“Holiday”

Hotel Union Square
Ranked #92 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed September 19, 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Write a ReviewReviews (1,864)

Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Having read some of the bad reviews about this hotel I was a little apprehensive about our stay. However I was extremely pleased with the hotel Union Square for two reasons (1) it's excellent location and (2) it's unique style. Yes the rooms are a little on the small side when compared to suites in Las Vegas but people need to remember you are in a city centre so rooms are going to be smaller as space is at a premium. The reception, concierge and housekeeping were excellent and couldn't do enough for us. We were upgraded in terms of our room and were overlooking the courtyard area on the fifth floor as we asked for air conditioning (not all rooms have it) and I can honestly say it was lovely and quiet. All in all a great boutique hotel in a great location with great staff. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2012
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear valued Guest,

What a wonderful review and recommendation to receive! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Union Square and Iappreciate the kind words you shared about my staff and the service you received. I will be sure to share your note with everyone that you mentioned.
I look forward to welcoming you back again for another stay soon, and thank you for the nice review.

Tony Abboud
Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Had a brilliant stay in this hotel, room wasn't massive and we had no view by we were not in San Fran to look out of a window! Very centrally located, great bathroom and wardrobe and the staff were extremely helpful! Loved the free wine tasting and coffee. Nothing was too mich trouble for the staff and we were made very welcome! Would definitely stay again!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

when checking in we were given room 601 which faced Powell Street, we specifically asked the receptionist if this would be noisy and was assured that the Tram Cars stopped at midnight and it would be fine after this.......it was not, eventually at 3:40am after having no sleep due to the all night construction across the street I went to speak to the night porter, he said there was nothing they could do now, but if I came back at 7am they would try and find us a quieter room.
Not really the honeymoon night we were expecting
We were moved to 614 which overlooked a tiny internal courtyard, this turned out to be much quieter although there was a loud 'generator' noise that started at approx 7am and finished at midnight. Despite having specifically asked about the noise and the hotel knowing that the construction is an ongoing situation we were not offered any kind of apology!!!!!!
Both rooms were small and 601 had such a dark bathroom with the shower curtain closed it was really oppressive.
The free tea & coffee in the morning and wine in the later afternoon are a nice touch
You can't fault the location of this hotel, it is feet from the Powell Street Cable Car terminus, a 5 minute walk from Union Square, there are plenty of cheap eateries near by, highly recomend Lefty O'Douls and if you go to Market and turn left it's a flat 40 minute walk to the Ferry Building.
If you already have a booking for this hotel DO NOT accept a room at the front and if you're still deciding, decide on somewhere else until the construction is finished, there are a myriad of hotels in the same area.

Room Tip: under no circumstances take a room facing Powell
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in August. The hotel was very cute and had a nice ambiance. Free coffee in the lobby in the mornings, water throughout the day and wine hour around 5pm. The room was small but comfortable. The best part about this hotel is the central location: right in the heart of union square and steps away from the BART and cable cars. This is not the place to stay if you are looking for luxury but it’s definitely a good fit if you want convenience and comfort at an affordable price.

Room Tip: If you want a good night sleep, ask for a room that isn't facing the main street. It can be quit...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I'm writing this from bed, it's 3.50am. Are there no laws on noise pollution in this city? There's construction going on across the road which hasn't stopped since we got here. The constant banging sounds like it's coming from inside my head, despite wearing good earplugs. I know it's not the hotel's fault but it's pretty bad for business, I would never recommend this hotel. I've now been awake for an hour.........

• Stayed: September 2012
Tony A, Manager at Hotel Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

I sincerely regret that you had to put up with such loud noise from the construction site across the street, it has been very hard on us and it might please you to know that the job is done, and noise is over with. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that you experienced with your accommodation. We value your business and I would like the opportunity to have you back as my guest in the future.
Please feel free to contact me when you plan your next trip and I will personally take care of your accommodations.
Thank you again for your review and I hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Tony Abboud
Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Spent 10 days. Great value for the price (2700) with an extremely pleasant and helpful staff. Great location with always a clean room. Close to all the different modes of transportation in the area. It is a hotel where you can get a good night sleep and enjoy the morning coffee and evening wine. There is also a flat screen TV for the occasional viewing. My intent was to spend time out to see the city and not in a hotel room. Next time back I WILL STAY HERE.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple