“Definitely Different”

Ranked #69 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
“Definitely Different”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I've stayed here twice in the past 12 months. The location is fantastic. The beds might be the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The rooms clean, but the decor is very modern. They are trying very hard to be cool and hip. The lobby is more like a night club than a hotel lobby. I like it. It's definitely not boring. The parking is stupid expensive $54 per night; welcome to San Francisco. I recommend a higher floor.... you don't want to be trying to sleep over the dance floor, aka lobby in the evening.

Room Tip: Go for a high room. Music in the club area is bump'in
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello,

Thank you for choosing to say with us and taking the time to write a review on your experience. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Living Room is a great place to grab a cocktail and relax with some friends. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best,
Alexandra W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
MA
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I recently reunited with a friend at the W for a ladies weekend. We wanted to have fun, see the sites, dine at the best spots, and drink well! We couldn't have done it without the staff! Seriously, the concierge I spoke with were absolutely brilliant! Amy handled our requests so well (e.g. booking a Napa and Sonoma excursion was a bit intimidating... we didn't want anything too touristy... or too dry!). Gordon gave us a *smashing* plan for spending the day trundling along from The Bay Bridge to Pier 39. The front desk staff were amazing, Vikram was so excited to tell us all about the hotel! The rooms were pristine and the attendants were super friendly in the hallways! The bar has a great scene, awesome cocktails, and handsome bartenders!

The location was so central and we walked most everywhere. Taxi's were cheap, the Cable cars are near enough, and when we needed public transport googlemaps couldn't have been more accurate.

I can't wait to return! SF is certainly NOT the Boston of the west coast-- and that's a great thing!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hi,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a great girl's weekend. You certainly came to right city to sight-see, eat and drink! I am so glad to hear that our concierge was so helpful and instrumental in the success of your trip. A day in Napa and a trip to the Bay Bridge are both must dos! Our cocktails in the Living Room and Upstairs Bar are hand crafted and many are made from only local ingredients. We can’t wait to welcome you back for your next visit.

See you soon,
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Your staffs and hotel are outstanding. I really enjoyed my stay. However, one of your front desk agent was rude. I wanted it to tell her upon checking out, but I just left. I don't know her name but it was an Asian girl with long hair working around 9am on Sunday 5/5. Also, she was there around 10-11am on Saturday 5/4. She didn't eye contact me and smile 'at all'. Her attitude was very rude overall. You need to train her how to deal with people. I felt so uncomfortable all the time and unfortunately it was my last impression of the hotel, so even though everything was perfect, I more likely remember this happening.

• Stayed May 2013
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed at this property during Christmas 2012(Sorry i know i am late for reviwing). The staff was nice enough to give us a free upgrade. We stayed for 2 nights and then had to check out for 1 night and then came back again for a night. We got free admission to the Christmas party at the bar. We did use the Sauna, which was very nice. During our second leg of the stay we got a differrent room but with a view of the Bridge which was pretty awesome.

My friend forgot her expensive watch in the shower and didnt realize it after couple of hours after we checked out, the staff was nice enough to hold it for us and it was all packed and sealed when we got back to collect it.

Will definitely revisit.

Room Tip: They have good City View and rooms with view of Bridge... You can request as per your choice. Front...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for staying with us during the holidays. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we could upgrade you. The view of the bridge is great from our hotel. It was our pleasure to hold on to your friends watch until she could retrieve it. I hope we see you again soon.

Best wishes,
Alexa W.
Mission Hills, KS
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The W San Francisco is an excellent hotel that offers a room with a view, great customer service, an ideal location, a friendly atmosphere, and good platinum SPG recognition. I highly recommend this hotel and will certainly pay a return visit. Here is why:

Great Customer Service - Hotel customer service is very good. The entire hotel team is well trained and hard working. Excellent check in, concierge service, doormen attention, restaurant wait staff (Trace), and maid services. My congratulations to the hotel management team.

Wonderful Hotel Rooms - Hotel Rooms are clean, updated, and spacious. We stayed two nights in a cool corner king room and two nights in an extreme wow suite. One room had a wonderful view of the Bay Bridge and the other had a great City view. The higher the floor, the better the view - 31 floors.

Central Location- I liked the hotel's location because it was centrally located. It was within walking distance to Union Square, Chinatown, and Bay Bridge Area. Public transportation (BART, Muni, & Street Cars) was accessible a few blocks away on Market Street for getting anywhere else.

Friendly Atmosphere - The hotel has a youthful and friendly vibe. I'm in my 50's and surprisingly fit right in. I loved drinking my coffee in the lobby each morning. At night the hotel would come alive with a hip DJ and interesting people.

Good Platinum Recognition - Even though I was unable to use Suite Nights for my stay, the hotel was able to provide me with two of my four night stay in an Extreme Wow Suite. Other platinum recognitions included free WiFi, complimentary bottled water, a $30 breakfast credit for two at Trace ($15 for one), a welcome bowl of fruit, and a complimentary birthday in-room dessert.

What makes this hotel a great choice when visiting SF and a step above the other Starwood properties in the area (St. Regis, Westin, & Palace) is the excellent customer service, great SPG recognition, and the friendly atmosphere. If you are a loyal SPG member like I am, you won't be disappointed.

Here are a few travel tips for your next trip to SF:
1. Take the BART From the Airport-If you want to save a few dollars on taxi fares ($50 plus) take the BART to the W from either the Oakland ($6.50) or SF ($8.25)Airports. Exit at Montgomery. It is an easy and safe (10) minute down hill walk to the hotel.
2. Off Sight Parking - If you have to park your car and don't want to pay the Hotel's $59 per night parking fee, you can safely self park a few blocks away at Hearst Parking Garage for $25 a day. Note there are NO in and out privileges and the garage is closed on Sunday mornings till 10am.
3. Great Restaurant Choices - Try these excellent restaurants when in SF. Hunan Home's for great Chinese, Albona Ristorante for Italian, and The Rotundra at Nieman Marcus for an elegant lunch.
4. Take a Day Trip to Napa - Napa is about a 75 minute drive. Rent a car for the day and enjoy the wine country.
5. Don't Be Afraid To Take Public Transportation - SF has an excellent and safe public transportation system that can get you most any where in the city. Read up on it before your trip. Enjoy living like the locals

Room Tip: Off Sight Parking - If you have to park your car and don't want to pay the Hotel's $59 per n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BOLDMissionHills_KS
Hi there,

Thank you for the compliments! We are flattered to be your San Francisco hotel of choice. I will be sure to share your amazing feedback with the entire team. Our talent takes great pride and creating a memorable experience for each of our guests and rewarding our SPG members. All of our rooms have incredible views, but I do agree that the higher up you go, the better the view of the city. I am happy to hear that you could experience two of our best rooms. We offer a great central location and easy access to public transportation. Your tips are fantastic. Next time you stay with us, visit our concierge and they will be able to help you curate a whole new list of things you haven’t experienced yet.

Until next time,
Los Gatos
Reviewed May 3, 2013

If you haven't experienced this property since their remodel, do it! It's not just refreshed, but fresh and new millennium cool. While it was on old favorite of ours, it was really needing some TLC, and so hadn't been staying there recently. But we did a last-minute booking, and showed up there late, and were so, so pleasantly surprised. The hotel is vibrant and you feel a renewed sense of energy and pride among the staff. When we got to the room, we discovered a lovely midnight plate of fruit and cheeses with a note from the manager's office (thank you, Claudia) welcoming us and hoping the snack would be welcomed after our long day of business and travel. That was marvelous. Welcome to the W San Francisco 2.0.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Buenos Aires
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Absolutelly gorgeous, stylish, clean, chic. Those heavenly beds and towels, you do not want to leave your room. Gorgeous pool and gym. Great customer service and a wonderful bar in the Lobby. Close to all atractions and convention center. Parking is expensive but you can park 1 block away across from the sony center for a fifth of what the hotel charges.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business