“Good location, free parking, but watch out for group bookings & next-door pre-school”

Travelodge at the Presidio San Francisco
Ranked #59 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Sonoma County
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Good value for a last-minute booking to take grandson to Golden Gate Park museums. Location near Marina/Presidio is nice. Quiet back street. But checked in same night as group of motorcycle riders who used the parking lot to party. All quiet by bedtime but made for a noisy evening -- we left to escape. Don't underestimate the value of the free pkg --it's a huge asset in SF. Rooms are somewhat dated but clean w. good beds & vary: ours was cramped & dark, our daughter-in-law's was light & spacious. Same price. Front desk staff friendly & helpful. Good restaurants to walk to: Baker Street Bistro around the corner exc! As is A16 on Chestnut Street. Either plan to rise early or to enjoy the sounds of children playing: pre-school next door lets kids out to play about 8:30.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Victoria098
TLPresidio, General Manager at Travelodge at the Presidio San Francisco, responded to this review, August 11, 2010
Thank you so much for posting a review of our hotel. Many large San Francisco events happen in close proximity to us. I apologize for the noisy experience. The group of motorcyclists were here to work the San Francisco Marathon. They stay here every year to help guide the participants through the marathon while blocking traffic. When at a hotel I understand the need for a quiet night sleep and we do all we can to assist. The president of their group is always willing to work with us and I will discuss options for their next marathon visit. Thank you for pointing out the preschool next door. We do have a facility next door which can be a bit noisy at times. We as well have a working relationship with them and are happy to venture next door to quiet the group down in the early AM. The staff appreciates the compliments and love helping folks plan their days. We encourage all guests to take a business card and call for information while out exploring. We hope you give us another chance when visiting San Francisco.

-Tyler Shanahan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Korean first
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I stayed for one night on rewards points with some hesitation over the location. I had chosen the hotel owing to the excellent reviews on tripadvisor. I was in town to see Paul McCartney and to go to Yosemite National Park (which they had good advice about). The location was not a problem at all, as long as you are willing to take a bus, most of which are just around the corner of the hotel. Also, it is in a nice quiet location so it is nice to retire to a quiet room at night. The staff is unbelievably helpful, all of whom went above and beyond the call of duty. The gave me a card and told me I could call at any time I needed any advice/help. They also sell MUNI passes which is very convenient for unlimited bus/streetcar travel. I would definitely say this place is a hidden gem if you are looking to save a few dollars (even though I used points, rates seemed cheap), get a clean/quiet room (there was new bedding in ours) and are willing to spend a very short amount of time taking public transit. You can tell just by looking at the hotel website or how they respond to most tripadvisor comments that you are going to get a well looked after hotel. Don't be worried by the Travelodge association if you have had bad experience in the past.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
I hope you had fun at Paul McCartney concert. I heard it was a fabulous show. Thank you for writing a review. Hearing positive feedback encourages the staff to strive for more reviews. Our hotel has a great location near Fisherman's Wharf, the Golden Gate Bridge, and our proximity to bus lines is very helpful in getting around town. We did just start selling San Francisco MUNI passes at our hotel, thank you for pointing this out. This added convenience saves people time and money if only visiting the city for a few days. We appreciate your review and look forward to your next trip to SF.

Antioch, California
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Front desk is very friendly and accomidating. They were great in getting a cab "On time" very early in the morning. Quick, easy and great service.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
TLPresidio, General Manager at Travelodge at the Presidio San Francisco, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
We are fortunate to have a Yellow Cab station not too far from our hotel. Unless it is a rainy day cabs can reach are property very quickly. Thank you for your review, we are happy to be of service.

visalia
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Raymond was most helpful! Great location for the Presido area and the golden gate bridge. The value was great, the room was claen. Safe place to park and see SF.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
TLPresidio, General Manager at Travelodge at the Presidio San Francisco, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
We appreciate every single review we get and thank you for taking the time to leave one for our hotel. Raymond as an all-star here, supported by an outstanding team. We hope to see you again during your next visit.

San Diego, California
Reviewed July 17, 2010

I came to the Travelodge with not much to expect, except it was a "Travelodge"...however I was INCORRECT. This is a FABULOUS Travelodge. Not just the staff, the location but the ROOMS! They are all upgraded, have flat screen tv's. FREE BREAKFAST! Who does that now-a-days? FREE...something for FREE in this world...AND PARKING...FREEEEE..IN SAN FRAN...go stay at another hotel and you will pay at the LEAST $25 a NIGHT for parking.

The staff is absolutely FANTASTIC! Raymond at the front desk, took time to xerox maps from the map book, highlight the areas I was going to be driving AS WELL as printing out the directions from mapquest, or whatever they have on their front desk computers. I was scared to drive in the city b/c of the one way streets, hills, trolleys etc. He directed me in the most simple possible way to get to my destination. Tyler the morning person (at the front desk), was soo kind to me when I called and had several questions as to where the hotel was in radius of other places, parking questions, food/restaurant advice etc...They are both great!

Have to say...IF you don't want to be in the crowded city but close enough for a $10 cab ride...STAY HERE..it's quiet, convieniantly located...JUST PERFECT!

Thank you Travelodge for a great visit!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Danielle S
Wow, thank you so much for this awesome review! We are so happy to make positive impressions on our guests and when we see such a review online we get excited. I am glad Ray and I were so helpful in navigating you around the city. Those new LCD TVs are a great addition to our hotel. If you are ever back in the city, even if you're not staying here, please, call us for help.

Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I have stayed here for business twice and have not been disappointed. It is right next to the Lombard gate of the Presidio and very close to the Marina, Ft. Mason, Palace of Governors/Exploratorium, Disney Family Museum and all the other cool stuff at the Presidio. There are great restaurants, reasonably priced that you can walk to for meals. Richard was especially helpful the last time I stayed. The staff is always courteous and helpful. The motel is NON-SMOKING, all rooms, and they smell fresh. A lot of other places in this price-range say you're getting non-smoking when you actually end up with smoking.

I have not stayed here with my family but I would if necessary given the cleanliness and value.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank GYG-2010
This is Richard's first review! We were all so excited to see him mentioned; thank you for posting your feedback. I am glad we are able to accommodate you while you were working in the local area. Thank you for pointing out the non-smoking policy. Our hotel is 100% non-smoking and for those folks who choose to smoke we add $200 to the nightly rate. It usually does dissuade people! Yes, please bring your family the next time you are vacationing in San Francisco, we would be happy host them.

upstate NY
Reviewed July 2, 2010

My mother had booked this hotel for our stay in San Francisco and I was a little sceptical at first being a Travelodge. However, the staff was great, very friendly and helpfull for us. The manager made sure to get us all the applicable discounts on the room even rechecking and crediting a discount that the checkin person had missed. There is free wi-fi in all the rooms and there is a business center in the loby where you can use their computer and even print things. I needed to print my vouchers for our Alcatraz tour and the manager even helped recommend the best company to buy from to get the best deal.
The location of this hotel couldn't be more perfect. You are right off of lombard st which is a busy street so being 1 block up from the traffic made the hotel very quiet, we just heard the occasional bus go by but it wasn't bad at all. The hotel doesn't have a huge parking lot but their spaces are free if you're staying at the hotel. This didn't matter too much because you're so close to restaurants and shops that if you don't mind walking a couple blocks there's no reason to drive. Plus in the Marina district, if you drive and try to find a parking space near your restaurant you'll probably end up parking a few blocks from your destination anyways so parking at the hotel and walking is the best bet. You're close to the Marina Green, the Exploratorium and many muni stops.

The rooms must have been updated recently and were very nice. Exceeded my expectations for a Travelodge.

All in all a great stay. I would deffinetly book this hotel again or recommend.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trvlexprt097
TLPresidio, General Manager at Travelodge at the Presidio San Francisco, responded to this review, July 7, 2010
Hello! Thank you for posting a review; we were happy helping you during your trip to SF. Thanks for pointing out all the amenities we have at the hotel...we just got new Flat panel LCD TVs (7/2/2010) in every room too. If you plan another trip to SF please note that the first Tuesday of every month is free day at: De Young, Legion of Honor, MOMA, and Yerba Buena Gardens. The first Wednesday of every month is free day at: Cable Car Muesum and the Exploratorium. Thank you for you candid feedback and we hope to see you again.