“I cannot move and my back is soooo sore!!!”
Review of Hotel Union Square

Hotel Union Square
Ranked #90 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed here after arriving from Hawaii and driving from LA all in one day. We had three adults and one 13 year old in our group. We were charged and extra $60 for the extra adult. When we arrived we were given a 160 square foot room. We could not even walk around without stepping on each other. After complaining and told we would have to pay another $40 per night we were given a larger room with one king bed and a broken sofa sleeper. My daughter fell thru the bed and when we looked under the mattress it had been tied with a wire bread tie! Yes that is true, $$$$$ and we get a mattress held in place with a bread tie. What a rip off!!! Don't stay here or you will be very disappointed!!!

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend this hotel at all!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Karen D
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

I am very sorry to hear that you had such a poor experience with us an I am truly disappointed that we didn’t have the opportunity to improve your experience during the time of your stay, as the comfort of our guests is our priority. We always accommodate and address any issue our guests might have during their stay, so I appreciate the fact that you brought your concerns to my attention. I must say the team at Hotel Union Square was so sorry to learn that you did not enjoy the room and your upgrade fee was refunded immediately after you communicated the issue involving the sofa bed.

Please contact me directly, so that I may have a chance of making you a fan of our hotels again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,870)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Service was exceptional we have a service dog traveling with us and they were non discriminatory and helpful. Also had early check in very convenient location for SF on foot (BART station very close) & walking distance to AT& T park . The only complaint we have is the VERY SQUEAKY BED not justified by the cost we paid for room.

Room Tip: even with construction across street still great views for people watching and great location to do...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was booked for me during a week when a rather large convention was taking place so the rate was well over $300 per night (which apparently was a good deal at the time). I'd recomend it at least once for a business traveler or couple on a leisure trip that wants to experience the heart of the downtown. It is definitely a bustling place that's worth experiencing (not a daily baisis however). I would discourage families from staying here and any other Union Square hotel just because there's a lot of stuff around there I wouldn't want kids to be exposed to (bums, solicitors, adult-themed signs, etc.). I wouldn't a recommend getting around with a car either. There are plenty of mass transit, cabs and shuttles to go around.

The building itself is an extremely tight and eclectic mix of old exterior with very modern interior rooms and fixtures. My room had no windows which left me without a view but also limited the street noise sufficiently for a good night slieep. The staff was pretty top notch with professional service and knowledge of the surrounding area. The evening wine reception, businesses centers, and WiFi were nice experiences for me too.

Overall, this hotel can be recommended for business and couples wanting to experience the heart of San Francisco. Budget travelers may want to stay outside the City and use mass transit for the experience without the City price.

Room Tip: Get room with no windows if you're a light sleeper. Research mass transit options and routes be...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights, its a great location for everything. Just around the corner macys and bloomingdales. The room was a tad small but had everything you could want. The check in was swift and easy they required a credit card to keep on file. The beds were comfy,spotlessly clean and the bed linen was stain free and changed once during the 3 nights we were there, so were the towels. there was an ipod docking station and a small hospitality tray. There is free coffee in reception during the morning and wine during the evening. There is a free in room safe. Room service is available by contacting the concierge who orders it from the restaurant next door. All in all, a good place to stay to be in the middle of the action.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Having read some of the bad reviews about this hotel I was a little apprehensive about our stay. However I was extremely pleased with the hotel Union Square for two reasons (1) it's excellent location and (2) it's unique style. Yes the rooms are a little on the small side when compared to suites in Las Vegas but people need to remember you are in a city centre so rooms are going to be smaller as space is at a premium. The reception, concierge and housekeeping were excellent and couldn't do enough for us. We were upgraded in terms of our room and were overlooking the courtyard area on the fifth floor as we asked for air conditioning (not all rooms have it) and I can honestly say it was lovely and quiet. All in all a great boutique hotel in a great location with great staff. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2012
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear valued Guest,

What a wonderful review and recommendation to receive! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Union Square and Iappreciate the kind words you shared about my staff and the service you received. I will be sure to share your note with everyone that you mentioned.
I look forward to welcoming you back again for another stay soon, and thank you for the nice review.

Tony Abboud
Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Had a brilliant stay in this hotel, room wasn't massive and we had no view by we were not in San Fran to look out of a window! Very centrally located, great bathroom and wardrobe and the staff were extremely helpful! Loved the free wine tasting and coffee. Nothing was too mich trouble for the staff and we were made very welcome! Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: September 2012