“Wonderful Experience with 5 star class”
Review of W San Francisco

W San Francisco
Ranked #66 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Experience with 5 star class”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I choose to spend 5 days at the W because I knew what I would get: the utmost attentive service, excellent spa services at Bliss, plush rooms and beds and a wonderful sense of luxury wrapped into a boutique-like feel.
They did not disappoint!
In fact one of the days was my birthday and upon coming back to my room when the celebrations were complete, Priya, from the front desk, had left me a delicious slice of chocolate cake and a lovely note. This is what I call exceptional! Thank you W!

Room Tip: corner king on 7th floor
Green Features: This is a priority for The W and thus made me very mindful of making it my priority. reusing towels, less water etc...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank silverbells555
Hi,

We are so grateful to have been able to share your birthday with you. I am glad to hear that we delivered such an exceptional experience for you. Bliss never disappoints. They give the best massages and facials. Priya is so thoughtful as are all of our Welcome Desk associates. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to her and the rest of the team here. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Alexandra W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I spent a fortnight at the W whilst on a business trip, and found it ideally situated (close to Moscone, Market, Howard, etc). It is a very stylish hotel and I could not fault the comfort of my room. The bar was usually lively... actually often a little too lively, with live DJs and a busy crowd! However, while I was staying the staff got to know me personally and remembered my preferences, and that personal aspect to the service was very much appreciated and made me feel very welcome. The only downsides were that I felt the bar snacks selection was somewhat limited and - more unforgivably - the wifi access in-room was charged at a pretty eye-watering rate, when many hotels throw this in for free. I'd choose the W again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank andypiper
Hello Andy,

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your extended stay with us. It is not uncommon for there to be great local and national talent performing in our Living Room and Upstairs Bar. Many of our regulars are locals as well as guests enjoying the hand-crafted cocktails and overall atmosphere. It is our pleasure to make your stay as stress free and enjoyable as possible. Adding personal touches to our service creates a home away from home feel that we strive to create. We hope to see you back soon.

hong kong
Reviewed May 12, 2013

if i had to choose a hotel, W would never be on my list given the previous experiences which i've shared here ...
however, this W property has really surprised me with their service (thanks damian of trace for his attentiveness)...
on top of that:
1/ the suite we stayed is excellent in terms of space, natural lights (great views) & sleeping quality;
2/ the location is great .... just 5 mins walk from union square ...
3/ the most consistent element of all W properties, music, is great!

this W property has really surprised me

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hello,

I am pleased to hear that we surpassed your expectations during your stay. We are often praised for our exceptional customer service. I will be sure to share your kind words with Damian.

Our rooms located on higher floors offer exceptional views of the city and are the perfect space to unwind. The window seat is a great place to catch up on some work or just relax. Our location can’t be beat with easy access to the Bart and being within walking distance of many popular attractions. I hope to see you again soon.

Odense, Denmark
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Excellent service,great design, extra services like The bliss spa. Acura ride ... Cesar at The reception make our stay ... The best ever!..
Also very good location with plenty of shops, cafés and stores just around the corner. Whole foods at 4th street is our favourite.

• Stayed May 2013
Hi,

Thank you for the kind words. It is great to hear that you had an opportunity to try so many services the hotel offers. Our Bliss Spa is amazing. You can’t go wrong with any of the services or products. Our location is perfect whether you are staying for business or pleasure. It sounds like you had plenty of time to explore the area and become familiar. Our concierge service is phenomenal at helping guests do just that. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel in a great downtown location. Nicely designed although maybe looking a little tired now? Not fussed by that though. Nice bar and food, but not the best value. Seems SF is generally expensive though so the W isn't different in this respect. Glad work picked up the tab!

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. The décor in the hotel is inspired by the grid that makes up the San Francisco map and the fog that so often rolls through. I’m glad that you liked it. The Living Room bad and Upstairs Bar are both great places to unwind after a long day. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Best,
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Too irritated and disappointed to do more than summarize: difficult to enter from street with car to disembark, parking fees excessive (management says "competitive"), reception virtually non-existent/cramped, room that was confirmed online was unavailable on arrival, room design is failed form over failed function.

On the last point, closet is abysmally small though there is adjacent space to expand. The closet hanger bar is at mid-level, preventing one from hanging pants & long coats (typically worn in S.F.). The upper portion of the closet space is wasted. No full-size ironing board; no counter space to utilize the 1/3rd size board. Little counter space in bathroom for amenities and sink faucet obstructs full utility of the sink. Unusable decorative cabinets in the room while the few, shallow drawers provided are inadequate for storage. Hotels at 1/4 the rate have triple the storage space (closets, drawers, counters). Never found light switches for the under-cabinet desk lighting. Air-conditioning vent blows directly at the person's head on the left-side of bed. Decor is a cheap imitation of modern, very kitschy, reminiscent of low-budget reality room makeover show design quality. The mobile device charger caddy is upside down making label-reading inconvenient. For clean lines, vents should be same color as wall they are on.

After turning off the a/c, the bed was comfortable and the powered-drapery welcome (though a swich should be located by the bed).

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Curtisemayle
Alexa W, Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. Being in a very popular location in San Francisco, we sometimes see an influx of guests checking-in from all directions. We do our best to make this process as comfortable as possible by offering complimentary beverages and ample seating.

Our rooms are designed to match the lifestyle and function of the city it is in while also pulling elements that make W Hotels a memorable experience. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the design and function of the guest rooms. If you ever need any assistance throughout your stay, please call Whatever/Whenever. The Talent is always happy to help and create the best stay possible.

I hope to see you on your next trip.

Alexandra W - Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have to admit, I'm a fan of W hotels. Lounge, gym and look&feel of the rooms make me smile wherever I stay in a W around the world. The SF locations is no different and very vibrant. DJ's in the lounge, lots of cocktails lovers. Only back draw in this location is the noise from the neighbors. Mine really enjoyed each other and I could hear all the stages they went through at night.

Room Tip: get quite neighbors
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hi Louise,

Thank you for being loyal to W Hotels. We are a very vibrant hotel with a high energy look and feel throughout the hotel. We offer a tranquil space in the guest rooms to unwind from a day of business, fun or travel. Downstairs in the Living Room we often feature local DJ’s with many locals and guests alike partaking in the fun. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Best,