“Fantastic Location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney
“Fantastic Location”
Reviewed September 23, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Triton for 3 nights with our baby and the location was absolutely perfect. Right in the heart of the shopping district, and a short walk to the Muni, GOMA, and all the downtown areas. There is also a great French restaurant and wine bar on either side of the hotel.

It's important to note that a "suite" does not have a separate living/bedroom area - it is just one room. I felt that the price for the room was too expensive for just one room (we booked an advance fare on the hotel website and it was in the high $200's - unlike the $50 that some lucky people have paid on Priceline!). The decor of the Wyland celebrity suite was definitely not to our taste, but the room was clean and comfortable.

For the location alone I would stay at the Hotel Triton again and book a standard room if I was travelling without my child.

• Liked — Location is phenomenal
  • Disliked — Suites do not have separate sleeping area
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank sbond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
London
Reviewed September 13, 2008

We got this hotel at the bargainous rate of $50 per night via Priceline and had a lovely stay. It was a really cool, fun hotel. The free cookies in the afternoon and free wine in the evenings were a big plus. We decided to extend our stay and stayed at a few other business hotels afterwards, as the Triton was full. They seemed a bit bland after this one!

Stayed June 2008
ShaBar1
Reviewed August 29, 2008

I loved staying at the Triton. I requested a quiet room away from the elevator and I got it. The staff were really helpful. The room was very clean. The bed was very comfortable. I loved it so much that I have already sent friends there and I am going to be staying there again on my next trip (next week).

The location is great. It felt safe coming 'home' at night. It's walkable distance from lots of really great shops and public transport.

• Liked — Originality and confort
  • Disliked — Noisy elevators
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed August 14, 2008

This was my third stay at the Hotel Triton in the last 6 or so years. As such, this review won’t be as detailed.

In sum, the Triton is a perfect location for exploring the city. It’s adjacent to Chinatown, a few short blocks to the square and shopping, and close to all sources of transportation to easily get elsewhere in the city.

Rooms are small but comfortable and more than adequate. Beds are fantastic! If noise is an issue, then request an inside room. The view is bland (faces an interior “courtyard”) but you’ll never hear a sound from the outside.

All in all, staff were very friendly and helpful—which has always been the norm for this and other Kimpton properties. I had one interaction, however, that was mind-blowingly rude. I had gone downstairs for the evening wine hour. Staff typically pour the beverages (and, in fact, make a point of doing so to prevent customer abuse of the goodies), so I approached the bar and waited for a staff member. She was chatting with friends nearby and looked at me no fewer than three times and looked away each time. Another staff member had been outside assisting another customer and ran to the bar the moment he saw me. He apologized for her not being at her post. I could care less if she was not at her post when I approached, but her rudeness in blatantly ignoring me was over the top. This behavior was well below the usual standards of Kimpton staff.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank Muriel12
Centennial, CO
Reviewed July 12, 2008

Nice boutique-type hotel across the street from Chinatown entry. Hotel was tastefully decorated . The room was small but adequate for our trip. The parking was $38.00/day! Hotel allows pets. For $80, I preferred staying at the Nob HIll Motor Inn which was more central and had FREE parking!

• Liked — Proximity to Chinatown
  • Disliked — No amenities
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chico, CA
Reviewed July 5, 2008

Sick of boring hotels and motels, we stayed in a large fancy hotel on Union Square the last time we visited San Francisco and although we enjoyed the ambience, we always wanted to give the unique boutique Hotel Triton a try. This time we did, via Expedia, and it was the best decision!
My teenage daughter and I stayed in a small double room on the 7th floor with a view of the street below. We loved the bright, fun, but tasteful decor, zany bed heads and furniture, light fixtures, and exhilarating bathroom with good powerful shower. Everything was spotlessly clean, and the two double beds with their luxurious pillows were the most comfortable hotel beds we've experienced in a hotel. The bathrobes were also a nice touch and although we didn't buy one, we were sorely tempted!
We liked being able to open the window to fresh outside air as well as having access to an air conditioner, and appreciated the obviously environmentally-friendly policies (recycling, "green" products, re-using towels if willing, etc.) the hotel follows. They even welcome pets! As we drove through the night and then spent the entire day walking our feet off in the city prior to checking in, the Triton provided just the comfort and fun atmosphere we craved. True bliss!
Crazy-bright decor and furniture in the lobby with complimentary wine in the late afternoon and good coffee in the morning, a bustling cafe next door and a Starbucks across the street, the entrance to Chinatown a few steps away, and helpful staff on reception at all hours made our stay most memorable.
The hotel also has a good location, within walking distance to many highlights, and close to public transportation. Usually we object to the high cost of valet parking in the city and choose to leave our car in the Union Square underground parking garage and walk to our hotel, but this time we made the right decision, leaving our car with the Hotel Triton valet staff. For only a couple of dollars more (plus tip which they deserved!), our car was whisked away, in an out privileges were available (not available at Union Square at the less expensive 24-hour rate), and they even let us park outside the hotel on the street for a little longer so we could walk to the Museum of Modern Art area where it's really hard to find parking. We really appreciated their concern and assistance.
My daughter also loved the Triton rubber ducks floating in the fountain at the entrance. Nice touch! We enjoyed sipping coffee in the lobby in the morning, watching people discovering the ducks with amusement as they walked by. Good photo opportunities!
We highly recommend the Hotel Triton, and will stay there again.
Tip: The cafe next door has great chocolate croissants, and the main street of Chinatown has endless eating opportunities.

• Liked — Comfort and zany atmosphere
  • Disliked — Can't come up with a thing!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ChicoRoo
Colorado
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I already liked Kimpton properties for their small, unique boutique approach to hotels. Every time I step into the room of one the major chains I feel like a little of my soul disappears. Hence, I'll take interesting personality over bland uniformity even if the former means the occasional surprise.

A surprise we were handed at the Triton recently when our stay was going dandy until our car was "trapped" by a broken door at the offsite garage the Triton uses for valet. But how the Triton staff did backflips to deal with situation was the real and rare delight. Our vacation didn't miss a beat as they found us cabs (and paid for them), comped meals and the valet charges. I imagine they could charge some of these expenses back to the garage, but even if they had to eat some they, in exchange, got a customer for life.

And one willing to write his 1st TripAdvisor review ever.

Even without the above incident-turned-delight, our stay at the Triton was terrific. Fun rooms, killer lobby, entertaining staff, nifty SF locale, fair price too. Plus, we love Kimpton's real deal sustainable business practices.

• Stayed May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ColoradoBeerfly
CreativeZone, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, June 11, 2008
Dear ColoradoBeerFly,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are not only pleased to have met your expectations but also provide you with a story to tell. Your understanding of the situation made our mission of taking care of you a team effort. We look forward to welcoming you back.

The Triton Staff