“Great Location, Small Rooms”
Review of Hotel Triton

Hotel Triton
Ranked #69 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 26, 2012

If your goal is to be in the center of things (SFMOMA, Asian Art Museum, Union Sq, chinatown, shopping, etc) then this is a great hotel to be in and you can walk everywhere. However, the rooms are smaller than what you might hope for. The hotel staff was so nice that they upgraded us to a larger room upon check in (we did not ask for this service). There were two of us and we each got a separate bed. I was worried about noise from the street-- you could hear the cable car or some kind of tour routinely but I slept easily and deeply. The sink was in the entry way. The bathroom had a bath and shower and the toilet. There was a closet to hang things but no chest of drawers. Luckily we did not have too much luggage because I have no idea where we could have put it. In between our beds there were a series of hooks in the walls which I thought was odd but i did end up hanging things that wouldn't fit in the closet on these hooks. In the sink area there was no place to hang your handtowel so we ended up just stacking it on the mirrored surface. My cousin hung her towel from the bedroom hook. I really liked the evening wine hour/hot toddy time. Breakfast time there was complimentary tea, coffee and hot cocoa. Also, try Cafe de la Presse the French restaurant next door for lunch or dinner.

Room Tip: We stayed on Grant Avenue side and it was not too noisy. If you are a light sleeper you may want to...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank pandasnack
Write a ReviewReviews (1,968)

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I loved staying there. I was very comfortable, and I had a desk in my room for working as well. I don't think I'd want to stay anywhere else in my next visit to SF.

The location is also great (right next to Chinatown and Union Square).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Hi Lir0n ~ thanks for the awesome email ~ we don't want you to stay anywhere else either!

Till next time,
antonio.flores@hoteltriton.com

Reviewed December 17, 2012

The location couldn't be better for shopping and the holiday time. Walking distance to Union Square. Walk from the BART to here about 10 minutes. Perfect for the traveler with no car. Staff was super friendly, Kimpton perks always awesome: wine hour from 5-6, free WiFi as a Kimpton member, dog friendly, fresh baked cookies at check in, C&O Bigelow toiletries (no shower gel, just soap). The hotel is tastefully decorated and impressive; but its appearance feels well used for the rooms. It also didn't help that while at cocktail hour in the lobby, I overheard a group of co-workers listening to how two of their co-workers were able to get out of the hotel earlier than expected to check in at another hotel. I couldn't hear details, just that they thought the hotel wasn't very impressive.

I enjoy the Kimpton brand and how they treat their guests. I received the best treatment and service. I recommend a facelift. I likely will look to stay in other places on my next SF visit

Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

We LOVE this hotel. The staff (Tawny and Evan) are absolutely fabulous. We stayed at this hotel in August and came back to say hello to Tawny. She is so sweet and thoughtful. Our daughters love her and call her the Haagen-Dazs lady. She gave the girls Haagen-Dazs and rubber duckies, which made their day. The staff really go out of their way to make you feel welcomed. We highly recommend this hotel and will definatley stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I would not think of staying elsewhere. Great vibe emanating from great people who really make you feel special. Spirit is alive here! The entire staff make you feel as if you are part of one big family/ Even the service staff is very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet location
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Hi ronald s ~ Thanks for the awesome review! We're happy to be your home away from home anytime.

Till then,
antonio.flores@hoteltriton.com

Reviewed December 11, 2012

It was.fun for a night. Service was outstanding, over the top great. We were celebrating our anniversary, and they had chocolates, champagne, and a signed card from all the hotel staff.
My wife forgot her contacts solution, they brought her a complimentary bottle.
Hotel is fun, but rooms are small, and bathroom sink area is small (my wife likes a large sink area).
My only complaint would.be it kind.of.has the stereo typical San Francisco Gay vibe they always show in.movies. I don't know quite how to describe it. There is no coffee in the room but Starbucks is across the street, and a cafe next door.
Over all great stay for a night, very close to Union Square (2 1/2 blocks) and right next to China town and the financial district. But I don't think I.d stay here again if I'd chosen mu hotel by name instead of through hotwire.
Also, it was nice that they had a wine happy hour, where they served wine and other beverages, and had a Taro Card reader-(that's the kind of stuff I didn't like)
It just kind of had a weird vibe to the place. But again, staff was outrageously nice, they held all our bags for us the whole day after we checked out so we could shop in Union Square. If I got this hotel again as a surprise through hotwire or Priceline I'd still go, but wouldn't choose it by choice.
Also, we were upgraded because of our special occasion, so again, Bravo to the staff. Its just a little too "Fabulous" for me. :)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Pros-
Cool and fun designs in the lobby + nice fireplace for the cool weather
Nice and helpful front desk folks
Evening reception with nice wines and warm apple cider + bourbon!
Location: right next to entrance of chinatown, super close to union square but not right in the middle of the chaos, several nice restaurants and shops on the block
They were kind enough to upgrade our room and give us a bottle of champagne + card for our anniversary :)

Cons-
As other reviewers have said, the rooms are a little on the dreary side. Not sure why, b/c there are interesting decorations n such. It must be the green walls or smthg.
Bed was too hard for me. I'm a soft mattress person and the room mattress was too hard.
I definitely wouldn't recommend staying in anything smaller than a king room if you are two people, it will be waaayyy too small for you guys. Just keep in mind...double and queen rooms for single person only, king and suites better for couples and more.

Overall, we really liked staying in Hotel Triton. It's not as luxurious as some of the other hotels we saw but it was just right, esp. for not spending that much time in the room. If you can overlook a couple small things, I think this place has everything you need plus little things here and there to make your time in San Francisco more enjoyable.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, let the front desk ppl know when assigning you a room. We were given a c...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank krise333
Triton415, General Manager at Hotel Triton, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Hi krisell333 ~ thanks for posting your review. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. What we love most about the hotel is exactly what you shared. COOL & FUNKY! We hope you come back and stay with us again soon.

Till then,