“I still can't believe we stayed here...”
Review of Civic Center Inn

Civic Center Inn
Ranked #216 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
“I still can't believe we stayed here...”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We checked in. Homeless people and prostitutes everywhere. When my gf went to have a cig, a maid dumped a bucket of dirty mop water on her, then just walked away. I watched multiple homeless people urinate and defecate in the street behind. Was offered crystal meth one night by a colorful gentleman who tried to follow me to my room. Watched 2 prostitutes beat each other up, then get slapped by their pimp. Management was not helpful, and at times there wasn't anyone who spoke English in the staff. All in all, I would high advise you to stay somewhere, anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Kneeland0311

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Motel is in average condition, I saw better, but I saw also worse. It is quite affordable, but for sure is placed in a perfect place. you can go everywhere in SanFran without taking taxis or public transportation. OK, to visit GoldenGate is better have some transport.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

2 Thank Krzysztof O
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I needed a cheap place to stay. I tried to check in early, but they wouldn't let me. I should have begged to get out of my reservation, as I left after an hour once checked in. I suppose if I weren't a single woman, I might have been OK. Aside from the overwhelming smell of bleach, and the street noise, I guess I could have toughed it out, but I decided to bail and find a motel 6. Probably won't get a refund, but at least I feel safe.

Room Tip: another hotel. Although it seemed the other questionable travelers preferred the first floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank 975celiag

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Good service, clean, and good location. The Hotel is next to the center, but the only negative point is not located in the best area of the city: lot of persons are sleeping in the streets around, and you may not feel secure if you are staying alone in the hotel. Otherwise, we didn't have any problems during our stay (3 days).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I booked this motel for four nights as part of a roadtrip with friends. San Francisco seemed more expensive than other places we had stayed so when we found this room for $418 for four nights it seemed like a bargain. Wrong!!

We parked up and started to get our stuff out the car, whilst being watched by two men smoking marajwana outof there room. We checked in with a reasonably helpful womam at the desk. As we walked to our room we were met with a stench or urine and weed.

The room its self was grim! Stained bedding and towels, graffiti on the headboards and the shower didn't look like it had been washed yet this year. We could hear sirens every few minutes and people shouting up and down the corridors.

On the way back from a food run we saw rats by our room.

It was sleepless night listening to the ramblings of the group of homeless men outside our room, the drug deals and the man wih his prostitute in the next room (the walls are very thin... very)!

We woke up to a hysterical woman shouting 'gt away from my property, get away from my car, I'm calling the cops'.
We got out of there early next morning, and were lucky to get a refund for the 3 nights we were cancelling. The womam on the desk then was very rude and unwilling.

we went and checked in to the holiday inn fisherman's warf for $700, worth every penny!

We felt genuinely afraid and vulnerable.

reading other reviews now it sounds like we were lucky that our experience was only as bad as it was.

I cannot express enough - DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Eitak86
Reviewed January 3, 2014

rooms should be in slums, not in san fran. nothing worked in any of the rooms. when in lobby everyone who checked in had a complaint. excessive noise
and undesirable staying there. the roomes had no place to hang your clothes and the towels like dish towels

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple