“Average Hotel - Good Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Union Square

Hotel Union Square
Ranked #102 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
West Sussex
“Average Hotel - Good Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2006

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. It was not too far from the airport approx 30 mins and $40 dollars. On the first impression the reception area/lobby was well presented. Staff were helpful and friendly. Our room and bathroom was small and view was non exsistent.

Location was good. Close to cable car turn table so it was easy to get around.

On our first morning was had breakfast at Tads (resturant next door) which was recommended by Hotel staff, wish we hadn't bothered it was awfull.

On conclusion it served it purpose but was average.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of facilities
  • Tips/Secrets — Visit the Cheesecake Factory on top of Macys in Union Square
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Chuck1975

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2006

I stayed at the Union Square Hotel for 2 nights in October 2006. My business trip coincided with a 40,000 person convention and a marathon, so the stay was during a peak weekend and I was lucky to find the room for under $200. If I had to travel to San Francisco again, I would only stay at the Hotel Union Square if it were again the only place I could find. Here's why:

The hotel is old. Nothing wrong with that, however, little has been done to update the facilities to provide for modern conveniences, save for the free high speed wireless internet. The water pressure was low, the bed was average, the decor was spartan, and the bathroom was quite small. A tiny desk was provided which contained a coffee maker, the ice bucket (along with a few drinks that were for sale) and was also meant to be used as a work space. It was not really useful for anything due to its size and number of functions that it was supposed to perform.

Again, the bathroom was small and the toiletries provided were average at best. For some reason, I had a bag which included a Harlequin romance novel and a woman's razor included in my provided toiletries (thanks for the free stuff, Union Square Hotel, but I'm a guy).

The location was VERY convenient, both to BART, the cable car lines, and the F streetcar. Many attractions are also accessible just by walking. Although the location is great, not much has been done to insulate the rooms from the noise of nearby union square.

I paid just under $200/night for this hotel. If I hadn't been staying during a peak weekend, I would say that was an outrageous rate, however, given the circumstances, I'd say it was fair. For any time of normal demand, I'd say that anything less than $120 would probably be a good value.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Not exactly the most comfortable place to stay
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank zski
Marina del Rey, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2006

You get what you pay for....This hotel has a great location for the price and depending on the room you get it could be a wonderful or horrible experience...We had both during our visit so I'll tell you about both.

We originally booked a room with two double beds room through hotels.com and since we had a discounted rate they gave away our room preference and we were stuck with a room with two twin beds on the first night. The manager Peter, who needs a lesson in hospitality and tact explained the policy of room availability to us in the most condescending tone imaginable when we asked why we were not getting the room we reserved. The rest of the hotel staff was wonderful, helpful and friendly.

First the unpleasant experience......

At first we were given a room they already had given to someone else so we had an unpleasant suprise as we walked into a room that had someone else's belongings and we saw firsthand how relaxed their security was.

The first night we stayed in room 228...at least it was not the haunted room (according to the rumors, it's 207). The room was extremely small and was part of the fire escape route so there is a need to evacuate people would have to use this room. The bathroom was tiny (approx 5x5) and if you are any larger than a size 10 you will have a tough time getting into the shower. The sink area was so small there was not enough space to put your toiletries on the sink. There is no air conditioning and when we turned on the ceiling fan it wiggled so much that it looked (the base of the fan and the arm holding the blades looked as if they were were going to disconnect) and sounded (squeakiest fan ever) as though it were going to fall off the ceiling right on to your bed directly underneath it. If you want to leave the window open ...since the fan is so loud and squeaky....you risk having someone from the next room or someone from the fire escape coming into your room....since we were two women leaving that window open was not a viable option. Also, this room has a door or half door since half of it is a window, which is covered with white paper and white blinds so at night the room is illuminated from the lights in the hallway....I would request this room if you are afraid of the dark!!

Now for the positive......The second night we stayed in room 325. This room had two double beds and it was a huge improvement over the first room. The bathroom was a decent size and had a bathtub and the sink had enough space to put your toiletries on the sink.

Stayed October 2006
2 Thank BellaFromLA
Denver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2006

I was a bit leery after reading other reviews, but I figured, "at this price, I'll survive a bit of inconvenience." I was wrong. Even though SF was in a cold-snap, upon arriving in my room, it was stuffy and uncomfortably hot. The window in my room opened to a parking lot, and would only stay open when propped up with my notebook. When I asked for a fan, they said b/c my room had a ceiling fan, they didn't have one for me. The beds were tired (springs would go bioooo-ing, when I shifted my weight (which is rediculous, as I weigh approx. 120lbs.), and the bathroom was so tight I had to straddle the toilet to close the door, in order to reach the light switch behind it.
All this being said, the location is fabulous, and when I asked the hotel staff to leave my window open during the day, the room was more tolerable. Bring ear plugs and your patience.

• Liked — Location right on convenient Powell St.
  • Disliked — Location right on noisy Powell St.
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room away from the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank AlTri11
London, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2006

I stayed here with a friend 2 weeks ago. We specifically booked a 2 double-bed room via expedia.

When we checked in (at around 3pm) we were told that they had no 2 double-bed rooms left. When we questioned this, we were told that expedia had sold us a room that was not available and that there was nothing they could do.

They proceeded to show us two rooms- one was tiny with a rickety glass door, the other was dark and dungeon-like with no windows.

As two girls travelling together, we really wanted a room that was safe, and with 2 beds so that we could both get a good nights sleep after a long flight from england.

In the end we took the dungeon-like room as we were too tired to argue any more. We were promised a 2 double-bed room the next day....

When we went to reception the next day, they told us that there again were no 2 queen bed rooms. They again showed us some really rickety and small rooms. In the end we settled for a small double room with an extra camp bed. This room was ok but very small, with a shower that didn't work and a random cupboard above the toilet that opened out onto a chute with a pile of dirty towels at the bottom.

Interstingly for the rest of our trip around california, we had no problems getting the 2 double-bedrooms we'd requested via expedia and they were much bigger and generally cheaper than union square.

In summary, the location of this hotel is good and the free coffee each morning is nice. But the unhelpful staff, the poor service (we overheard other guests with similar complaints), the musty corridors and the unpleasant small rooms make it a place that I'd really not recommend.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The hotel staff and the rooms
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
6 Thank victoriakate
Newcastle upon Tyne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2006

This hotel is extremely well placed right in the middle of the shopping area with easy access to eateries for breakfast and dinner.

It is an old hotel which is very clean and nicely decorated in an old but pleasant style. The rooms were the smallest on the tour but were perfectly adequate although one or two people changed their room due to a noisy location(at the front of the hotel) or because they had been smoking rooms, A nice touch was the provision of some essential items although the ladies razor was of little use to me.

It has access to a restaurant but I do not think it belongs to the hotel - breakfast there was fine and a reasonable price but we preferred the betty boop diner across the road.

The jazz restuarant around the corner was great for dinner and the music - moderate price.

The best thing about this hotel apart from the very reasonable price is its location. Ideal for the trolley cars which terminates just around the corner and the F route trolly bus which takes you down to Fishermans wharf. We walked through Chinatown down to the crooked Lombard Street then walked back to the hotel after the trolley bus unexpected stopped at the markets on the pier(Due to a march in market street)

• Liked — Excellent Location
  • Disliked — Smallish although adequate rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — free wine between 5 and 6 if you like white sparkling wine although we asked for and got some red wine
  • Stayed September 2006
2 Thank NIRS3
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2006

Some of the reviews already posted weren't great so we were a bit worried but the price was right and location seemed good so we booked anyway and it payed off.

Location literally could not be better - right in the middle of things at Union Square but also less than a 2 minute walk to all public transport.

Actual hotel was great too - it's old so it has a lot of style but it's kept in excellent condition and is nicely decorated.

Staff were overly helpful with luggage lost by airline and all other questions we had.

This was the best find of our trip!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no breakfast
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends