“Golden Birthday at the W”
Review of W San Francisco

W San Francisco
Ranked #69 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 28, 2013

For my Golden Birthday (I turned 27 on the 27th!), I decided to visit the City that had the highest number of friends residing there. San Francisco turned out to be the best option, and I'm SO glad I ended up there. We crammed so many fun things into the long weekend, and the City didn't disappoint! I booked my trip (flight, hotel, car) through a vacation website (Funjet Vacations - DON'T recommend), and ended up staying at the W. Here are my thoughts:

The Good:
-The rooms are AWESOME. I was on the 31st floor with a killer view of the Bay! They are nicely decorated in a modern style with lots of white and teal.
-The mini-bar(s) are LOADED with goodies... including a "Pleasure Set" of erotic items that I found hilarious, but probably not family-friendly!
-The on-site valet is a great option if you have a rental car.
-The staff and Concierge were extremely helpful - providing detailed directions, maps, and suggestions throughout the trip.

The Bad:
-At only 27 years old, I felt a little old for the hotel.... the Lobby doesn't feel like a hotel, it feels more like a Club - dance/techno music playing, black lights, dark, bar-vibe.
-Some things seemed like they could use a little love and were a bit beaten-up. A few coats of paint and some spit-shine would really spruce it up.
-They failed to mention that the on-site valet was $52.00 PER DAY! This was a lovely $200+ in additional costs I hadn't expected.

Overall, I would definitely stay at the W again, but wasn't impressed enough to the point that I would seek one out again.

Room Tip: Request a room on one of the higher floors for a killer view and to create a distance between you an...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for W San Francisco

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Hotel is central to downtown so the location is very convenient.. Room was decent size and the bed was really comfortable. We have a corner room so the views were great. Decor is hip and trendy. Very clean. I loved the universal cell phone charger, nice touch.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexa W, Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Being located in the Financial District makes us a convenient choice for business travelers. We have easy access to the Bart and other public transportation. We are also within walking distance of many popular attractions. I am happy that you liked your room and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

Best wishes,
Alexandra W.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

This hotel has a good location, near MOMA but a few blocks from BART. It's super clean, quiet and has great views. The plastic light up Buddhas are trying too hard and the bathrooms have very little space to put your toiletries, but both are signature W touches. Beds are dreamy and pillows are perfect. This hotel is very quiet even though the lobby bar is always a scene.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We occupied a fantastic suite 28 floor in this W sfo. Very large and confortable suite, 2 bathrooms (why?) but a too smaller dressing room. The staff was really friendly. The view was WOW ( from SOMA to certainly twin peaks). For the furnitureof the room, if it s look nice, it looks too ....cheap. And we were near the lift: Noisy! when you compare with the other W in the world, you stay a little bit disappointed ( hong kong, Los Angeles, Doha, NYC ) . A +\- the breakfast: tasty, sufficient, but....expensive. Bar perfect. NB for the. Swimming pool, the dress area is really small without locker, why???

Room Tip: Far from the lift
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

There were many positive things about the hip and trendy W. We got a great deal on our rooms so it was definitely worthwhile. The location is very convenient and as good as any hotel in the city next door to the SF MOMA . The excellent service was everything you would expect from Starwood. The Bliss products in the rooms are nice. The concierge was extremely helpful and helped us navigate out of the city during the Bay to Breaker race traffic. He also gave us fantastic reccomendations for dinners in the city and although I have my favorite spots in SF I can now add two more to my list.
The rooms were a mixed bag. The decor is trendy, bordering on pretentious but not what I would call über luxurious. However I did love the glowing pink Buddha in the room . The city view was nice. The beds in a double room are super comfortable as others have said but small, doubles not queens as you would expect in a hotel of this caliber. The duvet covers are just awful. They are made of a scratchy heavy synthetic fabric and we hated them so much we took the covers off the duvet to get a good nights sleep the second night. The jacuzzi/pool area is tired and in need of some TLC. The jacuzzi was filled with scummy foamy bubbles and could use a cleaning but the towels were ample and fluffy.
Overall we had an excellent experience in the city and the W was a welcoming and fun choice with some room for improvement.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Warm, efficient welcome, a buzzy, stylish lobby, great views (including Bay to Breakers parade) wonderful bed, well-designed amenities
and right next to SFMoma Complimentary coffee is lobby is a nice touch, and garage works well

Room Tip: ask for a high floor facing Yerba Buena Gardens
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Staying here for a conference at the Moscone Center, which is right across the street. Can't beat the location for convenience. Very cool lobby bar. Extremely helpful staff. I chose this hotel because I always stay at a W Hotel in NYC. Compared to the New York W hotels, the rooms in the W SF are quite spacious. I have a corner room that adjoins my sons' double room, and they have been perfect for our needs. As always, you can't beat a W for beds, linens, and bath products.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our location is perfect for business travelers as we are across Moscone Center and near many businesses. The Living Room bar is very popular for locals and guests alike. The Cool Corner Suite has incredible views and offers quite a bit of space to unwind. I’m glad that the Talent made an impression on you and you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to San Francisco.

Best wishes,