“San Franciso Fab.”

Ranked #103 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“San Franciso Fab.”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Crossed America E to W 6,500 miles,17 hotels all real good but the Union Square..............top marks....warm and friendly ...helpfull reception desk....right in the heart of things but so quite.
Perfect decor...........If you go to Frisco......you must stay here......a short 30 min walk to Pier 39 and Fishermans walk thru Chinatown or......if your feet are not up to it......hop on a cable car right outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are fine but we had a back room .....no view but no noise....after a hard days ex...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andy K
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I couldn’t be more thrilled and honored to have an experienced guest like you give Hotel Union Square such a great review! Providing our guests with an exceptional experience and the very best in hospitality is of utmost importance to everyone on our team. Your kind words and appreciation for our efforts will be shared with all of our associates. It would be an honor and my distinct pleasure to welcome you again for your next visit to San Francisco.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed in a twin room at this hotel with my adult son for 10 days in June 2013. Because of the length of our stay, the hotel advised they were giving us one of their bigger rooms. Our room was on the sixth floor facing a carpark into a side street. There was no noise apart from the odd noisy hotel guest and the lovely dinging of the cable car bells which was great. Our room and the ensuite bathroom were extremely clean and well maintained. Was a little hot at times but air conditioning was avaialable. There were coffee making facilities in the room and a docking station. Toiletries were also provided. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Free coffee and tea was available in the lobby in the mornings and wine o'clock in the early evenings was a lovely touch. The most amazing thing about this hotel is the location. You step outside the door and San Francisco is there waiting for you. It made going out in the evening after a long day sightseeing very easy. We loved this hotel and would easily stay there again. Loved the art deco fittings. I have stayed in other hotels in San Francisco and this was the best. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is all about location. Many other reviewers seemed to mention this as well. We were slightly unlucky to have a second floor room right on Powell street so it was slightly noisy. The room was comfortable enough with free wi if. Also coffee in the morning which always goes down well. The hotel held our bags for us for two days whilst we camped in Yosemite and had no issues helping us book in our transfer to the airport. I think for the location was reasonably priced for its location, the rooms are small but nice and. It is an easy commute to many of San Frans tourist attractions.

Stayed June 2013
Camas, Washington
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I loved this property! But if boutique is not your thing, or rooms in a historic building not to your liking, find someplace else. My room was on the 5th floor facing Powell, bustling with people, cars, and the trolley. Noisy like a major American city, but with the charm San Francisco offers - I dug the clanging trolley car bell, forgivingly quiet at night. Larger than some, but smaller than others, my compact room was light and clean with a nice bathroom, and a comfortable bed. I loved the old wood-work stair cases, the funky floor layout and not being blasted by over air conditioning! I relished opening the window for a breeze and felt safe and secure while doing it. Not total black-out shades, but well-enough for this dark room sleeper. The historic diner next door is just that, a diner with history. Not fancy, but clean and good prices (breakfast.) This place was the bow on my San Francisco experience, not new, shiny, and all hermetically sealed glass. - but clean and interesting, with history and a "another era" flavor.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing out, with good light. Check out their specialty suites - quite large and worth...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bernadet R
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Know Before You Go,

It is so refreshing to hear from a guest that appreciates the charm that our historic boutique hotel has to offer. Thank you for the beautifully articulate review. I believe your words will help to set the expectations of other travelers that want to experience the Personality of Hotel Union Square. We strive to maintain the delicate balance of staying true to the historic design elements, such as, the beautiful staircase, and the Dashiell Hammet Suite where historic novels were penned, and introduction of new modern amenities, such as, free wifi, and soundproof windows. It would be so easy to just tear it all down and put up a boring new concrete and glass building, and I also suppose, it would also be easy to take away the Cable Cars and use regular buses, but this is Personality Hotels of San Francisco, and we are anything but boring and regular!!
It is people like you that give our team the courage to let their personalities shine though, and the passion for creating that perfect experience for guests just like you!

Best regards,
Forrest, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The hotel is excellently located in central San Francisco very close to the Cable Car turn around on Powell street (one block down). It is very close to everything except the Fisherman's Wharf for which you will need a taxi, cable car or a bus to access (all close and available).

We booked this hotel some 11.5 months prior to our arrival and it came recommended. We did this because there was a large number of bookings in SFO at the time we were visiting.

On arrival at the hotel we were courteously greeted and politely advised that we had been upgraded to a Superior Room but for a few dollars extra we could have the Penthouse suite. Of course we were delighted until we were shown the "superior" room which could only be likened to a thin version of the bat cave - no windows, no room for cases, the television mounted on the wall so that if watching it you could not access one side of the bed. Not impressed I asked the front desk for a different room and was advised that I could still have the Penthouse (for a fee) or another room at a lower rank. After visiting the Penthouse which was up two flights of narrow steep stairs from the upper floor I advised that the Penthouse although suitable accommodation- wise it was highly unsuitable as we had two large suit cases (which the porter refused to carry up there).

Thus we were given a choice of two rooms at the end of the hall on the 5th floor. The room that we reluctantly accepted (because we suspected they had already allocated the room we booked to some one else) turned out to be a emergency exit route (that is right through our room to a fire escape).

The room was small but the bathroom was even tinier with sitting straight on the toilet impossible.

The bed in the room was lumpy but the linen was clean and there were sufficient pillows. The room had no air conditioning but the window could be opened for fresh air - probably because you had to climb through this window to escape.

The hotel does provide tea and coffee in the foyer.

Do not be tempted to go to the café next door but one to the hotel unless you like fat burgers and greasy everything. Take a walk up the road where there are at least two good places to eat.

A very disappointing hotel with little to offer apart from the friendly staff and its excellent location. Go somewhere else if you can. You will be happy you did.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel unless you are a masochist
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2SLR
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I was terribly disappointed to learn that your accommodations did not meet your expectations and I apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced. Your review has taken us
Completely by surprise, as it is always our goal to provide the best service possible to our guests to ensure their time with us is memorable.
I loved hearing your compliments about our location and the fact that you found our associates to be very friendly. All feedback is welcomed, positive or otherwise so that we may continue to work towards providing the best possible experience for each and every guest.
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Union Square. It's a comfortable, clean hotel in a great location, with friendly, helpful staff and it made a perfect base for our holiday in this beautiful city. We enjoyed the free wine and live music the hotel provides each evening. Even the weather was sunny (last week of May, 2013).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for a wonderful review! I am very delighted to know that you enjoyed your hotel stay and our amenities. Whether for business or leisure our pleasure is creating a welcoming environment for our guests. I look forward to inviting you back again for another excellent stay at Hotel Union Square.
Richfield, Ohio, United States
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel was everything good I hoped it would be and none of the bad I feared.

I won't go on and on about location, since it's quite obvious from all of the other reviews the hotel is perfectly situated in downtown San Francisco.

I stayed in an executive king room facing the inner courtyard of the building. The room was large, meticulously cleaned, and smelled wonderful. I especially enjoyed the high ceilings and tall windows. The bed was extremely comfortable with soft cushy down pillows. The provided clock radio included an iPod docking station with two alarm settings. There was a large closet with a safe, iron, and ironing board along with two bath robes and two pair of slippers. A small refrigerator was in the room along with a one cup coffee maker including coffee, creamer, and sweeteners. There was a nice variety of San Francisco branded snacks along with beverages such as Voss water and canned soda in the room for a small fee. The complimentary wifi worked without a hitch and was super fast.

As far as noise is concerned, my husband and I agreed, we have never experienced a more quiet stay in any hotel, anywhere. I travel pretty frequently and during most hotel stays I am used to being woken up by fellow travelers with their usual noises i.e. doors slamming, TV's, showers running, toilets flushing. At this hotel I didn't experience any of the expected hotel noise or any outside noise at all. Honestly, it was the most quiet and peaceful few nights sleep I've had while traveling ever! This was very surprising to both of us, since after reading other reviews we expected just the opposite.

The hotel is not perfectly groomed and doesn't feel brand new, but that is precisely what adds to its character and charm. If you are looking for shiny and new then spend the big bucks and stay at one of the larger hotel chains around the corner and please, for the sake of us all, quit complaining about lovely little places such as this. The Hotel Union Square deserves to be appreciated for its enduring beauty, bumps and all.

I would stay here again and most definitely recommend it to the people I like.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business