“chic and great location”
Review of W San Francisco

W San Francisco
Ranked #66 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego
“chic and great location”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Although we were here during the remodel of the lobby, it did not affect our perception. All the W hotels are modern and have very thoughtful amenities. Great location to MOMA and the convention center. You can walk (if a few blocks don't bother you) to Union Square and many great restaurants. We travel to SF at least once a year and if we find a good deal, we always choose to stay here. It's often booked though and the rates are higher than most of the hotels of this caliber. Would not recommend for families...this is more of an adult hotel. Beware parking is $$$.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank willtravelwithkids
Claudia N, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Hello Willtravelwithkids,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent W experience. It's great to hear that you are a W brand fan and that here at the W San Francisco we successfully met your expectations. Thank you kindly for your understanding as we were working on improving a few areas of our Living Room space. I am glad that you enjoy our location and that you stay with us as often as possible - we are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back!
Claudia Nuta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed recently at the W Hotel in SF. The location is super in particular for shopping on 3rd avenue. Its decorated in modern glitzy style, with friendly staff and not so in your face which I like but, excellent service when needed. Gordon in concierge provided great restauarant advise. The rooms are spacious, well equipped and cleaning was adequote. Breakfast is good but, must be independently run as you had to present $50 vouchers which i thought was odd. It is expensive I thought but, if you get a good rate id recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Stay high up I think this place has around 24 stories.
2 Thank Keevin66
Hello Keevin66,
We really appreciate your kind review! I am pleased to hear that you had a good stay with us and that you enjoyed our convenient location and our modern chic decor. Thank you so very much for your compliments on the excellent customer service we provide; I passed your comments on to Gordon and he was extremely thankful for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed our delicious Trace breakfast and I am sorry that you found the vouchers inconvenient - they are only provided when breakfast comes included in your rate package, as opposed to not being part of the package in which case it may be either served at Trace or in your room by ordering from your In-Room Service Dining menu. We hope you come back soon and thank you for choosing W!
Warm Wishes,
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed one night for business...Alex at the front desk checked me in and out and he was friendly and helpful. The lobby and the rooms had a 'modern look' with mood lighting and unique artwork. The room itself had the usual features as well as a set of device chargers which was nice.

I got a room on the lower floors which was surprising b/c for all of my business trips with SPG (they're a preferred provider to my employer), I usually get a high floor room or at least one of their better rooms (e.g. one of my co-workers got a 30th floor room). Normally, it wouldn't matter but because it's in the city, I heard a good bit of street noise overnight (I can't say if it would have been fully mitigated on the 30th floor but it might have been less noisy). Also, I would say that it's possible any d/t hotel would have this issue so I don't necessarily blame the hotel for this, just pointing it out.

[minor] I like reading the morning paper but nothing was there on my floor except for a few WSJ in front of a couple of rooms. I asked and was told I needed to come downstairs to get any of the papers (not sure why a couple of people had it and not everyone else).

Room Tip: High floor room to get less street noise.
1 Thank Deal_H0und
Hello Deal_H0und,
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you had a delightful Welcome experience at check in and that you enjoyed our modern urban look. I am however sad to know that you disliked the low floor location of your room because of the overnight street noise and I wish this situation had been avoided; I am not sure if you mentioned your high floor preference, but we normally grant any floor/view requests at check in based on availability. As for the newspaper delivery, we only deliver them to the guests that express their newspaper preference at check in or that already have it added on their SPG membership profile. Aside from that, as you've been informed, we offer complimentary newspapers at the Concierge desk which you can pick up yourself or call our Whatever/Whenever line to get them delivered to your room. Please feel free to email me directly and I'll be happy to add your newspaper preference in your guest profile for the future. Thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to your next visit!
claudia.nuta@whotels.com
Millbury, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip from March 31 - April 3, The decor was fabulous, the service was wonderful and the room was really nice. I enjoyed staying and would do so again on a business trip. It is close to the BART (about 2 blocks) and is close to where I had to go for work. Thanks W. I will recommend you to all who travel to SF.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of towards the Bay Bridge.
1 Thank JMags66
Claudia N, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hi JMags66,
Thank you so very much for your kind review! I am so delighted to hear that you had a good time with us and that we succeeded at meeting your expectations. It's great to know that you enjoyed our urban chic decor, our modern colorful rooms, the convenient location and the quality of our service. Thank you for recommending us to other travelers and we are certainly looking forward to your next visit!
Warm Wishes,
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

- check in smooth but nobody to remove the luggage from the car
- not child friendly at all
- evenings lobby is lousy
- 5 counters for check out but it took 15-20 mins to check out
- this is my 3rd W experience, after Hong Kong and Bali but this was the worst
Highly not recommend to stay here.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank jayant1999
Hi Jayant1999,
We appreciate your feedback and we take all criticism very seriously as it is very important to know what our guests think and what are the areas we need to work on improving. It saddens me to hear that we failed to meet your expectations as it is so uncommon for our front of the house team to receive such negative comments. Our property is probably not best known for its child friendly side - even though we have had a lot of families that took home amazing memories from the W SF. I hope you do give us another chance and please feel free to contact me directly whenever you plan your next stay with us!
claudia.nuta@whotels.com
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I admit I am having a difficult time articulating my opinion of the W San Francisco. In some ways, it was exactly what I expected: a hip, trendy hotel in a big, exciting city. But in other ways it wasn’t what I expected: that the room size felt tight. Beyond the quirky, but appealing design, it was easy to see that was an ordinary room on which I spent too much money.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the playfulness of the hotel. Heck, the first thing you see when you walk in the corner revolving door is the swanky bar. The normally front desk is located towards the rear, a design I assume to get hotel guests to order a cocktail on the way to check-in.

The location is great. You can walk to BART, museums, the convention center, shopping, strip clubs, the ballpark, and lots bars and restaurants.

As to getting a good night’s sleep, the primary function of staying in a hotel, the W succeeds greatly. The beds are comfortable, the HVAC is silent and there is no noise typical of an urban environment.

You should stay at the W San Francisco Hotel at least once. It is a lot of fun. Get slizzard in the lobby bar while listening to the DJ. One you’ve had enough, ride the elevator as you admire the lenticular mural, stumble into your room and behold the glowing Buddha. Then collapse on the bed with your clothes on and sleep off the booze.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DonJulioAnejo
Hello DonJulioAnejo,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent W experience. It sounds like you had a fun and relaxing stay with us! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our chic urban designs, the artworks, our comfortable beds and our convenient location (close to MoMA, the Ferry Building, Union Square, bars, restaurants and shopping). I know it can be a little confusing sometimes especially when being dropped off by a taxi on 3rd St, but I'd like to mention that we do have two entrances, one on 3rd St intended mostly for non-guests and locals that visit our bars and restaurant and a second one on Howard St - it's considered the main entrance and that is where our reception area is located. Thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to your return!
Norten-Hardenberg, Germany
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been there from 1st until 4th of April 2013 due to an IBC conference. My room was on Level 9 and it was spacy, which means entrance area, bath room, combined bed room with a seat area in the Windows corner were nicely sized. But... No free wLan, no coffee machine (One could Order One for free at the lobby, Morning coffee at the Lobby was free) and this for round about 290 $US.
The Location itself was well positioned and One can easily Walk to China town, Little italy(where we have taken Irish coffee from the jar, yes from the jar !,,i have Never made such an experience. From there we took a Streich limousine for 7 $US each, Not that expensive.
The hotel has a Good Kirchen and the breakfast was excellence, but again Not Chess which means 30$US inclusive tip (coffee, freshly squeezed Orange Juice \ delicious and egg Benedict on two Toasts inclusive potatoes).
The Gym was nice as well and the SPA too.
So ist Dependance on you and on your Budget to decide.
Have a Good Time

Hi Noerten40,
We really appreciate your feedback! I'm pleased to know that overall you had a good time with us and I'm sorry for the little things that you didn't find as expected. There is a fee for in-room internet access, but in the Living Room area and on the Second Level, you can access the internet at no cost. We also provide complimentary coffee makers upon request and we are actually in the process of getting all of our rooms equipped with the latest models of coffee makers on the market. As you mentioned too, the hotel is conveniently located and I'm glad that you enjoyed our rooms, our delicious breakfast as well as our gym facility and our famous Bliss Spa. Thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back!