor which looked nice but felt somewhat cheap. we liked the new bathroom a lot. stopping over from our hawaiitrip, we felt a little cold and used the radiator. it has no temperature control so you can either switch it on or not. we felt this was a little poor for a boutique hotel. there are two bus stops in walking distance and you can walk to union square in 5 minutes (coming back is an uphill walk). there are 3 nice breakfast options very close to the hotel. we thought the hotel was okay for the money. but we would try to find a more central hotel next time.

Dear sugarlight,

Your comments about your stay with us are much appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the Trip Advisor community! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the service of our staff as well as the location of your room, as overlooking the greenery out back can be quite serene. We are sorry that we fell short of your personal expectations about the decor and architecture of the hotel, but overall, we are glad that you enjoyed your visit and do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

A great choice if you want to stay in the Union Square area. Only a 7 minute walk down to Union square - the location saves you a little bit of money as they main hotels around Union are much more expensive. Great little hotel - comfortable beds, bathrooms and has all the features needed. Laundromat, liquor store and breakfast options within 1 minute. Staff helpful offering ways to get to the airport, fishermans wharf and other attractions. We walked from the hotel to Alamo Square, Westfield, Pacific Heights and the Ferry building (30 or so minutes). At night the area a few streets down can be a little dodgy but the actual surrounds of Vertigo are fine. Would recommend for people who want value and a great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CC161
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear CC161,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. As you mentioned, our location certainly provides easy access to all points of interest within the city and provides a nice haven off the beaten path around Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf, especially after a long day of sightseeing! We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest on your next visit to San Francisco!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights at the end of January / start of February 2013.

I arrived at about 12.30pm off a very long flight, to be greeted by a fairly matter-of-fact (female) receptionist who said no rooms were ready yet and I should go for a walk and come back about two hours' later. Exhausted, I instead chose to have a doze on the comfy seats in the lobby.

When I eventually did get checked-in, by a more personable (male) receptionist, I was given a room on the 2nd floor (just one floor above the ground/lobby). The room was individually furnished and quite spacious. I would have preferred a room with a bath, but there you go.

The bed was large and very comfortable, and the bathroom was clean and bright. There was a modern flat-screen TV on the wall, though the selection of channels wasn't great.

Wi-fi is free and the signal was fine.

The room also included a refrigerator and safe, as well as a quirky (that word again!) coffee-maker!

I do not think that the hotel provides any food service at all at any time of day, but there are plenty of diners, etc, close-by.

The immediate area is OK, but hotel staff readily advise guests to avoid some areas quite close-by. I would not say I was nervous when out after dark, but was certainly on my guard and do not particularly like not being able to relax when on a well-earned, expensive holiday!

There are numerous must-see sights in San Francisco and it is a city with a beautiful setting. It is well-worth visiting for these but, having now done so, I wouldn't see any reason to go back again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear GavBelfast,

Your comments about your stay with us are much appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the Trip Advisor community! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations of our hotel. We also appreciate sharing your encounters with our Front Desk Hosts as we will be sure to share this information with the Hotel Manager and Executive Management team accordingly. Overall, we are glad to hear you enjoyed the sights of the city and do hope that you'll reconsider making a second visit to San Francisco again in the future!

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Wouldn't stay here again due to the noise disruption.
I think because it's a lower star accommodation expense was spared in insulation and sound deadening.
Don't get a room by the elevator!
Overall the room was nice, beds comfy and great location, right by some really cheap eats.
If I was in San Fran again, I would choose one of the top 5 rated trip advisor hotels and not this one.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank 00charlzy00
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear 00charlzy00,

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. We are sorry to hear that you had a less than favorable impression of our hotel in terms of noise, especially with a room near the elevator, as with every hotel. However, we are glad to hear that you overall did enjoy our accommodations, the comfortable bedding package and our convenient location. We look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back on a future visit to San Francisco.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Renee E