“Excellent review #66. I don't know what I can add...”
Review of Pizzeria Delfina

Pizzeria Delfina
Ranked #390 of 5,854 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Mission District
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I've had pizza all over Italy, from Naples to Milan. I don't know what kind of authority that gives me, but I like to think I know my pizza. Delfina combines Italian tradition with fresh California ingredients for some unique pizzas, with the option to build your own. We got takeout, so my exposure to the atmosphere was limited. Needless to say, on our next trip to Mission, we'll make an effort to eat in and enjoy the experience. Excellent value and friendly staff.

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

There are a variety of unique pizzas. You can build your own if you dont find the perfect one, but the combos they offer are great. Our group ordered 4 pizzas and they were all wonderful. There was a wait outside on a monday night of 20-30 min at 6pm, so plan ahead. I would definitely return if I had the chance.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Strongly recommended by a friend, favourable TA reviews and a strong "Top Pick" LP review for the restaurant, this combination motivated us to make the 1 block pilgrimage from our weekend rental. We strangely visited this place twice in the space of an hour - the first time we just had a few drinks and munched on thin, crunchy breadsticks accompanied by pecorino (i think) cheese, chili flakes and possibly oregano branches. My dad and I both had an Anchor Brew Steam Boat Beer and then a dry cider. This was $28 ex service charge. For bottled beer this is probably not steep but I am quickly learning that SF is not a 'budget' city.

Wandering the area not taken by anywhere nearby we came back at around 6.30 to find it was BUSY. It was a Friday night with excellent weather.

They have a chalkboard, non-reservation, first-come, first-serve system that works well. We sat down within 15 minutes again outside.

The outside seating is on the sidewalk which is nice to watch the local residents walk around. We ordered the fresh marinade anchovies which comes in olive oil and with thin slices of toasted bread. We also ordered the summer squash with mint and almonds - this is quite good and very refreshing. Summer squash (for the European reader) is very similar to courgette but a little less watery and spongy. Then we shared a Neapolitan pizza. This does not come with mozzarella but I highly recommend that you get this as an extra. The pizza was very light, very thin with a rich tomato sauce and lively addition of tart capers. It is not greasy with a light touch of olive oil. We drank this with the Montepulciano which was juicy and soft. Encouraged and shameless, we pushed on to eat a rhum baba. Now this was not the best baba I've ever had but there were strong points about it. The pastry was very light and a pleasure to eat. The cream had a weird texture which didn't make me think it was fresh cream or maybe it is just very under whipped. The cream itself could have had a stronger taste (say vanilla seeds throughout) as the apricot glaze is so sweet that it overpowers the cream taste and so overall there is a lack of balance. Nonetheless was it good? Yes and would I eat it again, probably especially if someone in front of me ordered it. All of this was $78

The service is good even during peak busy times we found and the staff were particularly helpful for foreigners visiting out of town.

I highly recommend this place especially if you are in the Mission/Castro/Tenderloin area. IF you don't want to sit down or don't have time to eat in, they do a takeaway service which was very popular. Personally if I lived in the area, I would find this very hard to resist.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Delicious Thin Pizza like I had all over in Italy, but better.....The crust is great does not fall apart and the cheese toppings are excellent.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Went here as it got good reviews in the DK guide to SF. Had a very long day walking SF and we hot, tired and hungry. Bottom of Filmore and tried to get a bus but as we had no change decided to walk up Filmore, for those who know SF or have seen the hills in the movies, yes it is one of those. We just got in and seated before queues began to build thank goodness, and it was only 5:30. Not as quiet and relaxed as we would have liked but once we had a drink and ordered soon appreciated how hard the staff work and how good the simple but authentic and how wonderful the food was! Bit a bit pricey and wine not that great for the price but all in all it is well worth seeking out away from the usual touristy restaurants. Very much a locals place and the atmosphere was good. We had a bottle of wine, warm marinated olives, grilled asparagus, 2 pizzas, and shared a tiramisu and it was just over $100. Would go again.