“Good Hotel, Better service”
Review of Hotel Triton

Hotel Triton
Ranked #68 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at the beginning of August. Rooms are small by American standards but perfectly adequate for a few nights. The décor was quirky and you certainly know you are not in a chain hotel. This was our first visit to San Francisco so it was nice to be in central location. China town gate is next to the hotel and you are a couple of blocks from Union square. There are bus and street car stops near by but the public transport can be busy, so we did a fair amount of walking. You are about 10 minutes walk from the Ferry building on the bay, it is also fairly flat (not sure I could have walked some of the San Francisco Hills).

What really separates this hotel is the front desk service. We spoke to 3 different people on different occasions, all of whom were enthusiastic, knowledgeable and really took the time to help and offer advice. As this was our first trip we needed directions, restaurant and transport advice. They all helped make our stay stress free and enjoyable.

1  Thank Trickyonmars
Write a ReviewReviews (1,928)

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Triton is in a good location, not far from the main shopping area and Chinatown.
Triton had neglected to put me in a room next to my Dad, which had been requested. My room was well stocked, with a lovely bathroom, a good size, comfortable bed and free wifi and breakfast.
Yes breakfast- this consisted of an apple or an orange in a paper bag and a cereal bar and was a complete waste of time. Big let down for me.
My room was also very noisy- there was a football match on and all the card were beeping way into the early hours- I spoke to the hotel, they agreed it was noisy but the hotel was full. They got someone to fix it the next day.
I wasn't happy that I wasn't in the next room to my Father and with the noise and they agreed to refund one nights stay with very little persuasion.
I found the reception staff hit and miss- some were excellent and others downright awful. But the overall manager was excellent and I do hope to be back and I would stop here again and get breakfast next door!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank wolvesgal
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Only stayed here for one night but it was perfectly ample for a short stay. As it was our anniversary and a birthday during our trip they upgraded us to the next room grade and gave us a bottle of champagne which was a nice and unexpected gesture.

The room was pretty funky but definitely on the small size. I am not sure what our original choice would have been like. For one night, it was just fine but for a longer stay it would have been too small for us. The sink in the room didn't bother us too much, again as it was just one night so no dramas. The bed was great and I liked the bright decor. We were on the 7th floor and didn't hear any noise whatsoever.

No breakfast for us, not even a paper bag with an apple and orange juice so not sure why this was different for us. We had booked through their website and hadn't even seen an option for this. Room service breakfast was available from 7.30am from the place next door but when I called they told me they weren't open until 8am then promptly hung up.

The service at reception was friendly and welcoming and it is in a great location. As we were only in San Francisco for a short time we decided to do the hop on/hop off bus and it stops right outside the front of the hotel.

All in all would stay here again if it were for a short trip.

1  Thank Naomi K
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We chose the Triton because of TA comments and recommendations and we were (family of 4) travelling around USA (Vegas/LA/Palm Springs/New York/San Fran) and wanted somewhere funky to spend my husbands 50th Birthday and our 20th Wedding Anniversary. We stayed in 'posher' hotels elsewhere (Bellagio/Bev Hilton) but can honestly say this Hotel surpassed them with their attention to detail. Champagne chilling on arrival, balloons for Hubbys birthday, sweets and cupcakes for kids. They gave us 2 fab funky rooms to spread out in and then when asked to borrow a CD player to play special CD for my husband the Manager went out and bought one for us to use!!! Complimentary wine for adults and cookies for kids every day, nice touch. Staff so accommodating and helpful just want to say Thanks for a truly memorable stay, keep it up Triton we really did leave our heart in San Fran and in this Hotel! Parking expensive but it is city centre and really great location, we loved it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jayne018
Reviewed August 27, 2013

San francisco is the end of your 3 weeks journey thru western USA, including large cities like Vegas, Phoenix, San Diego, Los Angeles.
We chose Triton hotel for its location and the global tripadvisor rating (4/5), which undoubtedly was a mistake :
- personel was arrogant
- room was tiny (to say it nicely), bathroom smallest than a normal restroom, sink in the room
- very noisy (in general, furnitures and windows are very old, electric cables are visible)
- room smelled pretty bad
- no breakfast room, instead they bring you a paper bag with an apple, a nutrition cereal bar and an orange juice... 1h later than scheduled when registering
- valet parking is very expensive ($40 per night)

As a conclusion, its location is probably the only quality of this hotel, but is it worth ?
For the first time in 20 years of worldwide travelling we checked out 1 day earlier just to leave this miserable place (by the way, the desk did not ask us the reason why...).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gm-lm77
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear gm-lm77 ~ I am so sorry to hear about your experience. It sounds like we missed the mark for you and your family. I hope this will not keep you from thinking of Kimpton Hotels in the future. We have eight hotels in the city so there are plenty of options that might be a better fit. It would be my pleasure to help you discover the right one for you.

Antonio Flores
antonio.flores@hoteltriton.com

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Very friendly, casual & professional staff. Rooms smaller than imagined but still very comfortable, the wash hand basin & mirrors were part of the main room just behind the door as you entered the room. The bathroom consisted of bath/shower & toilet only.
Although our room was directly on the corner of Grant / Bush we hardly heard any traffic that we considered loud or disturbing.
Hotel ideally situated for Chinatown, the Chinatown gates are literally right across the road.
Also Ideally placed for Union Square shops and area (5 mins walk away) where you can also catch a cable car to Fishermans Wharf.
The hotel is well placed for all the open top & tourists busses as a stop is right outside the hotel front door.
Nice little event every evening where they hold a free wine gathering in the foyer where you get to meet other guests and have a chit chat.
We mainly ate at a small irish bar directly behind the hotel, great food & drink (have reviewed that seperately).
Overall a lovely hotel that I would definately return to.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GarethB1971
Reviewed August 26, 2013

the hotel is in a great area. rooms are quite small but livable. sink is outside of the tub and toilet area. a bit noisy if you need to dry your hair and your significant other is still trying to sleep. small closest and two very small drawers. our room on the 3rd floor was very clean but smelled like mothballs. there is nowhere to hang a towel except some pegs by the bed.. nightly wine is served, it's free and that is the best thing about it. coffee and tea in the morning with a newspaper is a plus. there is a starbucks across the street for breakfast . they also have a restaurant next store but last time I ate there I was not too impressed but its was always crowded and you can sit outside and people watch which is fun.the room on the 3rd floor was quite noisy so ask for an upper floor. I did hear the front desk tell a patron that they were lucky to be on a higher floor with less noise. I think the Monaco has nicer decor but the Triton is clean and convenient to many things..I really like the Kimpton brand but this hotel was just average..

Room Tip: beg for the highest floor!