“Perhaps just a little too hip”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of W San Francisco

W San Francisco
Ranked #69 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Perhaps just a little too hip”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I've stayed at other W Hotels and get what they're all about. However, the W San Francisco just felt a little different than the others (and not necessarily in a good way). The room was fine - we were upgraded to a "Spectacular" room and it had a great view from the 21st floor towards the Bay Bridge. However, if you're looking to hang out in e lobby area you can forget about it. Almost the entire public space is taken up with a bar which gets very busy at night. It's also very loud. Obviously if you're looking to party then this is a great spot. If you want something a little more relaxed then you may wish to look elsewhere.

If you'd prefer to save on breakfast you can always grab a quick bite at the Starbucks located on 3rd just east of the hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better - you'll get a view into the city.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Claudia N, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Hi John B,
Thank you so much for reviewing our property. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your upgraded room and the spectacular views of the Bay Bridge; however it saddens me to know that you were not able to fully enjoy our public space areas. March is normally a very busy month with a lot of conferences happening just a block away at the Moscone Center and I totally understand why you found the Living Room area to be a little crowded. I do hope that you decide to stay with us again and please don't hesitate to contact me directly, as I will be more than happy to contribute in making your next stay a memorable experience!
claudia.nuta@whotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Recently went to the bar at the W with some friends, had a blast! The manager Alyson totally made the night. She got us a great table, never had a drink remain empty, brought us all sorts of new menu items to try out, and generally was way cool the entire time. When things were slow she even took the time to talk chat with us and make us feel more at home. Will definitely come back again at earliest convenience. Also the bar is super cool looking, the rest of the staff is just as cool, and the drinks are tasty. I was there on a weekday, so I'm curious to come back on a weekend to see how much packed the place gets. Good times!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Claudia N, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Hi Tristan J,
Thank you for your amazing review and I couldn't agree more: Alyson does rock! So is the rest of our team here at the W because we all believe in flawless service and granting all of our guests' wishes! It's our main promise to our guests to provide Whatever they need, Whenever they need it and we always go above and beyond in achieving that! We appreciate your compliments and we hope to welcome you soon at the W for an amazing stay!
All the best,
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was not a guest at the hotel, but I did come in for dinner. The ambiance was really nice, it did not remind me of a hotel restaurant. It was classy, yet not intimidating. Our service was really great, I believe our servers name was Mark. Even the wonderful manager, Allison, came by and asked us about our experience and thanked us for coming in. Very attentive service, and made us feel very welcome.

The food was spectacular, and the presentations were superb. The dishes were a good size too for sharing, very good value. Some of our favorites were the yellowtail and the pork shoulder and crispy gnocchi. We also had the duck, wow.

Overall great restaurant and I would definitely suggest it for locals or visitors.

• Stayed March 2013
Hi Adelaidelucy,
What a wonderful review on Trace - our fresh, locally-sourced sustainable restaurant! It's always great to receive feedback from our guests as well as non-guests that happen to visit our restaurant and spa, as both outlets represent such amazing reflections of the level of service we offer here at the W and the commitment to our mission of providing Whatever the guests need, Whenever they need it. Many thanks for your compliments and we hope to welcome you soon for an unforgettable stay at the W!
Warm Wishes,
USA
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights in March. Location next to the Moscone can't be beat if you are here for a meeting. If you enter the hotel from that side, you go through the bar area to get to the elevator. Maybe it's because there was a conference going on, but it felt like everyone checks you out when you walk through! Service at check in was flawless and friendly. Never saw cleaning crew in our room but it was always made up nicely during the day. Room was a little on the small side but had a nice window seat to enjoy the view. The work out room was well-equipped and there is a small indoor lap pool and hot tub. Overall, it was a nice stay but felt generic and a bit impersonal. When I've stayed at other hotels in this price range before, I've felt more of a welcoming vibe from the doormen and desk folks in terms of them greeting me by name etc that just didn't happen here. Location is good really only if you are needing to go back and forth from the Moscone a lot although close enough to restaurants etc.

• Stayed March 2013
Hi A-traveling-I-go,
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so glad to hear that overall you had a good time with us, but I am so sorry that you didn't feel the welcoming vibe from our staff during your stay as we so often receive compliments on our high level of service and the friendliness of our staff. On the other hand, it's great to know that you enjoyed all of our facilities, our stylists' efficiency and our convenient location. Thank you for staying with us and please don't hesitate to contact me directly whenever you plan your next visit.
claudia.nuta@whotels.com
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I spent my 1000th Starwood night at this property and all I can say is how wonderful, friendly and helpful the staff has been at all times.
A special mention to Cora Mo, who made sure everyone was aware about that special stay I had.
I will definetely keep going to that property.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Caroline F, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay! We were thrilled to be the host for your 1000th Starwood Night, and so glad you enjoyed your time at W San Francisco. Special thanks for giving a shout out to Cora as well, our team was happy to have your great feedback! Hope to welcome you back soon to keep that number growing!

All the best,
Caroline F - W San Francisco
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I've stayed at and visited several hotels in the downtown San Francisco area and this by far is my favorite. The hotel itself is very modern, the rooms however are a nice balance between modern and traditional. If you're lucky enough to get a corner room, you'll love the views of downtown.

One of my big pet peeves with large hotels is that their network connection normally crawls once they fill up. That wasn't the case with the W. Even with the hotel sold out, my connection remained constant and enough to stream SD video on.

The in-room TV's do not have HDMI available, so bring along your composite or analog cables if you're planning to use the TV for anything other than in-room cable. A DVD player was available in my room.

Room Tip: Join SPG and call ahead to request a King if you don't need multiple beds. Handicap Accessible...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hi Trixdesigns,
We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on your W experience with the online community. Thank you for your compliments and for considering us way above other downtown hotels. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our ambiance and our hotel amenities! Thank you for becoming an SPG member and we are looking forward to welcoming you back!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed recently on the night of my wedding. We arrived in our full wedding attire & we're automatically upgraded to a Spectacular room on the 30th floor (out of 31) with AMAZING views of San Francisco. Valet is quick & although room service is pricey, you get what you pay for. My only tiny complaint is the smell in the elevators. Bartenders in the bar are super friendly & same for the front desk staff. Location is right next to the convention center & close to everything. This is the only place I stay when I visit SF & I will continue to stay here always!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Sarahleek24,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. We feel so honored that you chose us to be part of your special day! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed every bit of your experience with us and that everything was up to your expectations, from our amazing views and convenient location to the helpfulness and friendliness of our staff.
We really appreciate your loyalty and we are looking forward to welcoming you back for yet another memorable experience!
Warm Wishes,