“Dugout Suite Expirence”

Ranked #102 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
San Mateo, California
“Dugout Suite Expirence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Dugout Suite was the Giants' themed suite, so all the decor was black and orange. The suite was absolutely adorable and it was so much fun for my family to be in the 2012 World Series Champions suite, right in the heart of San Francisco. The entire atmosphere of the hotel was welcoming, even inviting. The service was friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We were looking for a good family restaurant to eat at and the concierge helped us find the perfect place for us. I'd definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends and family.

Room Tip: I recommend the dugout room for a great Giants experience.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Hebrew first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here in October when I was in town for a school event. I have no real complaints about the hotel, room was clean, staff was friendly and the location is great. It's true it can be noisy at night but that's because the location is RIGHT in the center of everything-- it's a city.. you can't really complain about noise. I wouldn't necessarily pick this as my first choice hotel in SF but it got the job done.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank morocjaim
hillsdale, nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have to admit I was a little nervous walking into this hotel. Located in the middle of Union Square with a huge Uniqlo store across the street, a Tad's Steaks next door with a currency exchange booth right off the lobby, I feared I had booked a room on "the Bowery". However, upon entering the lobby, I truly came upon an urban oasis.
Hotel Union Square is conveniently located close to EVERYTHING San Francisco has to offer. If it's not in walking distance (like to Fisherman's Wharf area), you can hop a cable car directly outside the lobby. The hotel is about 4 short blocks to Chinatown, and is in the heart of the shopping/theatre district. Additionally, the staff is wonderful; they simply cannot do enough for you. Coffee/tea/cold drinks are served all day in the lobby and snacks and wine in the afternoon. Our concierge personally arranged a rental car for me as well as a number of restaurant reservations. He was patient and extremely helpful. The rooms, while very small, are still quite comfortable. This is an old building, with very thick walls. Thus, the rooms are quiet. The hotel itself has a very "boutique" feel; once inside you forget you are amid the hustle and bustle of a major city. I highly recommend Hotel Union Square to any traveler who wants a comfortable, albeit small room, in a terrific location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with large windows; opening them helps the room feel larger.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ellenwk
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The service was really good, but we made the mistake of allowing our travel agent to book the room for us. She booked standard rooms at all our other hotels across US and they were all lovely. When we got to this one, the three of us were stuffed into a very small room with 2x double beds (I fell out twice on the first night). I have to stress, this was by no means the hotel's fault, but you should ensure you research what room you really want. It's worth paying the extra $30/night for a larger room - which is what we ended up doing. The location is fabulous for shopping addicts - right in the middle of everything. It is a very noisy part of town though - you will hear the cable car bells all night long. The staff were friendly and responsive dealing with three very grumpy tennants after the first night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank j_lee_t
Media, Pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Lots of botique hotels around Powell and O'Farrell but this hotel was a pleasant surprise. I stayed here about 25 years ago and it has changed dramatically for the better. You have to search for the entrance- between a gift store and a money change- but the lobby is very modern- concierge meets you at the door and the checkin staff is young and very helpful. The hotel has been taken over by the Personality Group who has done a complete make-over of the rooms which are clean and spacious. Everything is there if you need it- bathroom supplies, iron, wifi, flatscreen tv and king beds. Free coffee in the morning, wine in the afternoon and hot tea. 1/2 block from Market St and BART.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank andynap
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is incredibly late, but none the less we felt that we had to write about our amazing stay at the Union Square Hotel.

Hotel: We had a King executive room and stayed for 10 nights in September of 2011, our room was spacious, immaculate, comfortable and plush. The room was quiet (we were facing the inner courtyard not the street), Room 310, the bed was very comfortable, It wasn't cheap, however, you are on Powell Street and in the heart of the city. Walking distance to all sites and the best shopping ladies!!. Staff could not have been more helpful and nice. Wine reception every evening and a coffee and tea reception every morning, however Starbucks is a 30 second walk away if you like your blends. Concierge was really helpful and pleasant and organised several days out for us without a glitch. They have a very small well equipped business centre, two PC's and printers free of charge, free WiFi in the hotel with no problems. All in all a fantastic welcoming hotel and we will return in the future.

Restaurants:

We ate in apparently what is the most expensive restaurant in the city (Morton's Steakhouse). They give a visual menu which I found strange as I really had not bargained on meeting my dinner in person before it was cooked!! :) The steak was excellent and we would recommend, however be prepared to pay $300.00 for your meal, was it worth it?......not sure to be honest. Behind the hotel through the car park there is a steak house called John's, we had an exceptional meal with all the trimmings for a fraction of the price. We had a really bad experience in the Cheesecake factory above Macy's, we waited over an hour to be seated, midway through our starter they presented our main course and when I asked was this the norm the waitress looked perplexed??. So I would not advise anyone to eat there unless they want a hurried starter to finish with a cold main. By the by, some of the best food we had in San Fran was in Pier 39, Wow!!! fresh fresh fresh fish served in an easy going way with lovely staff who ooze warmth. Nicky's bar in Height Street is a must for any sport loving individual and those who like a hearty Irish meal and good grub! :).

Sites to see:

Sonoma is a must, especially the Zacuzzi vineyard as it was our favourite, really good wine and amazing scenery. Wasn't too impressed with Napa but perhaps that was because we were not taken to the right Vineyards. We recommend seeing the painted ladies, Grace cathedral, Height Ashbury, little Italy, China town and our favourite Sausalito.

Recommendations:

Wear something light going to Sausilto, Napa and Sonoma as the temps are incredibly higher than the city. Do eat at John's steakhouse and any of the restaurants at Pier 39. Do stay at the Union Square Hotel (Perhaps as per previous reviews) upgrade to an executive King and I assure you that you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing Powell street, didn't stay in one but there is a lot of traffic including trams...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so very much for providing such a lovely review of Hotel Union Square! I am truly touched to know that you were left with such great memories about your stay with us. I also appreciate the fact that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share the highlight of your experience.

Providing a warm welcoming, and a high level of service are our priorities and I couldn't be happier to learn that you enjoyed our services including, our evening wine hour and morning coffee and tea reception. I will be sure to share your lovely review with our Concierge, as well as all of our staff that helped to make your stay so special.

Thank you for your fantastic review of Hotel Union Square. I look forward to your next visit!

Best regards,
Tony Abboud
Hotel Manager
Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We spent 4 nights here in September while on Honeymoon and I have mixed feelings regarding the hotel. Check in was simple reception looked very nice. The hotel as some say has a quirky feel more than boutique and I felt the lighting in the corridors was like being on a funfair ride.

The room we were given was located on the 2nd floor at the front of the hotel. The noise fro the street hit you as you walked in. This was not helped by the shop opposite being refurbished so building wrk went on 24hrs a day. Also I found it a little disconcerting to open the curtains to see all the diners in the restaurant opposite having a view into the room. Saying this I actually enjoyed opening the windows and watching one of San Francisco's busiest streets in action. The shop opposite has now been completed so you won't have cranes and builders at all hours. You will however experience a cacophony of noise all night. The room has no double glazing either. The worst noise is the concierge blowing his whistle to attract taxi's.

The room and bathroom were both compact but did the job. Although the stupid bed has metal legs that protrude from the end. Even with the rubbish foam that had been taped to them, they were a source of much swearing from stubbing toes. No aircon in the room just a fan.

The free wine hour each evening was a nice touch and we enjoyed a glass or two with the guitarist.

We did not get our toiletries replenished until I asked for it but the staff were quick to sort this when I did.

Location is what this place is about. Cable car 2 min walk, union square 2 blocks away. metro 2 min away. It's a perfect location for a city break. Right in the heart of everything

In a room so small try and get beds with legs underneath and utilise the space a little better. Secondary double glazing would help on the front. Free Tea & Coffee plus wine hour a nice touch. Friendly, helpful staff. I was slightly disappointed to here the couple in front of us at reception were on a 1st anniversary & got a suite upgrade and bottle of champagne. Our honeymoon, we got nothing.

The staff seemed surprised that the shop fitting work across the road was disturbing people. Strange seeing as at times it closed the whole road off whilst the crane hauled stuff in & builders were onsite 24hrs.

Room Tip: Unless you enjoy 24hr noise pollution avoid the rooms at the front.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1Sheermadness
Dear Valued Guest,

I was certainly pleased to know that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay, but I couldn't be more disappointed that your entire experience was not as positive.
Please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you experienced during your recent visit to Hotel Union Square. I want to assure that you did not waste your valuable time posting your review, I really appreciate the fact that you were willing to take up some of your valuable time to make us aware of issues like the ones you experienced during your stay with us. This is the best way for us to provide our guests with the most comfortable accommodations possible. So I just wanted to let you know that because of guests’ reviews, we are now installing double paned glass windows to block out as much of the city noises as possible.

I wish I known it was your honeymoon, because I would have been so happy to contribute to your celebration. If you ever plan to spend time again in the heart of San Francisco, I want to invite you to contact me directly, so that I may have a chance of making you a fan of our hotel.

Best regards,