“Slap bang in the action”
Review of Hotel Union Square

Hotel Union Square
Ranked #100 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Nottingham
“Slap bang in the action”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We spent 4 nights here in September while on Honeymoon and I have mixed feelings regarding the hotel. Check in was simple reception looked very nice. The hotel as some say has a quirky feel more than boutique and I felt the lighting in the corridors was like being on a funfair ride.

The room we were given was located on the 2nd floor at the front of the hotel. The noise fro the street hit you as you walked in. This was not helped by the shop opposite being refurbished so building wrk went on 24hrs a day. Also I found it a little disconcerting to open the curtains to see all the diners in the restaurant opposite having a view into the room. Saying this I actually enjoyed opening the windows and watching one of San Francisco's busiest streets in action. The shop opposite has now been completed so you won't have cranes and builders at all hours. You will however experience a cacophony of noise all night. The room has no double glazing either. The worst noise is the concierge blowing his whistle to attract taxi's.

The room and bathroom were both compact but did the job. Although the stupid bed has metal legs that protrude from the end. Even with the rubbish foam that had been taped to them, they were a source of much swearing from stubbing toes. No aircon in the room just a fan.

The free wine hour each evening was a nice touch and we enjoyed a glass or two with the guitarist.

We did not get our toiletries replenished until I asked for it but the staff were quick to sort this when I did.

Location is what this place is about. Cable car 2 min walk, union square 2 blocks away. metro 2 min away. It's a perfect location for a city break. Right in the heart of everything

In a room so small try and get beds with legs underneath and utilise the space a little better. Secondary double glazing would help on the front. Free Tea & Coffee plus wine hour a nice touch. Friendly, helpful staff. I was slightly disappointed to here the couple in front of us at reception were on a 1st anniversary & got a suite upgrade and bottle of champagne. Our honeymoon, we got nothing.

The staff seemed surprised that the shop fitting work across the road was disturbing people. Strange seeing as at times it closed the whole road off whilst the crane hauled stuff in & builders were onsite 24hrs.

Room Tip: Unless you enjoy 24hr noise pollution avoid the rooms at the front.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1Sheermadness
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I was certainly pleased to know that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay, but I couldn't be more disappointed that your entire experience was not as positive.
Please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you experienced during your recent visit to Hotel Union Square. I want to assure that you did not waste your valuable time posting your review, I really appreciate the fact that you were willing to take up some of your valuable time to make us aware of issues like the ones you experienced during your stay with us. This is the best way for us to provide our guests with the most comfortable accommodations possible. So I just wanted to let you know that because of guests’ reviews, we are now installing double paned glass windows to block out as much of the city noises as possible.

I wish I known it was your honeymoon, because I would have been so happy to contribute to your celebration. If you ever plan to spend time again in the heart of San Francisco, I want to invite you to contact me directly, so that I may have a chance of making you a fan of our hotel.

Best regards,
Tony Abboud
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Hebrew first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I first got given a really small room that was so hot I could not even stay there for more than 10 minutes! it had a tiny window and no AC , it was cold outside just the room was boiling and dark.. strange!
They did change my room and i got a nice room looking at the parking lot of the hotel , it was sweet but not amazing , not much noise considering location , the carpet needs a good change as there are lots of stains and is not flat on the floor..
And ok hotel but no luxury at all.
beware of those tiny rooms you dont wanna stay there !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
United States
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Don't forget to do your back exercises and you'll be okay! Like most of the things about this hotel. Our executive king is huge. The Cal King bed is roomy. It's clean as can be and all the staff are helpful. We are facing the center so it's quiet, even with the excitement about the Giants winning the series. love the location--close to everything or close enough to hop a bus/trolley/muni to everything. Vallue for a big city is good.

But the bed is soft and I keep bumping my shins on the frame and that's my biggest complaint, which is a real complaint--since sleep and a bed is sort of important. I may need traction. But there is always something funky in an older place and overall I'm pleased. If I were the type of person to ask for a firmer bed instead of just complaining on Trip Advisor, maybe they would have found me another bed for our 6 night stay.

Room Tip: I love facing the sunwell/courtyard. It's dark but we're not in the room that much, except...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, California
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We booked this hotel through Tingo, Trip advisor's sister company, and the photographs they display on their website are so not what we got.
Our room was located on the inside corridor of the hotel and was extremely dark and dingy...and tiny. The bed had foam wrapping on the bottom corners, which I'm so glad about, as I did hit my legs a few times as I passed by whilst stooping to avoid hitting my head on the wall mounted TV.
On the plus side - great location for downtown and it was (as far as I could see in the poor light) clean. Thankfully we were only crashing there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the street and not on the inside. May be noisier, but they've got to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at Hotel Union Square. It is true that you stayed in one of the smaller rooms in our hotel and we do offer many larger rooms including a great assortment of suites
Please do contact me if you ever plan to return to San Francisco, so that I can ensure that your accommodations match your needs. Thanks again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

With kindest regards,
Tony Abboud
Hotel Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Centrally located just round the corner from cable car turn around too.Tiniest room we've ever stayed in with a bathroom you couldn't swing a mouse in let alone a cat!Bed comfortable and spotlessly clean.Was a bit concerned as the window in the room was also the fire escape for the end of that floor and had visions of other guests charging along the bottom of the bed in the middle of the night if the fire alarm was to go off!!The outlook from said window were emergency stairs and a blank wall and at night the narrow gap acted as a tunnel for the sounds of the outside world to filter into the room,so could hear car alarms,sirens and the rubbish being collected and even screams!The staff were friendly and helpful.Lack of breakfast buffet could have been a problem but we did manage to find a decent place near to the Westin St Francis called Sears. Wouldn't rule out staying here again due to location but the two rooms my family had were nothing like those pictured on the website,so I'd ask for something bigger.

Room Tip: Ask for a decent sized one!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San francisco
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Great quirky hotel. Our room was not small as mentioned in other reviews.
The hotel has a good feel about it.
The location is very central,
Which does mean the noise from the street day or night is loud, especially a Saturday night and a Sunday night when the giants win through to the world series.
Stay at this hotel but get a room not over looking the street.

Room Tip: Street side rooms are noisy
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the location, being close to the cable car, street trams, good shopping & decent restaurants. The room & bed was very small, & the bathroom tiny, but all is forgiven because of the convenience of the hotel. Difficult to find a place for a good, healthy breakfast though, & was dissatisfied with the lack of breakfast buffet at the hotel (or any restaurant). As per other USA hotels, no tea making facilities or fridge were available in the room. Laundromat was quite a walk too. Room was noisy, but acceptable. We wouldn't have a problem staying here again, but may investigate other options with larger rooms & onsite buffets first.

Room Tip: If you can cope with small beds, small rooms & small bathrooms with no breakfast, then you will...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple