Hotel Union Square
$194
  • Pool
$189
  • Restaurant
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
$189
  • Breakfast included
Chancellor Hotel on Union Square(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$240
$215
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$253
$219
  • Room Service
Hilton Parc 55 San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$217
$192
Hilton.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$259
$206
  • Restaurant
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$227
$195
  • Room Service
Palace Hotel(San Francisco)
$370
$325
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
$341
$239
1,953 results
All reviewscable cargreat locationunion squareboutique hotelpowell stbart stationcomplimentary winewine receptionwine hourstreet sidestreet noiseheart of san franciscojunior suitelight sleeperrooms are smallmoscone centermarket street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 13, 2012

To break the long flight from Toronto to Kauai I stayed at this hotel right on Powell Street for a few days. Since I was last there four years ago it has been renovated and I found it to be even nicer than before. You can't beat the central location and almost more important is the warm, friendly helpful staff. They really do an outstanding job in helping their visitors. The usual concierge Tom Steele was away but Rubin did a wonderful job. On his recommendation I did a hop-on-hop-off bus trip. $35 for a 24 hour ticket. Managed to do it two days and saw a lot. The manager was also very friendly and helpful.

It is not a spacious hotel, but I am not in SFO to sleep -it had a kingsize bed and nice bathroom and
was very clean. They serve wine between 5-6 p.m. and have a guitar player in the lobby. A nice way to meet other travellers and also coffee in the morning. You are close to lots of good restaurants around the area and it feels safe. It is also reasonably priced.

Room Tip: I think the upper inner courtyard rooms are the quietest.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank dianeatthewater
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

I was very thrilled to read your compliments about my staff and me during your stay here at Hotel Union Square, I will definitely share your compliments with the staff and I am glad that you enjoyed our coffee bar, wine hour and guitar player. I really appreciate the fact that you took your valuable time to write these kind comments and we all look forward to your return.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Great location to holiday shopping in Union Square . The room had 2 double beds , has been updated, a little small but only there to sleep . Clean and quiet . A wine reception with a guitar player singing was a bonus and morning coffee in the lobby . The parking the hotel uses is on site very convenient although no in/out privileges but great because it is secure with valet and you can put bags in your car . The staff were very friendly . The manager greeted us at the wine reception . Yes we will return to this hotel .
Skip the Cheesecake Factory the service is progressively getting worse and not worth the 45min to 1.5 hr wait !

Room Tip: The room with a single double/queen bed is small , at least the one we saw on the third floor was . We ran the ac to block out any street noise . We were on the third floor and didn't really hear any .
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

I am honored that you have chosen Hotel Union Square as your hotel of choice in San Francisco. It is through comments and recommendations, such as yours, that future guests rely on when choosing a hotel in the area. Thank you for your wonderful review and I truly look forward to your return visit.

Best wishes

Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is the third time I have stayed at Hotel Union Square. It is a boutique hotel in the best location. It is on Powell Street, right around the corner from Market Street. My Birthday is in December and it is so fun to head to San Francisco for the weekend. I love this time of year in the city. The weather is usually wonderful.
The regular rooms are not huge, but have high ceilings and the hotel is tastefully decorated. Also an important factor to me is the hotel is clean. The staff and manager are so friendly and accommodating. They are always quick to assist and they are sincere. If you arrive early, they will hold your luggage until your room is ready.
Last year I was there for a special Birthday and they upgraded my room.
Yes, the hotel is old, but that is part of the charm. It is upgraded where it should be yet still has the charm. For those who love the boutique hotels, this is wonderful. The location is perfect. Shopping is great and only a few blocks from Union Square. Lots of great restaurants close by, too. I will definitely be back. I love Hotel Union Square.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank 2-2-italy

Thank you so much for your nice comments about our hotel and staff. I am glad that you enjoyed all of our amenities and the excellent service you received from our staff. I am pleased to know that we were successful in making your birthday celebration here memorable.

I would like you to know how good it makes feel to make your stay with us so pleasurable that you not only return, but you also recommend our hotel to others.

Thank you for the wonderful review!

Best wishes,

Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is a lovely old hotel in a big city feeling. It wasn't an "old" hotel but remodelled to have a nice clean feeling. We origionally had the king executive room and we were upgraded to a suite for our anniversary. We were running late when we checked in and they upgraded us to a "kid compatible suite, we though,t hey this would just have another bed for children. No problem. when we got into the room, it was a huge room, huge bathroom. Half of the room was a great suite,.... the other half had a small twin and was loaded with kids toys. Glowing clowns head, globe, and board games. I was a little bit takne back, they knew it was our anniversary and we got a room with KIDS STUFF. Oh my. We were in a hurry to get see Lion King, so we just left it. My wife thought it was fun, so it was a funny moment on our weekend. We loved the location, and it was close to alot of fun things around union square. We walked to all the big stores to shop and walked to the museum of modern art.
I would highly reccomend this hotel for a great weekend adventure. We felt safe walking around from place to place and from the Orpheum theater.
It was very clean, and the front office was helpful and helped us with taxi's and places to grab a bite to eat. They had coffee and water durring certin times of the day.

Room Tip: If your not familiar with the area, call ahead for the parking structure which is on another street. It is attached to the hotel. The parking was 30 something dollars, and is vallet parking only. This wasn't a big deal, we just missed the hotel, kinda hard to find if you aren't looking. We had a room on the corner next to the street, wasn't too noisy and we liked the City feeling
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SWMKerman
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We loved the location. Had a room at the back so we were not affected by the noise that bothered other reviewers. Wine in the evening was a pleasant way to unwind. We did find that the room was a bit small for us and our two suitcases but were happy to put up with it. Overall, it ticked all our boxes - central location, comfy bed and quiet.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for room away from the street.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple