New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #99 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Dover, United States
“Great Stay!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. It exceeded my expectations in nearly every respect. The hotel is in a great location (i.e. close to many great restaurants, stores, BART station, cable cars). We were in town to attend some baseball games at AT&T ballpark and we could easily walk there from the hotel.

The staff was very professional and extremely polite. We had interactions with the front desk, maid service and concierges and they all did whatever they could to make sure our stay was an enjoyable one. The concierges really spent a lot of time with us pointing out the best ways to see the sites and for that, I'm very grateful.

The room was really terrific (we had a double Queen). It faced Powell Street so it was a little noisy at night, but it's a major city so I wasn't put off by it. The size of the room was bigger than expected. Plenty of room to spread out and store all of our clothes, plus the safe and closet came in very handy. The bathroom was very clean and the tub had one of the best shower heads I've ever used.

The room had an air-conditioner but we never turned it on the entire week we were there. The room stayed nice and cool so long as we kept the windows cracked open.

For someone on a budget, I would highly recommend this hotel. It's location is fantastic and the staff made us feel right at home. I would definitely stay here again the next time I visit San Francisco.

Room Tip: I would make sure I got a room with a safe.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank William T
Personality H, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear William T.,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and positive review to share with other fellow travelers. We are so pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations and that our hotel staff was so hospitable! Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning for your next trip to San Francisco.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Best,
Dana Andrews
Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Hebrew first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

Lovely hotel with lots of character. Excellent location as far as the trolley cars go. No guest laundry on site though. The nearest one is in Post Street, about 5-6 blocks away.
Tad's Steakhouse next door is an excellent place for meals.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kellie D
Los Banos, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

I had a great stay very clean, very helpful and morning staff more helpful and friendly than the evening staff. I was grateful how its close and walking distance to all that I needed. I would recommend this place to someone who wants to walk or catch the trolley actually all kinds of public transportation is available.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the street but it was very quiet my whole over night stay.
Green Features: Awesome staff that was very helpful, I had some trouble with check in but they assisted me and gave me excellent customer service:-)
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Vikki1966
Harlev, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

4 days in San Francisco and want to stay downtown. This hotel is located perfect, and the service is in top. The Rooms is great, and a lot of space. Everything you need for a City break :-) Would recommend this any day.

Room Tip: Room with two queen size bed, housed our family of 2 adults and two boys17,14.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JesperStig
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights.
On arrival the hotel didn't have my reservation even though I'd booked a junior suite directly through their own site and had the confirmation in my hand. After a brief phone call to her superiors the lady at the check in desk upgraded us to the penthouse. A lovely gesture.
I can't vouch for the others rooms but the penthouse is amazing, the private decking area on the roof is just amazing.
Hotel itself is in a perfect location on powell, right next to cable turnaround and union square.
All staff friendly and helpful.
Memorable experience and would recommend to friends and family alike.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

we stayed there in a sleep and soak room, we chose this one cause my bf and I like to basically be out of the hotel all day long walking and enjoying the city, so for the price/quality it was amazing! is the best location you can get to move around, just all around you have all kind of stores and the cable car few steps from it and the best the bart 1 block away which made it easier to move from-to the airport, my only "but" would be the room is quite dark and hot cause is not facing the main street or a window, but the staff always kept the fans and AC on to receive us in a cool room, it is definitely a personality hotel in decoration and service! honestly if you want a perfect location this is the one..

Room Tip: sleep & soak room- if what you want is a great location, this is a simple room with good price...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Abril P
Personality H, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Hi Abril,

Thank you very much for your kind words and for choosing Hotel Union Square. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location ideal for exploring San Francisco. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Kind Regards,
Megan Brandt Guest Relations
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

Totally fit the bill for my business trip and meetings across the Square…However, I will say that I felt a bit weird like I was walking into a 1980's brothel. In Eastern Europe. Designed by Dracula.

Way over stylized,dated, a tad loud and even a little creepy if you're coming in alone and late night as I did from the airport.

Clean, compact, and a bit bare, the rooms are the typical size you would find in the historical buildings of the area.
If you're not used to that or interested in something more luxe, check whether they offer suites, or try a hotel in a modernized building.
The location is convenient to the tourist attractions and the staff was very friendly and knowledgable.
They also offer morning coffee and a Happy Hour with complimentary wine.
I believe there is a very close BART station as well.

Green Features: The did offer a great thing, the opportunity to buy water for the underprivileged when you buy the water in the room…$3 a bottle or so, and you get to help the world! Great!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank CDanielle A
Domitille M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor. I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your expecations. The last thing I would want is for our guests to feel weird staying at our hotel. Please consider one of our sister properties also located near Union Square on your next visit to San Francisco. Hotel Diva will offer a similar decor with a modern style, and Kensington Park for an elegant style hotel. Once again I do apologize for not meeting your needs, I do hope you change your mind and try one of our sister properties instead. Have a wonderful day.

Lennin B. Ledesma