“Great service, good vibe, great location, helpful / friendly staff”
Review of W San Francisco

W San Francisco
Ranked #69 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stay at this hotel almost every week for business. Really great location, pretty good rooms. But the real selling point for me is the service. Damian at Trace always remembers my breakfast order and is generally awesome. Blair with in-room dining is a real pleasure to order room service from. They will deliver food from the Trace menu (not just the room service menu), with rotating options, and Blair is always great at describing the food and helping you make a selection based on your mood. Overall, I would definitely recommend staying here when in SF. The one big negative is that it has a really small / crowded gym.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Claudia N, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Hi Chris S,
We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your W experience. How wonderful that you found our rooms beautiful, the location convenient and the service worth praising. I will make sure to share your compliments with Damian and Blair and we hope you decide to return for another amazing experience! We are working on improving our workout facilities so our gym might look different the next time you're here. Thank you for choosing the W and we are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel is very cool and hip! Wonderful bar scene. We stayed here for a week. Just across the street from the Moscone Convention Center so very convenient for conferences. Very friendly staff all around. Room was clean and luxurious. Nice southern views of town from the 16th floor. Great gym.

1  Thank Preston P
Claudia N, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Hi Preston P,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent W experience with the online community. I am delighted to hear that we provided you with a great one week stay! It sounds that we have impressed you in all aspects - I see that you enjoyed our convenient location, the consistent friendliness of our staff, our modern rooms, the spectacular views and our workout facility. Thank you once again for your feedback and we are looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Although we were here during the remodel of the lobby, it did not affect our perception. All the W hotels are modern and have very thoughtful amenities. Great location to MOMA and the convention center. You can walk (if a few blocks don't bother you) to Union Square and many great restaurants. We travel to SF at least once a year and if we find a good deal, we always choose to stay here. It's often booked though and the rates are higher than most of the hotels of this caliber. Would not recommend for families...this is more of an adult hotel. Beware parking is $$$.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank willtravelwithkids

Hello Willtravelwithkids,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent W experience. It's great to hear that you are a W brand fan and that here at the W San Francisco we successfully met your expectations. Thank you kindly for your understanding as we were working on improving a few areas of our Living Room space. I am glad that you enjoy our location and that you stay with us as often as possible - we are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed recently at the W Hotel in SF. The location is super in particular for shopping on 3rd avenue. Its decorated in modern glitzy style, with friendly staff and not so in your face which I like but, excellent service when needed. Gordon in concierge provided great restauarant advise. The rooms are spacious, well equipped and cleaning was adequote. Breakfast is good but, must be independently run as you had to present $50 vouchers which i thought was odd. It is expensive I thought but, if you get a good rate id recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Stay high up I think this place has around 24 stories.
2  Thank Keevin66

Hello Keevin66,
We really appreciate your kind review! I am pleased to hear that you had a good stay with us and that you enjoyed our convenient location and our modern chic decor. Thank you so very much for your compliments on the excellent customer service we provide; I passed your comments on to Gordon and he was extremely thankful for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed our delicious Trace breakfast and I am sorry that you found the vouchers inconvenient - they are only provided when breakfast comes included in your rate package, as opposed to not being part of the package in which case it may be either served at Trace or in your room by ordering from your In-Room Service Dining menu. We hope you come back soon and thank you for choosing W!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed one night for business...Alex at the front desk checked me in and out and he was friendly and helpful. The lobby and the rooms had a 'modern look' with mood lighting and unique artwork. The room itself had the usual features as well as a set of device chargers which was nice.

I got a room on the lower floors which was surprising b/c for all of my business trips with SPG (they're a preferred provider to my employer), I usually get a high floor room or at least one of their better rooms (e.g. one of my co-workers got a 30th floor room). Normally, it wouldn't matter but because it's in the city, I heard a good bit of street noise overnight (I can't say if it would have been fully mitigated on the 30th floor but it might have been less noisy). Also, I would say that it's possible any d/t hotel would have this issue so I don't necessarily blame the hotel for this, just pointing it out.

[minor] I like reading the morning paper but nothing was there on my floor except for a few WSJ in front of a couple of rooms. I asked and was told I needed to come downstairs to get any of the papers (not sure why a couple of people had it and not everyone else).

Room Tip: High floor room to get less street noise.
1  Thank Deal_H0und

Hello Deal_H0und,
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you had a delightful Welcome experience at check in and that you enjoyed our modern urban look. I am however sad to know that you disliked the low floor location of your room because of the overnight street noise and I wish this situation had been avoided; I am not sure if you mentioned your high floor preference, but we normally grant any floor/view requests at check in based on availability. As for the newspaper delivery, we only deliver them to the guests that express their newspaper preference at check in or that already have it added on their SPG membership profile. Aside from that, as you've been informed, we offer complimentary newspapers at the Concierge desk which you can pick up yourself or call our Whatever/Whenever line to get them delivered to your room. Please feel free to email me directly and I'll be happy to add your newspaper preference in your guest profile for the future. Thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to your next visit!
claudia.nuta@whotels.com

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip from March 31 - April 3, The decor was fabulous, the service was wonderful and the room was really nice. I enjoyed staying and would do so again on a business trip. It is close to the BART (about 2 blocks) and is close to where I had to go for work. Thanks W. I will recommend you to all who travel to SF.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of towards the Bay Bridge.
1  Thank JMags66
Claudia N, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Hi JMags66,
Thank you so very much for your kind review! I am so delighted to hear that you had a good time with us and that we succeeded at meeting your expectations. It's great to know that you enjoyed our urban chic decor, our modern colorful rooms, the convenient location and the quality of our service. Thank you for recommending us to other travelers and we are certainly looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

- check in smooth but nobody to remove the luggage from the car
- not child friendly at all
- evenings lobby is lousy
- 5 counters for check out but it took 15-20 mins to check out
- this is my 3rd W experience, after Hong Kong and Bali but this was the worst
Highly not recommend to stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank jayant1999

Hi Jayant1999,
We appreciate your feedback and we take all criticism very seriously as it is very important to know what our guests think and what are the areas we need to work on improving. It saddens me to hear that we failed to meet your expectations as it is so uncommon for our front of the house team to receive such negative comments. Our property is probably not best known for its child friendly side - even though we have had a lot of families that took home amazing memories from the W SF. I hope you do give us another chance and please feel free to contact me directly whenever you plan your next stay with us!
claudia.nuta@whotels.com