“Very Nice hotel!!!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“Very Nice hotel!!!”
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I recommend this hotel right in downtown San Francisco.
Very clean, comfortable beds, nice staff, great price.
The only thing is that I had to wait to get my car back in the morning for about 30 minutes, they have a valet parking for 35 dollars it's convenient but call from your room in advance if you are in a hurry...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Murielalaplage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 23, 2011

We booked a Vertigo Queen room at this hotel a few months in advance of our trip to SF. When we arrived to the hotel we were told that there had been some glitch in their booking system and they did not have a room for us. Very matter of fact about it. No other explanation. When I looked down at their desk I saw that they had also done that for several other people. I had read some so so reviews of this place with similar horror stories, but I thought how could that happen to us. My sense is that they overbook the place thinking that some people will not show up. Very poor management philosophy. The only reason I give them one bullet rating is they got us a room in a "sister" hotel nearby and paid for our room. Fortunately we booked through Orbitz and I got a call that my credit card payment was being reversed. The other hotel we stayed at was certainly not even close to the kind of room we expected when we booked at Hotel Vertigo. I will save that review for that hotel. Very poor management at this hotel. DO NOT book a reservation here. You may not have a room when you get there.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Anonymous1213
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Just returned from a great stay at Hotel Vertigo. We arrived too early to check in so they provided a secure lockup for our bags and we went out to explore the city. We called while we were out and they had a room ready for us an hour ahead of schedule.

When we arrived at the room we were pleasantly surprised. It was almost exactly as pictured on the website, with a walk-in closet, bar fridge and a large safe. They also had a full-size ironing board and iron and a full-size hair dryer....bonus! Even more importantly, the bed passed my "bed bug inspection." Although it is in an older building everything felt very modern including the room locks and the decor. It was also quite spacious and had a big flatscreen tv. We had an inside room (without a street view) on the 7th floor. Our stay was very quiet and completely relaxing and the room was made up carefully every day while we were out.

The front desk staff was friendly and courteous and the wireless internet was fast. The hotel was also in a great neighbourhood, with a gelateria next door and coffee shops nearby. If I have one complaint it would be that the elevator is a bit slow, but that's a minor detail. I really can't say enough good things about this hotel and hope to stay there again soon.

Room Tip: Inside room = quiet, but not much of a view
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank mangiaquesto
Philly
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Overall, I'd say this hotel was very good, and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a conveniently centralized and fun location for the lowest possible rates in the city (approximately $100 to $110/night for petite queen room). The room itself, was just average. Reasons for the average room rating is because of noise and lack of natural sunlight, but this may have just been the luck of the draw on my room pick, or it may be the room you can expect for that low of a rate.

My room was the 1 of 2 rooms on the floor that connected with another room by an adjoining door - which is probably the reason for the noise I noticed in the afternoon. It would have been unbearable if my neighbors were different people or noisy at night. Also, because of the room's location, there was only 1 small window (not the large window in the pictures depicted above). The lack of natural light gave a somewhat stuffy feel.

On the bright side, this hotel is located in the heart of the Union Square neighborhood, which is known for the best shopping and great restaurants located all around the hotel. Within a radius of 4 blocks in every direction, you will find (1) awesome bars and nightlife (TIP: go to Polk street just 2 blocks right when you walk out the hotel doors. A street lined with bars and a particularly cool one also named Vertigo), (2) restaurants (everywhere - including Sears 2 blocks away for THE REAL San Fran breakfast), (3) Shopping (all around union square), and (4) transportation (including BART elevated train directly to/from Airport and Fisherman's Warf area), and cable cars. In San Fran, this type of location is very key.

The staff was very cool, very welcoming, and very friendly. I had a blast in San Fran, and when I return, I would consider staying here again because the unbeatable rate and key location are too tempting to pass up... after all, i didnt spend much time in my room.

Room Tip: Request a room that is NOT an adjoining room.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Emoskimo
München
Reviewed April 22, 2011

My expectations were completely excelled. I am hotel manager my own - so my point of view might be a bit tighter, but I absolutely can recommend the VERTIGO Hotel.

PRO: location (5min. walk to Union Square, 10min. to main underground station Powell St.), rooms (stylish, large shower, nice color, Ipod docking station), business corner with computer / printer and the staff. Especially the concierge/porter was is so helpful in a very, charming typical American way.
CONTRA: only some corners in the room were not cleaned very well. But as I said - my view is very tight - not well means there were some kind of small dust near the window.

Value for money is good - but you should choose the new renovated rooms! I myself got an upgrade in case I stayed 12 nights.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Sven1001
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 13, 2011

We had a 'run of house room' for approx AUD $167 booked through a travel aggent back in Australia who suggested this hotel.

Check in is at 3pm, although the staff say they will check you in earlier if your room is available. Our room was not. One of the two reception staff were good about this the other a little rude at the start and then went out of her way when we decided to wait in the hotel lobby until room was ready and then she became very pleasant and regularly checked for room.

I would advise if you are flying into San Fran early in the morning book an early check-in or a day before so you can get into your room, this would have made life a lot more comfortable for us as we had just arrive in San Fran at 9:30am after a 14hr flight.

The room looked amazing, beds are amazingly comfortable and once we checked in we went straight up and slept for a few hours before venturing out and about. We were in room 701 - with a view on front street and over the top of the buildings across from us, we were both impressed with the view we had (couldn't see landmarks but could see the bay and across from it).

Location can be a little daunting if you don't know the area but after a walk around we decided this is a nice location if you intend going downtown for shopping and stuff. Easy walking distance to Chinatown, downtown shops, union square, downtown car hire outlets etc etc. There is also a yummy pizza shop two doors down from hotel.

Shower and bath room amenities were great, good quality products for guest use.

Free Wireless available in room and then desk top computer available for guest use in lobby.

Room Tip: shop around online
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bunji77
Roeland Park, Kansas, USA
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We stayed here for two nights while visiting San Francisco for a wedding. Hotel Vertigo was very well-priced, particularly given the area. The hotel was easily accessible to everywhere we needed to go. It took us only minutes to arrive at each destination. I particularly liked the modern decor, free wireless and high-tech touches like in-room iPod player and flat-screen TV.

Room Tip: When you book here you have the option of staying
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple