“Modern hotel, less than modern rooms”
Review of W San Francisco

W San Francisco
Ranked #68 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I love this hotel. It's a nice modern lobby. Their bar is awesome and probably makes some of the best martinis in the City. Their lobby and bar area underwent a refurb a few years ago, and I never understood what their thinking was. It's borderline kitschy compared to ultra-mod look it was before. If you've stayed at W's elsewhere around the world, this doesn't really cut it, the way it used to.
The rooms are a little on the small side, but that is OK. The bed is very comfy. The bathrooms are large. The nifty charging station has an iPhone Lightning cable that is not fully compatible with Apple's standards and refused to charge my iPhone 5. The rooms are "asian influenced" and have a weird color palate that is more "chic kid's room" than anything else. But it's still very comfy and had a nice design; it just wasn't to my individual taste.

It's my 2nd time staying at the W. It's conveniently located to everything and the service is great. I have no real complaints. And I'd love to stay here again. But if you want a really chic and trendy W? Try W Hong Kong. That one is amazing!!

Room Tip: Higher floor facing the Moscone Center Complex is better right now. Anything else, and you've g...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Alexa W, Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Hello!

We love when you stay with us! I'm glad you had a chance to stop in the Living Room for a martini (or two. Who's counting?!). The charging station in our guest rooms really does make traveling easier. Why bring all of your cords when we have them right here. If you are having issues with one, give us a call at Whatever/Whenever. We can bring you one up. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed here in December for a night. Was nice. Booked another 1 night stay and was a huge mistake.

First problem: I'm Starwood Gold and had to wait 10 minutes to check in. Upside, free internet.

2nd problem: incredibly thin walls, could hear everything in the hallway and next door.

3rd problem: bartender recommended a sushi restaurant near the concert venue. Didn't remember name but knew it was at the intersection of Lagun and Hayes. Took an Uber there. Got out, walked around...asked a local "where is the sushi restaurant?", response "Oh it closed a year ago."

4th problem: backup restaurant suggestion, Sauce, was terrible

5th problem: my friend dropped his car off to me at 8:30AM, I left at 11:30AM. Parking fee: $57. Parking fee for 24hrs of parking: $60. Oh but they gave me a discount to $50. Oh and only after complaining did they reduce it to $35.

Will never stay here again.

2  Thank Elitaste

Hello,

Our Welcome desk is often very busy with guests checking in. With only three welcome agents able to check guests in at a time, we do our best to make sure guests are checked in quickly and accurately. We like to spend time recognizing our SPG members and rewarding them for their loyalty. I'm glad you enjoyed free Wi-Fi. I apologize for the mix up on restaurants. I assure you, it wasn't intentional. I hope you enjoyed the concert!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Traveling with a large group on business. We made reservations well in advance and had received confirmation of ALL of our reservations. On the night we were to check in, about half of our group of 15 found out that their reservations had been cancelled for no apparent reason. Although most people were placed, two of us remained without a room for the night. The manager on site did find us another hotel to stay in but gave us the worst walking directions to our new hotel. The next morning as I tried to identify the root cause of our cancellations, a customer service rep communicated to us that they would be happy to set up rooms for us for the balance of our stay in San Francisco and would "make it up to us" by offering free breakfast! That last part felt like a half thought through effort to try to make things right. Overall, I was very dissappointed with the W and look to never staying there again! Be sure to double and triple check your reservations before you arrive!

Hello,

I assure you this is not common practice at our hotel. We are very through in our reservation process and take great care to ensure that all of our guests are well taken care of. I am glad to note we could get you in rooms for the remainder of your stay. I apologize for the mix up and though free breakfast doesn't make up for the inconvenience, we hope it made your stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Great location for the Mission and SOMA (South of Mission) neighborhoods. Welcoming staff, comfortable, quiet rooms. The fitness center is under construction, so unless you want treadmills and bikes the weights are limited. Otherwise I was happy with this experience, especially location-wise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Bay Bridge.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Hello!

Our location is one of the best features! Well, that and the welcoming talent. Our fitness center and pool is under construction for the next few months but will look even better once it's finished. You should come back soon to check it out.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

My friends and I did this road trip to SF and we chose W hotel because I stayed here last year and had a great experience then.. I was not disappointed but rather more impressed again! Anna Lynne at the concierge was extremely friendly and helpful, Alex front desk was very professional and friendly and that goes with everyone at the hotel from valet to their own Resto at Trace.. Would definitely recommend this place PLUS the location was just perfect .. Everything was so close.. Union Square, Moscone and our favorite cafe La Boulange!! We'll be back again! Thanks W!! Y'all rock!'n

• Stayed: February 2014

Hi!

Thanks for choosing to visit us again! I'm glad to hear we impressed you again! We are in the ideal location to explore everything San Francisco has to offer. If you are looking for something off the tourist track get with out Insider, Gordon. He'd be happy to give you the scoop on the best place to see. I look forward to passing your compliments along to our talent. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

The hotel is clean and the staff is friendly. The food they serve for in room dining is not prepared well. Also the hotel seems to get very busy and no one answers the phone. Great location in the heart of the city. My room had some water damage, so there are some needs with repair.

Hello,

Thank you for the compliments. Our talent loves welcoming our guests and ensuring every aspect of their stay is comfortable. If you find your room or any other part of the hotel in disarray, please let us know. We would be glad to fix it immediately. Same goes for your room service. We are glad to re-make or replace any item you order with another dish of your preference. I'm glad to note that you took full advantage of our location. I hope to see you next time.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Friendly staff, very helpful. Location to Moscone Center is excellent. Close walk to tons of restaurants and Union Square shopping. Room clean. Bed comfortable, but the top quilt was thin and plastic-like, so it got to be very hot in the middle of the night. Very hip atmosphere, not our bag, but this was our first stay at a W, so I don't know if they are all this way or not.
Overall, nice hotel with a great location, but not our speed.

• Stayed: January 2014

Hello,

We are located in the heart of the business district, but still close enough to San Francisco's most popular destinations. W style is often unexpected with the lively atmosphere and friendly service. Our talent takes care to ensure that your experience is a great one. If you are looking for something off the tourist track, reach out to our Insider, Gordon. He will be glad to provide some recommendations.