“lovely boutique hotel with great staff!”
Review of Hotel Union Square

Hotel Union Square
Ranked #90 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I joined a girlfriend here for a San Francisco getaway. Like most little SF boutique hotels, the rooms are tiny with little window light, but the room was immaculately clean and contemporary sleek. It's located right off Union Square so the best place to be when in downtown San Francisco. The staff was the best. Tom Steele is the concierge and he had great recommendations for a breakfast restaurant. He was so friendly and helpful. The entire staff was that way and it made our stay a very memorable experience.

Room Tip: If you don't mind a room without a window we really liked room 219. It was long and narrow, bu...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Linda-Thank you for your nice comment about our staff and your experience with us here at Hotel Union Square. It was very much appreciated, and you might be pleased to know that Tom, our concierge will receive special recognition for making your stay with us such a memorable one. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

With kindest regards,
Tony Abboud
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,869)

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed here for GDC conference, it was close to the BART, market street over all close to everything!

The hotel rooms are simple, but have a modern style to them. Its a simple hotel that has a unique style this is it! There's local art on the walls in the bedrooms and in the lobby and floors, the building as built in the 1900s I think and has been renovated into a hotel. It's privately owned, Tom and the front desk staff were super friendly! and there complimentary coffee in the mornings and wine at night. Our room faced the street, we could hear the cable cars at night and its in a great location to union square and the convention center. The wifi is super fast!! I got great results on speedtest.net way faster than the Grand Hyatt a friend was staying at.

We were happy to get up and out and sample the many local food places for breakfast that are around near the hotel. Other comments complained about lack of fridge or other amenities, but really if you staying in the heart of market street do you plan on living in your hotel? We didn't have a car, so not sure about parking for those that need it.

We will definitely be staying here again next time we are in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms that are higher elevation may reduce the street noise if that bothers some. Not us :)
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I booked this hotel mainly because of the location. It was close to everything.We took the BART to and from SFO with no problems at all. The hotel is old, but beautiful. The staff was friendly and the Concierge was always very helpful. Our room was on the 3rd floor facing the street. Great view of everything going on, but at night--even late into the night, the noise was really bad. The room did get a little warm while we were out during the day, but the second day we closed the blinds and left the window opened and it was perfect after a long day and evening of sightseeing. The room was small but okay for two people. Everything from the bed to the bathroom fixtures were all updated and clean. The lighting in the bathroom could have been a little better, but nothing to cause a problem. I will certainly stay here on my next visit to San Francisco.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank WendyWTN28
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Hotel Union Square. We just loved it! Love the service, staff very friendly and accommodating! The room was colorful and cozy! Also, what we loved about this hotel is that everything is close by, such as shops, eatery's, cable car is right in front. All I can say is that is was a pleasant experience!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Victoria D
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed here whilst on business in San Francisco, and was very impressed with the overall standard at this hotel. Being so close to everything San Francisco has to offer is for me the reason I would highly recommend this hotel as a great place to stay. The hotel is very clean, the service is extremely professional, and the standard of the rooms is also a plus. I also loved the free wine reception in the lobby, which was a nice touch. It's great being able to just step outside and be right next to Union Square. As a single woman, I felt very safe in this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank deb t

Dear valued Guest-Thank you so much for your nice comments about our hotel and staff. I am glad that you enjoyed all of our amenties and the excellent service you received from our staff.
I just want you to know that it is comments like yours that truly gives us the passion to excel at what we do. I am looking forward to see you again soon.

With best regards,
Tony Abboud
Hotel manager

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This hotel is right in the middle of it all, in downtown SF. It's a mix of old world charm integrated with modern amenities. As the cable car passed directly below our room, I found myself standing at the window for a good long time "people watching" and loving it. Even with the hustle and bustle below our room, it was quite and comfortable. All staff interaction from the maids, to the front desk, to the Manager were very pleasant. I will definitely return to this hotel next time I visit SF.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary C
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel lives in a building with great bones. Old, old beautiful staircases can be found on each floor. The floors make wonderful creaking sounds when you walk across them. Like an old building should. Everything in the hotel has fresh paint, new furnishings, and fixtures.

The staff was super super friendly. Like bend-over-backwards friendly. It was obvious they are focused on good guest experiences. They asked of my preferences checking in. Housekeeping was friendly and delightful.

My room had a clean bathroom with new fixtures, a good closet, and comfortable bed. It was clean and faced the trolley line. I was asked on check in about light vs. quiet. I chose light, but street noise wasn't too bad (really old building). If you are a light sleeper, you probably don't stay in old buildings on super busy streets anyway.

The hotel is smack dab in the middle of shopping galore. 2 blocks from the BART station. 2 blocks from Market. On the trolley line. You can walk everywhere from this hotel.

If I could make one suggestion - the shower heads. Mine was that rain type that is way high up and supposed to make you feel refreshed and alive. Probably did that, but still would have loved a regular shower head. My room chair was low (very cute) and looked a little suspect. Just one of those modern, but gets nasty type fabrics. I would have preferred something I knew housekeeping could service. :)

I'd consider this place for my next trip. I might look a little, but certainly wouldn't rule this place out...especially because the staff was so friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business