“Great Location, Nice Staff, but...”

Executive Hotel Vintage Court
Ranked #106 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I was there for a conference and this hotel is in a good location in reference to Moscone Center, Union Square, etc. The staff was friendly, helpful and it was nice that they offered a free wine hour every day from 5-6 PM. The lobby is neat and modern. However, that is where my 3 star rating came in and if I was rating them on my room only, it would be a 1 star. My room was on the 4th floor and it had an odor that was almost unbearable. I don't even know how to describe it. The hotel is older and the room seemed to be cleaned well. The bedding was modern and the bathroom had vintage charm with original tile that i thought was quaint. But, I am not sure where this smell was coming from. I bought some candles while I was out there and that masked it, but now that I am home, my suitcase may be even ruined if I can't air it out. It almost smells like a mix of formaldehyde and some odd cleaning agent like they were covering up something. I stay in about 15 hotels a year and I have never experienced anything like this. The room was quiet, I would only hear the sound of my window unit heater/air conditioner running. The view was another building across the alley.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank letsgonow123
There are newer reviews for Executive Hotel Vintage Court

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here on holiday in November 2013. We will for sure not return. The only positive is the location, Nobb Hill, close to Union Square. The negatives:

- The hotel is dirty! We even tried a couple of different rooms, but same story for all: they all have this very bad smell and are just dirty. There is no vintage feel at all, just old and dirty

- the gym has one bike, one threadmill and one elliptic machine. All in a tiny gym that just fits these machines

- Staff are friendly but not helpful or capable at all

There is for sure nothing executive about this hotel and I wouldnt recommend people to stay here

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Honest1978
gmvcsf, General Manager at Executive Hotel Vintage Court, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Dear Recent Guest:

First and foremost an apology to you, as your stay was not pleasant. If your experience of a dirty room was noted to me or our staff, we would have immediately serviced or changed your room for correctness. As you noted you tried a different room but still state the same concern but with no specifics. Our hotel is older in building as we are 100 years, this year, but the furnishings are modern contemporary with clean triple sheet white fluffy beds, LCD TV, Writing desks and a simple, older model bath that his white and clean. In regards to odors, again specifics would help as the hotel hosted 100% occupancy most nights in November, so this could be from prior guests, showers, or long term odors that can be treated. Our hotel team is here to work with you and if you require or would like to update me directly with specifics please do so at gmvc@executivehotels.net. From other reviews our hotel is a delight and yours should have been similar.

Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for a conference and room was clean, staff informed and was given great directions as well as a price that was much less than other hotels nearby! I even got a gift card thank you for staying with us upon check out! Very Cool! I will be returning on the next show!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The hotel was in a nice location, just about 2-3 blocks from Union Square. It is also about 30 feet away from a cable car stop. The rooms are clean and cozy. The bathroom was clean, but very small and old. The hotel has a room downstairs in the lobby in which they serve breakfast only. We were very disappointed in the breakfast. They had a very limited menu. There was no bar area for drinks and or appetizers. But the lobby area is really modern, cozy and comfortable. The guests are very nice and they offer a reasonably priced and efficient valet service. We enjoyed our stay and would return.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
gmvcsf, General Manager at Executive Hotel Vintage Court, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Recent Guest:

Thank you for the review with kudos to our location and clean, cozy rooms. As you noted, our breakfast is a currently a limited service “continental” style as the hotels restaurant space in the near future will have offer a full service American style breakfast in the near future along with a bar, food and drinks with a dinner service. Our hotel appears to be at the value price that fit your budget, and I hope to see you stay with us again in the near future.

For future bookings, our best rates are available directly on our website under our “Hot” rate hotel package deals or by calling us directly anytime.

Best regards and happy travels,

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Wow…I don't know where to start. Let's start with the name…Hotel Vintage Court. The word "vintage" it key! The hotel lobby is very nice. The staff was kind and very helpful. The free wine hour is a nice touch. Cozy fireplace in the lobby is really cute…and then you go to your room. Wow….vintage..My room smelled like old moth balls Window box air conditioning unit. My room overlooked a dingy court yard that faced some other apartments. I could hear residents talking, washing dishes, etc. at all times of the night. Then there was the 6am trash pick up. I dropped my phone in between the bed and the nightstand and you should have seen the dust growing back there. Disgusting. The bathroom was okay. I felt like I needed shower shoes though. In the shower the water wouldn't drain. It would just puddle around my feet while taking my shower. There is a small window in the bathroom and there was a dirty nasty window covering over it. One word to describe the rooms…Grungy. If they sunk a lot of money into them, they could be nice. On the nightstand there is a lamp but you can't easily turn the light on and off from the bed which is a pain. On the good side, the hotel is in a good location. Right next to the cable car. 2 blocks from Chinatown. A few blocks from Union Square/Bart. I even walked to Fisherman's Wharf and the Ferry Building from here. I only stayed here because the rates were about $200-300 cheaper than other o

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 777zba
gmvcsf, General Manager at Executive Hotel Vintage Court, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear Recent Guest:

Thanks for the feedback and first our apologies for any unacceptable room condition you experienced. It appears our hotel and team missed the mark in regards to your accommodation. As you noted your room should be clean, free of dust and bathtub with limited drain issues. I have reviewed the room and found the drain was in need of a clean out and was done promptly. The dust was mild behind the night stand but still unacceptable. To back up your remarks however, a renovation is in the process for updates to the bathrooms in the near future.

On a positive note, your comments are appreciated and that our hotel location, staff, lobby and wine reception was well received and enjoyed.

Our hotel is a mid-priced hotel approaching the $200 range, yet if your experience or others would like to return, please contact me directly at gmvc@executivehotels.net or visit our website for best rates and packages.

Additionally, I am open for added comments if you so wish by phone at 415-544-6201 too. Again our apologies and if there is anything our hotel can do to make up some of our shortfalls please do not hesitate to ask.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Executive Hotel Vintage Court SF is a seven story urban hotel surrounded buildings of similar height. 4 blocks to Union Square, 2 blocks to the Chinatown gate and one block to the Powell Street cable cars. Google Map it to see for yourself its street appearance and how well it is located.

My wife and I stay there because the rooms are comfortable, clean and affordable for downtown SF and for the evening wine tasting (meet an international mix of SF visitors (blokes, Aussies, Kiwis, Tasies, South Africans, Germans, and Swedes to name a few).

The staff is great - house keeping, servers and front desk. I must mention Milla and Jake at the front desk - they know the city, the near by restaurants, offer suggestions and efficiently respond to the guests requests (reservation, transportation etc.).

Google Maps to see exterior and surrounding buildings and transportation routes

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Fred B.,

Thank you so much for your fabulous review! The Executive Hotel Vintage Court staff is always here to make your visit to San Francisco a joy and your accommodations should be enjoyable! We are not always "perfect" but we strive to be and from your review we succeeded to make your time with us memorable! Great to know you found also our hotel guests and staff provided the perfect t mix of "meet and greet" during our management wine reception too. Thanks again!

Best regards,

Bill Engelhardt

Reviewed November 6, 2013

A reasonably priced hotel, clean small and very well located to convenience shops and small restaurants but....... Very noisy at night with garbage trucks etc. carpets could do with regular disinfect and sanitising - very musty. Otherwise.....good staff and value.

• Stayed: November 2013