“Great room, good room service, good location”
Review of W San Francisco

W San Francisco
Ranked #66 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Cambridge, MA
“Great room, good room service, good location”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Booked a Sun nite at this hotel at a great AAA "hot deals" rate of < $200. Stayed in a Fabulous Room on the 22nd floor, which turned out to be a corner room with a corner nook-style sitting area. Had a good night's stay and I plan to stay here again on future visits to the area.

Room
---
Loved the room -- like most Ws, modest in size (but not cramped) yet stylish, with an excellent bed, and a sitting area under the corner windows that was flooded with light. The corner windows had Charleston-style shutters, as did the large window in the hallway from the front door into the BR. The room was bathed in natural light -- I'll def. try to get a corner room again in the future.

Had a great night's sleep in the king bed.

The BA was in good shape, though the water pressure in the shower was fairly weak. (I really enjoy a high pressure shower so perhaps my standards don't apply to others.) Usual Bliss toiletries and an abundance of towels.

---
I didn't require much on the way of service from the hotel. I ordered room service for dinner, which arrived in a timely manner and was delicious. I used the Acura car service for a lift to the Ferry Building. That's about it. Check in and check out were smooth and were devoid of the bad attitude that sometimes infects the staff at the Ws in NY.

Hotel facilities
---
I didn't use any facilities but will comment on what I saw. The Living Room area is right by the hotel elevators and has lots of seating for conversation. There is a large bar beside the Living Room and beyond that is the hotel restaurant Trace. There is also a mezzanine area above the Living Room; I didn't venture up there.

Location
---
A great SoMa location, beside the SFMOMA, the Moscone Center, very short walks to Market St, Union Sq, AT&T park, the Embarcadero. An easy 10 min walk from the Montgomery BART stop on Market St. Several other hotels are nearby -- the St Regis is practically next door on 3rd and the Four Seasons, Marriott Marquis and Palace Hotel are within 5 min walks.

Misc
---
This hotel is primarily geared to business travelers or the typical W client (singles and childless couples). I think it would work fine w/older children, w/kids 9-10 and above.

Room Tip: High floor corner rooms have good views over SoMa and receive lots of natural light
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Claudia N, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Hi Cantab Cambridge_MA,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed, nicely organized review. I'm sure a lot of travelers will find it useful. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed our convenient location, our stylish room decor and all of our amenities. I'm glad to hear that you'll be back and we are looking forward to your next visit!
Warm Wishes,
Claudia Nuta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Last week I stayed at the W for one night. I checked in and they took my debit card, per the usual, for any incidentals that may have been charged to the room. During check-in however, they forgot (or overlooked) to mention a tiny little caveat-- that $200 would be taken out of my bank account automatically and would not be reimbursed for 5-7 business days....seemingly called a "Pending Authorization". That's funny-- because I never authorized it! I've stayed at plenty of hotels and have never had this happen. I think it's a very shady way to do business and incredibly deceptive. I pay my fair share for the room-- $260 + tax AND they take $200 on top of that. Just want to also mention that there were no room charges. Very sketchy IMHO. Needless to say I'm still waiting to be reimbursed!

With regard to the hotel, it was fine I guess. Our room was located on the upper floors facing south-east, so there were great views of the Bay Bridge and the bay. But the room itself was really small. I can't imagine that it was more than 200 sf, even though advertised between 300-400 sf. The design is very trendy/hipster-- it's not for everyone. I did appreciate that the hotel is LEED certified and very eco-conscious. Bar scene downstairs on a Friday night was hopping. I didn't have enough time to check out the spa, restaurant or workout room. The location itself is right downtown business district and next to the SFMOMA, so it's a great location if that's where you want to be.

All in all, a decent enough stay-- I'm just pissed about having my debit card charged $200 without me even knowing about it.

Room Tip: I prefer views of the Bay rather than views of the city.
3 Thank Lydia F
Hi Lydia F,
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at the W. I sincerely apologize for the big inconvenience caused by your debit card funds being blocked due to our authorization request. It is specifically required for that aspect to be communicated to our guests upon check in especially when using a debit card for incidentals as it does work differently than a credit card to the extent that the system takes an actual hold of the funds. I am so sorry for the miscommunication, I have already informed our Welcome Office managers of this incident and they will make sure all agents are communicating the right information to our guests. On a positive note, I am very glad that you have enjoyed our amazing views of the Bay Bridge and thank you for the appreciation shown towards our LEED certification. I hope you do give us another shot in the future and please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you plan to come back as I would like to personally make sure that your next stay with us is memorable!
Thank you for choosing W!
Warmest Wishes,
claudia.nuta@whotels.com
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My favorite thing about staying at W Hotels is the customer service. These people really take care of you, everything from handing us water bottles when we picked up our car in Valet to recommendations for dining & directions, the W Concierge service is like no other I've ever seen. I also love the large seating areas on the first and second floors of this hotel. There's plenty of comfortable places to sit and plan your day, and there's always coffee, water, cocoa, or tea available for guests. The rooms are spacious, clean, and modern without being stuffy. I'm a big fan of the W San Francisco!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views of the bay bridge
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hi Melody B,
What an amazing review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are so proud and thankful for your compliments on our level of customer service as it is so important for us to treat our guests to the best of our abilities. I am so glad to know that you enjoyed our rooms, the decor and all of our amenities. Thank you for choosing W and we are looking forward to welcoming you back!
Kind Regards,
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

We are a family with two kids, and always stay at other big hotels when in San Francisco, but this time we tried W since it's across from Yorba Buena Garden (lots of kids stuff), next to SFMOMA, and has a swimming pool. I think for a major city hotel in US, having a pool is not only luxury, but also a rarity but it helps tremendously when traveling with kids.
Location was not too bad, but their main entrance has almost nonexistence, our limo driver had hard time pulling the car in and getting help for our luggages upon arrival.
Room was good. Thoughtfully designed and decorated, and had a nice little nook for naps, reading... with amazing view of the city.
Dining was okay. Only had breakfast each mornings, menu is limited, and food was okay. Nothing to rave about though. Service at the restaurant was very good.
On our last night, we had some serious noise problem coming from our neighboring room. We waited for about 20 minutes, then had to call front desk, and the issue was resolved, but it was horrible and extremely uncomfortable experience. No one wants to stay at a hotel where inconsiderate, rude, and loud guest stays. I will less likely to recommand this hotel to close friends and family, we definitely will not return.

• Stayed December 2012
Caroline F, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Hello, and thank you for writing a review on your recent stay! I am glad you took advantage of our pool facilities! We love having a unique feature like an indoor pool right in the heart of San Francisco. Also happy to see that you enjoyed our guestrooms and the view!

I am sorry to read about your experience with noise from the neighboring rooms, our downtown urban location can make for a very busy hotel, but glad that our team resolved the issue for you. If you do come back to San Francisco, we hope you will reconsider choosing to stay with us, and will do everything we can to ensure your stay is enjoyable and relaxing.

Thanks again,
Caroline F, W San Francisco
Glendale California
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed at the W for one night and had a wonderful view from a corner room. We liked the up tempo design. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The food and drinks at the bar exceeded our expectations. All and all we had a good time.

Room Tip: conner rooms have the best views
Hi George91206,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your W experience and that you found everything up to your expectations or exceeding your expectations in some cases. Here at the W, we really do have amazing views, modern rooms, delicious food, unique drinks and of course the friendliest most accommodating staff. We always impress our guests by going above and beyond to grant their wishes! Thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back!
Kind Regards,
Merced, California
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I recently spent our 41st wedding anniversary at the W in San Francisco (have stayed at this hotel before). We love San Francisco and the staff at the W make it even more pleasurable. Both times we stayed in the corner room with a beautiful view. The special attention given to us from the W staff because of our special day made it very memorable. Even when it is not a special day, the staff is always outstanding. We are planning to go back this summer.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W San Francisco, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Happy Anniversary! Thank you for spending it with us in San Francisco! We love sharing special moments, and it sounds like it went great!

Can’t wait to welcome you back again this summer, we appreciate the continued visits!

Have a fantastic day,
Brad W
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Having been to SF many times, I have stayed at this property on several occasions and it never disappoints. This time around, I took my family to SF during Superbowl weekend and stayed at the W for a couple of days. The service and cleanliness was excellent and the location is perfect ( close enough to Union Sq but not smack dab in the middle of it ).

We will be back :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hi Gman M,
It's always so wonderful to hear from our returning guests with such amazing comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am so glad you had a good time with us during the SuperBowl and that you have enjoyed everything - from our convenient location to our top-notch service and flawless rooms. Thank you for your loyalty and we are certainly looking forward to welcoming you and your family back to the W SF!
Warm Regards,