“Great as usual, but missing the pool”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of W San Francisco

W San Francisco
Ranked #69 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Stockholm, Sweden
“Great as usual, but missing the pool”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

This is my favorite hotel while I'm in San Francisco. Great location, great service, cool rooms and features. Unfortunately they have decided to remove the pool - so now the value (for me) has been reduced somewhat. I cannot take those laps before breakfast anymore.

Staying at a W is an experience of its own and has to be just that; experienced - it cannot be properly described and I won't attempt to do so.

Room Tip: Try to get a cool corner room with either the city view overlooking Moscone center or with, what can...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Hello!

We are glad to your favorite hotel in San Francisco! Our talent always strives to live up to our Whatever/Whenever service style. We are updating WET and FIT currently. It will be finished this summer, so come by and see it on your next visit. I hope we can welcome you back soon!

Alexa W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

I was excited to find a room at W SF at a reasonable rate on very short notice. The hotel was adequate, as was the room, but the rooms appeared ready for an update. the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was adequate. I was disappointed that there was no coffee in the room and I had to walk 2 blocks to find some. the decor was modern - but seemed a little on the cheap side to me.

Green Features: I am an interior designer so I suppose I should have noticed the W's practices - however I didn't. No comments on them at this time.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hello,

I'm glad you found your room to be comfortable while staying with us. The W bedding is by far the most comfortable hotel bed out. You can bet you will always wake refreshed from a night in our beds. We can bring a coffeemaker to your room upon your request. Just give us a call at Whatever/Whenever and it will promptly be delivered. We also invite you to The Living Room for some complimentary coffee served every morning.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Antioch, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

Staying at W Hotel was great, although getting there was a bit tricky because of the construction, a big signage would be great. We really had an unforgettable reunion and stay at this hotel. We felt very welcomed. The staff are very friendly and helpful from the day we checked-in to the day we checked-out, especially Annalyn. We would say thats she's an outstanding employee, very knowledgeable not only about the hotel and its restaurants, she also knows places where to go which made our trip easier. Eating at Trace Hotel for breakfast as she recommended turned out to be really yummy. Everything we ordered was good but I liked their own caramel that goes with the French toast. Thumbs up for the Chicken Karage as appetizer at their bar that she recommended also. We will definitely comeback at this hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Nicole,

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Annalynne is a great person to contact if you need a few tips. She always knows the best places to eat and grab a few drinks. We are all a bit partial to TRACE. The french toast is a must try. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

I was celebrating my birthday and I was hoping to get upgraded to suite.
The staff was great from the moment we arrived.
Gianna checked us in and upon hearing it was a special occasion, she pulled some strings and hooked us up the WOW Suite; the views were as amazing as the suite.
She also sent up a desert for my birthday.
Awesome stay at the W San Francisco, thanks for making it a memorable trip.

Room Tip: It helps to be Platinum with SPG. High floors offer the best views.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello!

We love celebrating with our guests! It sounds like you got the full VIP experience! The Wow Suite is amazing with spectacular views and that extra space you need for the birthday festivities. I'll be glad to share your comments with Gianna. She will be glad to know she helped make your birthday a special one.

All the best,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

I hadn't stayed at the W San Francisco in at least 6 years so it was a very pleasant surprise to see this hotel offered at a great rate for the night I was staying there. And I hadn't stayed at a W brand in a while since my travel demands decreased the last few years. It was nice to re-engage with the W experience if only for one night.

As a compliment to W, I have seen other hotels try to emulate their services and experiences. I have always felt W was the first larger chain brand to do style correctly and they certainly set the bar high. The W San Francisco has perhaps the most unique rooms of any W I have experienced. With the window shutters and "perch" area, the desk and cabinet unique set up etc. The Bliss body care guest amenities have always been among my favorites offered by hotels. The moodish lighting in the lobby and hallways isn't for everyone but I dig it and appreciate not being blinded by unhealthy light.

The area around the W San Francisco has positively transformed over the years. Whole Foods (if you care for it) is three blocks away, an array of other dining and healthy/faster foods no more than a block and of course Moscone Convention Center across the street.

I don't do the bar scene but it appears the downstairs bar/restaurant was a hot spot.

Note: The gym is under construction (not sure for how much longer) and there is a temporary space-restricted gym for use. The fitness experience is the most important part of my hotel needs so the temp space was a disappointment. Somehow hotels and booking engines/sites should notify guests pre-booking of these type of experience alterations.

Green Features: Good usage of lighting in the rooms with options for multi or single use lighting sources.
Mission Viejo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed in the W the first year they opened and it was quite different. The rooms were nicely decorated and service was attentive and quick. I think the novelty has worn off, but it still feels better staying at the W than the other regular hotels near Moscone. However, the room I stayed in seemed to be less maintained. There are stains on the carpet. It was also odd that I opted for the green service where they did not have to change sheets or towels, but at least the bed should have been fixed, trash emptied and toiletries replenished. Also, the gym renovation was not what was described in the front desk, it was in a tent outside the building. Overall, ti was still a great stay and accommodated me with a penalty for leaving past check-in, rather than charging me for the full day.

Room Tip: I was at the 9th floor looking at 2 cranes and had a little bit of a view of the Bay Bridge. I guess...
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

One of the nicest rooms in terms of layout and function, with a modern flair. I don't usually like too modern but this was pretty nice. Not crazy about the lobby though...loud bad music and stark and grey.

Hello!

We love hearing about our guests enjoying their stays! Our guestrooms were designed to meet style and function in the middle, and create amazing stays. Our most popular function is the multi-port charging station. Don't worry about forgetting your chargers at home, we have just about any kind you could need.

The Living Room does offer a bit of a different vibe and we do have live DJ sets every evening. It's a popular spot for locals and guests alike. If you're looking for something a little more subdued, reach out to our Insider Gordon. He'd be glad to show you a few places.

All the best,