Hotel Union Square
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$305
$183
$338
$185
  • Pool
Kimpton Buchanan(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$217
$189
  • Restaurant
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
$309
$279
$237
Westin.com
  • Room Service
Fairmont San Francisco(San Francisco)
$415
$220
1,977 results
All reviewscable cargreat locationunion squareboutique hotelpowell stbart stationcomplimentary winewine receptionwine hourstreet sidestreet noiseheart of san franciscojunior suitelight sleeperrooms are smallmoscone centermarket street
Reviewed August 13, 2006

I stayed at the Union Square Hotel over the weekend and thought that the place was pretty nice for the price. I'll list the honest pro's and con's about the hotel:

Pro's:

- GREAT location. It is right where all of the action is and not to mention 2 doors down from H & M and places to eat.
- They had a really nice staff.
- We got upgraded to 2 queen beds, a nice surprise.

Con's:

- The room smelled a little strange, almost like the windows were closed for too long, but with the help of windows and a fan, the stuffy smell went away and it didn't bother us anymore.
- The street was really noisey but noise comes with the city. Luckily we stayed towards the back of the hotel.

Overall, for the price and the location, I was really happy. We didn't encounter any problems while we had our stay at the hotel. You can't expect the Ritz-Carlton, this is a place to take naps and lye your head at night. I would definately stay at the Union Square Hotel again.

And if you're planning on going to San Fran soon, BRING A HEAVY JACKET! It was freezing in August!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank heartsnbones
Reviewed July 15, 2006

We stayed at the Union Square Hotel July 8 through the 14th. We were very happy with the location, the proximity to all forms of transportation and the ambiance. The staff were friendly and the rooms were comfortable and clean. We were in a double and the bathroom was huge. You can tell that it is an older hotel but that added to the charm. Restaurants of all types and price ranges are close by including an excellent (and CHEAP)Thai noodle place right next door. We had originally planned to stay near the airport, and are so glad that we changed our minds and paid more in order to be closer to the action. The concierge is very helpful with scheduling tours. My family (myself, husband and 15 year old daughter) would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank epmitchell
Reviewed July 4, 2006

We just returned from our stay at the Union Square Hotel. We were there for one night over the busy fourth of july weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect given the reviews and budget cost. I was very pleasantly surprised with what we received - courteous and friendly staff, excellent San Francisco location and a simple yet comfortable room. You can't expect the Ritz Carlton but it has lots of character. If you don't want a cookie cutter hotel but want something with history and charm, I would definitely stay at the Union Square Hotel. There are tons of restaurants nearby, who needs air conditioning it's San Francisco, and wireless internet throughout the hotel makes it easy to stay connected. This hotel is no more noisy than any other. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank mchavs
Reviewed June 25, 2006

This hotel has many cute features and their parking lot, once you find it, is convenient HOWEVER this hotel has many difficulties to overcome and I simply cannot recommend it. First, I requested a quiet room at booking but at check in was told the quiet rooms were unavailable. The hotel upgraded me to a larger room on a higher floor but it was still unbearably noisy. I couldn't sleep until after 3 am due to the cable cars, buses, foot traffic, trash pick-up, etc. The upgraded room wasn't much of a consolation, either. The bathroom was tiny and not nice and in general, the room was poorly remodeled. On top of all of this, there is not air conditioning. Sure, in San Francisco you can open the window and things cool down....but not when your room faces Powell street and you want to sleep!! The staff was friendly and I like the interior brick walls, but it just isn't worth the lack of sleep, the hot room and the ugly bathroom.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank Wolfesaroundtheworld
Reviewed May 4, 2006

I was surprised by the Union Square Hotel. I knew that it would be in a good location (right on Powell Street, just a block up from where the trolleys are turned around and sent back up), right off Union Square, and in the heart of the shopping and tourist district of San Francisco.

I figured for the price I was paying, and given the location, that something would have to give. Actually, my room, though small, was fine. The bed was good and the hotel offered free wireless internet, which I thought was awesome. There was even a nice gift bag in the bathroom with toothpaste, a granola bar, hand cream, and other nice touches.

This is a good hotel with great value for the money. It's not the nicest place I've ever been to, but it's got a great location, the service is friendly and helpful, and the rooms are just fine.

I would definitely stay here again, and have recommended it to other people who want a reasonably priced hotel in San Francisco.

• Stayed: April 2006