“FUNKY”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Honolulu, Hawaii
“FUNKY”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This well located hotel is Funky, I just call it Tacky!
The poorest choice in the Kimpton stable, at a very high price.
The staff was very nice an extremely helpful. Breakfast is coffee in a crowded lobby. Wine at 5 pm in the same funky and crowded lobby.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bob r
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Aloha bob r ~ Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear that we weren't the right fit for you. Should your plans ever bring you back to San Francisco please feel free to reach out to me. As a part of Kimpton Hotels, we have seven other properties in the city. I would be glad to help you find the one that is just right for you.
antonio.flores@hoteltriton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Hawaii
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding in the San Francisco area. We have been to this city many times and have stayed in all types of hotels, but we liked this one the best. First of all, there was a block of rooms reserved for the wedding. When I booked our room a month ago, there weren't any rooms left at the block rate, but I reserved a room anyway. 2 days before our departure, I received an email from the hotel that they changed my reservation and gave me the group rate-without me asking!! This was fantastic and saved me about $40/night. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and well maintained, although on the small side. Free wi-fi if you sign up for the loyalty program (which doesn't cost anything, so why wouldn't you?). Coffee in the morning, cookies at 3, wine tasting at 5, and free ice cream any time. As my son said, what isn't there to like? The staff was excellent and responded to the needs of everybody in the group, even giving us bottled water to take on the shuttle to the wedding. The location is good-union square right at the Chinatown gateway. We were able to get dimsum for breakfast one morning. Everything was walkable. The Bart station is several blocks away, but easy to get to, even with luggage.
We will definitely stay in this hotel again the next time we are in San Francisco.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BertHawaii
Hi BertHawaii ~ This review is AWESOME! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We agree with your son 100%! Thank you again and come back soon.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of my US holiday. Had already fallen in love with the place via their website photos, and in person it didn't disappoint! This hotel was my most expensive stay in the US, but I figured for my last 2 nights it was worth a splurge. Reviews on SF hotel rooms seemed to suggest the rooms were very small, but my rooom was perfect - spacious sleeping area AND bathroom; and plenty of hanging space in the cupboards. Loved the 5pm wine hour for guests - but would have really loved to have had local wines to try. Staff were friendly and helpful when I had a couple of questions on getting around to places via public transport. The hotel is over the road from the Chinatown dragon gate, so close to everywhere! Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank LT_Melb
Hi LT8668 ~ You're hired! Thanks for the awesome review. Don't stay gone for too long.
Till next time,
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Room very nice if a little small. Air conditioning inadequate. Breakfast facilities passable. Have to go to restaurant next door or have it delivered to room in a brown paper bag. breakfast was an apple,cereal bar and a muffin. Parking facilities in multi storey car park. Can be very noisy due to city centre location. Not really suitable for a family. No pool (apart from the one at the entrance for the rubber ducks)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sally57O
Hi Sally57O ~ Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Next time if you want to take a dip in the pool, let us know, we would be happy to help. King Triton's fountain is strictly reserved for ducks... :)
Till next time,
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay at the Triton. The location was ideal and enjoyed the wine hour. The staff were very attentive and were happy to help and advise about any aspect of our time in SF.
The free WiFi for Kimpton members was most welcome.
The Triton reflected how we found San Francisco and I would stay there again on our next visit

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Merrylea
Hello Merrylea ~ Thank you for the great review. I am so happy to hear that the Triton was a big part of your San Francisco adventure. Come back soon okay.
Till then,
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Super friendly check in for this corporate rate hotel which is part of the Kimpton group. The room I had was facing the street, but very quiet. Funky and fun decor, but super small group, but I don't take it as a negative as there was everything I needed as a business traveller.

Many extra points for LOTS of plug ins by the bed and desk - which was the most I had ever seen at a hotel -- Perfect.

Credit for mini bar after joining the Kimpton plan - as well as superb service in delivering something back that I had left -- this is a superb in-town hotel in one of the best cities in the world.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mcclungp
UK
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at the beginning of August. Rooms are small by American standards but perfectly adequate for a few nights. The décor was quirky and you certainly know you are not in a chain hotel. This was our first visit to San Francisco so it was nice to be in central location. China town gate is next to the hotel and you are a couple of blocks from Union square. There are bus and street car stops near by but the public transport can be busy, so we did a fair amount of walking. You are about 10 minutes walk from the Ferry building on the bay, it is also fairly flat (not sure I could have walked some of the San Francisco Hills).

What really separates this hotel is the front desk service. We spoke to 3 different people on different occasions, all of whom were enthusiastic, knowledgeable and really took the time to help and offer advice. As this was our first trip we needed directions, restaurant and transport advice. They all helped make our stay stress free and enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple