“Okay hotel, but don't book room 618”
Review of Hotel Vertigo

Hotel Vertigo
Ranked #71 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our stay in this hotel ended up being okay, the location is fine, handy for transport and sightseeing, free computer access and helpful staff. Unfortunately though on arrival we were originally told we were in room 618 and on arriving in the room couldn't quite believe what we were seeing. We had expect a quirky, boutique hotel room, and were faced with what looked like a student bedsit. The bed was a fold up sofa bed (which had a tear in one of the arms), the sheets were marked, the window didn't lock, the wardroom door was broken and the towel rail in the bathroom was hanging off the wall (to name a few faults). We were initially told that there were no spare rooms, luckily we had booked this trip through a travel agent, and after they had been in touch, we were finally moved rooms the next day, and received an apology from the manager. The next room, was like it was in a different hotel, and was exactly what we had expected. I would stay in this hotel again if I was travelling on a budget, I would just be extremely selective about the room that I booked.

Room Tip: Specify you don't want a sofabed, and definitely not room 618.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Debbity
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thank you for the comprehensive review. Please accept my apologies that we were not able to accommodate you from the beginning in the room we moved you to. We appreciate the feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve. I hope that if your travels lead you back to San Francisco that you will consider giving us another chance.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Vertigo

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Scenesetter: on our US trip we looked for unusual accommodation with a bit of character.

Hotel Vertigo stood out for us because it's where Alfred Hitchcock filmed his famous thriller of the same name. Apparently Kim Novak actually lived at the hotel during filming. The movie plays on loop on a screen in the foyer, and the quirky furnishings add atmosphere. The hotel is also a reasonable price for SF.

We stayed twice at The Vertigo, when we arrived in the US and before flying out; we chose to return there based on our first booking, so fair to say we really liked it.

The good things:
* Nob Hill location is pleasant and convenient
* Vertigo is a short walk to the CBD incl. Union Square and Chinatown
* some very nice restaurants nearby, ask the staff for recommendations (thanks Sean!)
* hotel is old of course, but recently refurbished in funky orange, chocolate and white
* rooms are a reasonable size and clean; beds comfy
* bathrooms are clean and roomy; configurations vary, some have baths, others enormous showers. Toiletries are good.
* wifi is free and very fast
* there's a computer downstairs for guest use, and we saw it being frequently used.

To watch:
* no onsite parking - but several garage options available within a block
* we had NO problems with our bookings at all...
* however, we spoke to two different guests while waiting in the foyer, both of whom had made a booking but found themselves without a room. One told us about how she was re-booked at another hotel owned by the chain that owns Vertigo, but it was in a less savoury area and she felt unsafe there. TIP: phone ahead to confirm your booking on the morning of your arrival.

Room Tip: Call ahead on the day of your arrival to confirm your booking. Bathroom configurations differ so as...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissAnd123
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

I’m delighted that you enjoyed our great location, as you mentioned close to Union square and Chinatown. I'm so happy that you guys came back after your 1st encounter with our staff and hotel. In addition, Sean is such a great asset especially since he can provide great recommendations for places all over San Francisco. I will definitely pass on your compliments and hope to have you back in San Francisco sometime soon!

jgonzalez@haiyi-hotels.com

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've stayed at Hotel Vertigo for a weekend in San Francisco with my girlfriend. As soon as I got there I've got upgraded to a better room than the one reserved, great. The room was big, clean, well furnished and cozy. Bathroom was a bit small but still ok. For what I paid I believe it couldn't be a better stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sard-eller

Thank you for your review and I'm delighted that we were able to upgrade you. We hope to have you back here again sometime soon.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've stayed at some shockers in San Francisco - mainly due to the age of most of the buildings. This hotel has very nice, light and bright rooms which have been refurbished. Furnishing is new, if a little quirky. Staff mostly were good but had an issue when we first arrived. Had booked our room 10mths in advance - aside from sending through confirmation, no reply was made to a couple of other emails I sent. Our flight was delayed, so we arrived about 4 hrs later than scheduled. The room we were given was not what we had booked - no bath in bathroom and a couple of other features not there. When I questioned it the next morning, they insisted that the room was correct, but I was under the impression that it had been a first-come-first-serve situation. That said, they did move us and the rest of our stay was in a room per our booking.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janet J

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Vertigo on a future visit to San Francisco. I'm glad that we were able to accommodate you in the room of your preference and that we were part of your experience.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for 10 days in San Fran. The hotel is decked out in a quirky orange colour that really reflects the beautiful Californian sunshine. The reception staff were a mixed bag. The foreign girls seemed to be more knowledgeable than the locals. We got some great advice from one receptionist which led us to taking the train out to Ocean Beach for sunset...amazing. The hotel didn't serve food so we Tried Sears down the street which had the most amazing breakfast.

The hotel was good value, clean and in an excellent location for exploring the city. Also the fridge in our room was a real bonus.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Oddsoxrocks

I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay and that you had a memorable sunset at Ocean Beach. I hope your travels lead you back to San Francisco!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

First time visitor to USA, starting a road-trip in San Fran. Hotel Vertigo is nicely located in a good part of the city. The whole city seemed pretty safe. Be prepared to either walk loads of steep hills, or get a $14 weekly pass for public transport. That's the best option. A single ticket to the touristy area at Fisherman's Wharf is a pricey $6.

Also be prepared for the enormous number of unfortunate homeless people. Not many in the area around Vertigo, but lots in other areas including the main shopping district. It's quite a sad situation for them, and I can't help thinking in a UK city of 800,000 residents we'd do a better job of looking after those below the poverty line.

Back to Vertigo. My friend and I each had standard rooms. Out of the 4 hotels we stayed in, this was the only one with a ceiling fan. Everyone we met on the front desk was very friendly, talkative, responsive, helpful and took time to answer our queries as newbies to USA.

Thanks to some of that advice, we watched the baseball playoffs in the local sports bar about 100 yards down the road. It was an electric but friendly atmosphere as San Fran won the World Series. A genuinely mixed demographic of men and women, young and middle-aged.

And upon another recommendation we had dinner in Chinatown at House of Nanking. The best food in town.

My room was on the 2nd floor, my friend's on the 4th. Both very quiet with zero noise outside or in. Seems Vertigo has a good clientele! My bed was soft and comfortable. Plenty of space to move around with a desk and 2 chairs. The shower seemed pretty new, and was good. The room safe was big enough to store my 17" laptop - unlike most.

Just 2 very small things - these are observations rather than complaints - that Vertigo might consider. The cold tap in the bathroom had very little pressure. Whilst brushing teeth it wasn't enough to wash away spit, so I took to brushing in the shower. And the free wifi had a poor signal (1 or 2 bars) and frequently dropped out. Maybe 1 or 2 wireless access points on higher levels could solve?

Overall a fantastic, comfortable and welcoming place. My first choice if I ever return to San Fran.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Boz-Maidstone

I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay and for taking advantage of our great location. I am so happy that you found our staff engaging, knowledgeable and helpful! You definitely happen to be in San Francisco at an amazing time with the Giants winning the World Series! We hope to see you next year when they do it again.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is a nice hotel with nice rooms in a pretty good location for sight-seeing the major landmarks of San Francisco. The hotel is a few blocks from union square. It is also a few blocks from a neighborhood you won't want to walk alone in at night.

When we arrived late at night from Boston, tired and cold we were greeted at the front desk by a person who seemed rather annoyed that we arrived. They didnt say hello or welcome and just asked for our voucher from our travel agent. While we were checking in, a group of foreigners got stuck in the hotel elevator and instead of assisting them (they were stuck in there for about 5 minutes) continued to check people in. It was a really odd scene and we were kind of shocked about the service level considering the hotel itself is rather upscale and nice.

The room was modern, comfortable, and a decent size so no complaints there. We would probably not stay here again and would try and find something of comparable price is a slightly better neighborhood where they also hopefully have a friendly staff that appreciates their guests.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

I'm disappointed upon reading your review that the staff was not able to provide the great service and kindness which we are known for. It seems that we fell short of expectations and do apologize that we were not able attend to you in our signature manner. I would really appreciate the opportunity to understand your concerns in more detail and hope that you will reach out to me directly.

415 885-6800