“If you like diseases, the ghetto and being mugged...you'll love this place.”
Review of Verona

Verona
Verona
Ranked #217 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
san jose
“If you like diseases, the ghetto and being mugged...you'll love this place.”
Reviewed October 16, 2007

The room was very tiny, and very out of date. The TV only got about 4 channels and the windows were covering in bird poop. The view from the window was creepy...an alley with a fire ecsape and some wigs and clothes hanging off some wiring. Not to mention it was located in the scariest part of the city. It was so nasty, I didn't even want to shower in the bathroom or sleep in the bed. I slept on top of the blankets and didnt sit on the toliet seat in fear contracting something. AND they make you sign a contract when you check in saying that if anything is stolen, they can't be held responsible. I don't ever remember signing anything like that in the past when I've stayed at a hotel. Something positive? I attended a kick [--] Gwar concert. Something positive about the HOTEL?....I couldn't tell you. I wouldn't suggest anyone to stay there...

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nichollex3

Sydney
Reviewed August 23, 2007

I stayed alone at Verona for 5 days during my conference visit in Hyatt Regency, Embarcadero St. The hotel has a fantastic transportation convenience, that there is a Bart station in front of the hotel. The area there however was not very noisy. I was a bit nervous and scared at my first day there because of the amount of homeless people over there. However, during my remaining 4 days stay, i was used to it. The big tip is not to care about any of the homeless people. They would ask u for money, u can just ignore them and nothing bad would happen. By seeing this fact, I think it is quite a peaceful street to live in.

In terms of service and facility of the hotel, they have a tv set and an attached bathroom in my hotel room. Nothing is particularly unpleasant. They also provide free breakfast every 7am to 9am. However, the breakfast is limited to 1 donut per person and with free flow of coffee.

So, I would recommend this hotel for you, if you want a nice and cheap (around $58 per night) hotel to stay at.

• Liked — transportation
  • Disliked — in-room entertainment
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank JobsOdell
New Zealand
Reviewed August 2, 2007

Booked through an agency at last minute, what a mistake. If only I had read some reviews from 'TripAdvisor' first!

I was travelling from London on way to NZ.. The driver of the San Fran taxi asked me 'how did you choose this place?' And when I asked him why, he just said... don't go walking around at night!

I was a tad concerned. But on arriving at 1.30am I was even more concerned at the area I was in. Thought that I would be OK as it was only 3 blocks from Union Square. How wrong I was then, too.

The entrance was dark, dull and dirty.
The lift was old and rickety.
The corridor and room smelt of dried urine.
The room itself was dirty, though sheets were clean.
Stains on the floor in bathroom.
Towels and shower clean, though shower curtain left a lot to be desired.
Small spiders came out of the overflow hole in hand-basin.
TV didn't work very well. -
I was told that building is being upgraded

Breakfast !! well, sweet doughnuts were in a cardboard box on the hotel lobby desk, and some hot coffee & water was also availalbe down there.

Outside there were many people wandering around drinking, with some sleeping on the street while others were selling items until 5am - 6am each morning. Outside the Hotel, there were people having mini-fights and yelling to each other all night - this was along all the streets nearby so it was very noisy even with bedroom window shut.
In the day-time groups of men were blocking footpaths, needing me to either walk through them or go onto the road amongst traffic. Most of these people were drinking or had difficulty walking.

A feeling of being unsafe was strong, but I did stay as I had pre-paid. Such a shame as it has now added to my dissatisfaction about being in the USA..... I will not come again.

I will not use that internet accommodation agency again - and will send them a report, too.

• Liked — Close to Central San Francisco
  • Disliked — The location of the Hotel and the dirtiness of both Hotel and the streets.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
6 Thank RosaDay

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Huntington Beach, CA
Reviewed May 17, 2007

My job requires me to travel all over the country, and have stayed at many hotels (some good and some bad). I decided to go to a travel website and saw Verona for only 35$ a night but when i got there i found out why it was so cheap. There are drug addicts all around and very sketchy people. I saw one smoking a crack pipe right in front of the hotel, and i saw another getting frisked by an undercover cop. When i parked right in front by a meter, a homeless man knocked on my window and asked me if i needed any "aids" refering to drugs. Another lady was right in front swigging down a cheap bottle of vodka at noon. I checked in to the hotel around that time, and when i did the desk clerk wanted to charge me 35$ (the same price of the hotel) to park my car. I talked her down to 10$. I then went up the creaky elevator from 1920 saw my room with a stained comforter and tv that didnt work, and basically checked out right then. I checked in at noon and checked out a half hour later. I can honestly say you will not feel safe at this hotel and even though its cheap I wouldnt risk my safety for a few bucks. Worst Hotel Ever!

• Liked — nothing except it was cheap
  • Disliked — the location i feared for my life
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
8 Thank NomadWanderer
Barcelona
Reviewed April 11, 2007

Definitely not recommended. Yes, the staff was nice, hopefully!
The place is horrible, dirty (I was wondering if we were going to find bugs in the bed linen) and located in the worst street of Tenderloin. We didn't even have a shower in the morning because of the state of the barhroom.

I don't know about the rest of the floors, but the 5th one was very noisy and with constant door slammings during all the night.

Summary: avoid Verona, there are other places better located and around the same budget.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Franconetti
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 25, 2006

i was a little nervous based on the prior reviews, but alas, there were no bedbugs, or bugs of anyother sort. i checked under the bed, under the blanket, under the sheets, in the closet.
the hotel itself isn't half bad. the rooms are small, it's noisy and the hotel staff aren't overly friendly, but i have a feeling that has something to do with the location (which i'll get into later).
the rooms have a full size tub in a tiny bathroom. the sink is located directly across from the beds (not in the bathroom). the elevator is super old school, it smells like an old attic, but that's vintage, baby!
*dun dun duuuuuuuuun*:the view:
if you don't know what the tenderloin district is, then go here:
if you think your brave enough and have a sense of humor, then this is the place for you. it's a little scary at first, but when alls said and done, it's not that bad. in fact, it can be a little entertaining, it's fun to look out of your window and see all the activities on the street. there are tons of bums around, drinking beer, illin, yelling, singing, doing deals. we saw 2 men and a woman smoking crack from our window. out in the open. apparently the cops are afraid to work in the 'loin. they hang out in corners and across the street from the verona. i don't think they bother people much. i didn't even see them asking people for money. the hotel staff said not to leave anything in the car, because they'll take it. we saw a couple bums with mini-garage-sales, selling miscellaneous articles of clothing, and other random stuff. don't know where they got it.
all in all it's sad, but hey this is the reality of life.

• Stayed June 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 29, 2006

I stay at the verona hote on april 2006. they have renovated put new carpets, beds and have painted the rooms. I think that this hotel is in a good condition no matter what other people say. I can say that front desk clerk is friendly and can help you with everything you need. the neighborgood is not that bad. I can say that it is a good hotel. I will saty again no matter what other people say.just because other people say is bad I thought that is better to see it for my self than believing other people.

• Stayed April 2006