“If you want to get belittled by the night staff this is the place for you.”
Review of W San Francisco

W San Francisco
Ranked #65 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed here last night Dec 20th 2013. I had a certificate for a two night stay with this hotel. When I checked Ernest the front desk agent told me that it didn't show up as a comp, and that he would have to ask his manager. His manager approved it and that they would only put a 200 hold on my account. I checked into my room and discovered a used condom in the room, and felt that the room might have not been cleaned right. They changed my room and gave me another one. I checked my account and they charged me 717 dollars for a comped room. I informed them and their manager basically told me to be happy he honored the voucher. And where I even got it, as in who would give you a voucher to stay here. He said the charge would say even though I had a free room, and that it wasn't his problem that I would get charged overdraft fees. Even though I was told I would only have a 200 dollar deposit fee. I was treated as if it was a privilege that I was allowed to lay my head in their hotel. Luckily Priya and Jose made it better in the morning. If you don't look like you belong be careful. You're better off staying at the green tortoise hostel in the red light district. I'm glad they have understating people there like Jose and Priya.

• Stayed: December 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (2,205)

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend and would definitely stay again. Even though the check-in process was quite slow, service was attentive and friendly. I was able to get a good deal and upgraded to the Fantastic Suite (living room, bedroom, 2 bathrooms) - a lot more spacious than I had expected. Overall, rooms are top notch and location is extremely convenient, especially to Moscone Center and Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. The hotel is walking distance to Union Square as well and reasonably close to public transportation (Montgomery St. and Powell St. stations are both around a 10-15 minute walk). I found the lobby to be extremely loud, even by W standards, and thought it was overdone - but that's not a big deal unless you want to spend a lot of time in the lobby in the evenings.

There are a lot of hotels located close by, including the much more expensive ones like the St. Regis. I feel it is a good location for those familiar with San Francisco but if you are a first time visitor I would recommend staying closer to either Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf everything else being the same. On the other hand, if you are attending an event at either the Moscone or YBCA, give this W a try!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Did a quick overnight in this hotel. It's about half a mile from the nearest BART - an easy walk for us. Check-in was efficient. They were busy, so one of the staff went down the line giving out bottles of water for those that were waiting - a nice touch.

The decor is typical W - sparse and funky - not to everyone's tastes, but we loved it. The Living Room (i.e. the lobby) has a great bar, nice fireplace with seating and we did cocktails and a snack there - great service, and the food was tasty and well-presented. (We did the chicken liver pate and the chicken sandwich - both were very good.)

We got a room on the 6th floor, after getting a free upgrade to a king bed. I really like the touch of the music CD in the room (and some place to play it!) - we're both music nuts so having some new tunes to listen while getting ready to go out made it even more fun.

The bed was extremely comfortable - the pillows very much to our liking. Good lighting options, too - dimmer switches right by the bed allowed us to set the lighting level how we wanted it. Our room was a corner room, so we had a view over the street. Even though we were on a lower floor we didn't find the street noise to be bad at all. Bathroom amenities were great - good quality soaps, hairdryer, etc. Two bathrobes, and lighting in the closets all made it feel more luxurious.

The mini bar had some interesting items - a massive lollipop and "Get Lucky", an "Essentials Pleasure Set" from JimmyJane (I will let you do your own research on that one!).

The only thing that some would consider a downside is the club-like atmosphere late at night. We went out for dinner, and were planning on sitting the Living Room with a late night cocktail and to do some people-watching. But it was Saturday night, and the music and noise was extremely loud. Fine if that's what you like, but not really our thing. But i have to say that's not a flaw in their hotel - that is exactly the market they are aiming at. The room, however, was still an oasis of silence.

Definitely would recommend this downtown hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I was here for work - it was comped from my publisher so didn't pay much attention to the prices however the comfort level and the overall high quality of service was among the best I've experienced around the world. As far as chain hotels go, W is at the top of my list for good reason. My personal concierge Jesus was a god-send; I didn't take up much of his time however he had my laundry done and back within a few hours; it's the small things that really impressed me and their attention to detail left nothing out that I could think of.

Room Tip: I was up on the higher floors; very quiet; hardly heard any street noise at all and the view to the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Alexa W, Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us. I will be glad to share you compliments with Jesus. He is an asset to our team and is always going above and beyond to ensure that our guests have a memorable, stress-free stay. It's often the small things that require the most attention. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

All the best,
Alexa W.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Our room was lovely, the bedding was fantastic and the bathroom large. There was a coffee maker in the room and some free water which is nice. All in all a terrific room.
The staff was lovely. For instance... My fiance left his coat in the bar and the staff was super helpful tracking it down for us the next day, the boarding pass printer wasn't working and they jumped right in to print ours for us, etc.
We didn't use the gym or (indoor heated) pool but checked them out and I really regretted not having shoes and swimsuit. Both looked terrific.
And best of all, while the bar and restaurant are both popular/crowded spots, they've managed to do a great job of protecting guests from the noise. The first 4 floors of the hotel are lobby/bar/etc, then business center, then spa/gym/pool. So by the time you get up to the room floors there's no noise or disturbance at all. And a key is required to get above 4. It's also pretty easy to enter on Howard and go straight to the elevators, avoiding the crowd entirely.
That said, the evening we did do drinks in the bar we had a great time. Nice cocktail waitress, the DJ was loud enough to enjoy but we could still talk over the music.
All in all a great experience.

My only complaints:
The water pressure wasn't great.
Parking was over $50 a day which I understand is pretty much what you can expect to pay in downtown SF but it was still a shocker. If you can live without a car, I'd definitely recommend cabs, etc to avoid the parking fee.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I have stayed at the W San Francisco twice in the last couple of years, most recently in August 2013. I obviously like the hotel, or I would not have returned.I would not say it is the best W hotel I have seen, but it is a good one. The lobby is lively and fun , without being overwhelmed by a massive nightclub scene. Location is great---next door to SFMOMA, near Market Street, across from the Moscone Center, right down the street from the more elegant (and more expensive) St. Regis and Four Seasons. The value is pretty good, I think. Rooms are clean, modern and well designed with a good bathroom, though they are small. Many rooms have a nice view of the Bay Bridge. The entire hotel is full of interesting design elements. Complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning. I would return.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a Bay Bridge view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Great W rooms (the lighter decor option, no dark wood etc), easy to get downtown, but valet parking is ridiculous - it takes 20minutes to get the car, you huddle in this passage with every other guest hauling luggage, then as there's only room for 3 cars, you have to navigate yourself out of the impossibly narrow driveway. The lobby becomes typical W bar at night (so bit flashy), but it's SF, so the vibe is still much less flashy than Ws in Chicago or LA.

Room Tip: SW corner rooms have the best views
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple