“Modern and Pricey”

GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, CA
“Modern and Pricey”
Reviewed September 26, 2007

I was hesitant to book this hotel as I prefer older properties with a sense of history. But my husband had just recently stayed at the W in San Diego on business and suggested we should try the W in San Fran for our Labor Day weekend getaway. At first I tried booking at all the famous hotels, but there was simply no availablity or they were just really overpriced. The W was fine - I just wish I was 10lbs lighter and 10 years younger! Talk about all the beautiful people! It definitely is a hopping scene after 10pm in the bar area. Although the restaurant was very expensive - we had to eat there the first nite as it was too late to go anywhere else. The staff was great, they accomodated our 2 yr old daughter and even created a dish off the menu for her. She loved it and our daughter is quite the picky eater! By far my favorite thing about the W was the bedding - yes the bedding. I've never had such a comfy mattress and sumptuous linens before. Also the hotel was able to accomodate us w/ 2 rooms together as we were with my sister and nephew. The concierge was great, though overwhelmed at times obviously with so many people wanting restaurant reservations or other service. One little detail I should mention just in case u also are not told, when i called the front desk and asked about free internet use I was told there was none, but if we had a laptop we could pay with a credit card in our room. But when I again checked with the lobby I was told one can use a laptop for free as they are hooked up in the lobby. Overall it was a great modern hotel if u are not one for history and afternoon tea hour. One more thing the hotel is on the same block as the Museum of Modern Art - so can't beat the location.

• Liked — Bedding, location, trendy bar scene
  • Disliked — Sterile modern scene
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Keles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 18, 2007

The W's have sucked in my opinion for the last 3 years or so. This one far outshines them all. The vibe is cool, the rooms are full-on W, the service flawless.

MASSIVE bathrooms, ultra hip door guys and super mod girls make you feel like you've arrived. The lounge are is open, free-wheeling and very very cool.

The W's have been off my radar for some time now but this one make up for all the past errors the W's have amassd with me.

Good job, W SF.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank nosescott
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed September 6, 2007

Great size room, we had a twin room. 2 Queen size beds. Nice bathroom, lots of space. Great views. Next door to the MOMA. Nothing bad to report here except the bar staff at closing time. Rude, ignorant people. Will not even give you a glass of tap water at closing time. Of course they expect you to go to your room and take the bottle of water from the cupboard ful of goodies and pay 11 dollars for it!!!! Oh and one scary thing... they KNOW when uve had it, without even going into your room!! bit like big brother or something!

• Stayed August 2007
1 Thank fuelfiredesire
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed September 6, 2007

Amanzily designed.... extremely confortable.... the location is near MOMA @ soma (south of market street)... a little bit far from the fuzzy restaurante & stores... buts its okay! The yerba buena garden is just crossing the street... very relaxing!!!

• Liked — the room design & confort
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ana_Lopasso
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 25, 2007

I stayed at the W SF for 6 nights. Booked via SPG "6 nights for 4" deal - which brings the price to an acceptable amount. I stayed in a renovated room - definitely better than the old ones. Much lighter, plenty of desk space, many sockets to plug in and recharge mobile phone, laptop etc. within easy reach. And I loved the wooden foot rest/massage under the desk!
No problem whatsoever with housekeeping - in fact, our housekeeper (Dolores) was extremely kind, friendly and professional, servicing the room quickly.
The W bar and the XYZ bars are great to entertain guests and friends, and I found all the staff, both at the bars and at the hotel very friendly and helpful. The concierge staff is also very friendly and helpful.
The swimming pool is a great way to cool down after working out in the gym (which could have more lifting machines and less treadmills in my opinion).
And the terrace on the 4th floor is probably the best kept secret of the W. I spent quite some wonderful evenings there...
So, with a good deal on the room price the W is a great place to stay!

• Liked — The nice feeling of coming back and finding a lively crowd in the bar/lobby
  • Disliked — It can be overpriced
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bingo_the_dog
San Mateo
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I have stayed at the W many times in S.F. and this is the last. They remodeled the rooms and they aer awful..Lime green accents...come on we are not in SOBE very distasteful, furniture very uncomfortable. They put these white leather adjustable chairs in the rooms that don't adjust I cannot believe they got rid of the big comfortable sturdy chairs with arms for these. The desk is way too narrow I had to checkout and move to the Four Seasons up the block to get any work done..W S.F. you blew it with this designer u have chosen to do these rooms. You need to revamp it again...

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank esseff65
California
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I reserved with the W weeks in advance and was looking forward to a three nights stay in this reportedly upscale location. When we knew we would arrive late we called the hotel in advance, even though the room was guaranteed with a credit card, to be sure they did not give away our room. Upon arrival we discovered they were booked for the night (this was midnight after a very long drive) and that they were going to put us up at a hotel within walking distance. Have you ever been completely exhausted and had to walk down the street with the bellman who had your luggage on a cart?

On the upside we stayed at an excellent location, the St. Regis...which I would highly recommend. They comped our room and parking..so the W tried to make amends. Late checkout at St. Regis before hiking back down the block was necessary due to meeting obligations...and was graciously arranged at the St. Regis.

Upon re-arrival our room was not yet ready...so we left our bags with the bellman who took them up for us.

The room at the W paled in comparison to the St. Regis, although the comparison was the issue. It was actually fairly well appointed with modern furnishings, comfortable beds, and a nicely updated bath (glass countertop, stainless sink, etc.). Our view was rather exceptional.

There was no phone book in the room, no map of the hotel, no emergency evacuation map in the room...and the phone seemed standard and had no buttons marked for dialing up different services. The typical hotel traveler will find these items oddly absent. The phone issue was especially frustrating as their "W" book took a while to flip through to figure out who to call for what...just dial '0' and forget it!

The location was superb, and here is where the W stands out. We were across the street from the convention center and next door to the museum of modern art. Shopping and cable car lines were a short walk from the hotel. We easily got down to Fisherman's wharf and then back up from Ghiradelli Square late in the evening on these lines.

This was not a family location however. I travelled with my teenage son for a business meeting and was more than uncomfortable with the lobby area which was basically a bar and lounge. We found it necessary to enter the door closest to checkin desk and valet entrance to avoid having to pass through this very singles oriented atmosphere.

A room decoration fell off the headboard and fortunately hit the unoccupied pillow during dinner...a real topper to some annoyances.

Room service was fair, the coffee was good but I found it overpriced for the quality of food.

We were given a complimentary cracker, fruit, and cheese plate as a gesture our first night's stay and received a written and in-person apology and offer of assistance.

In sum, if you are comfortable with these arrangements I'd recommend it...as staying at the St. Regis was a pretty good exchange for the booking problems...but I would not recommend it for families.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business