“Just don't”

Civic Center Inn
Ranked #215 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
“Just don't”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I needed a cheap place to stay. I tried to check in early, but they wouldn't let me. I should have begged to get out of my reservation, as I left after an hour once checked in. I suppose if I weren't a single woman, I might have been OK. Aside from the overwhelming smell of bleach, and the street noise, I guess I could have toughed it out, but I decided to bail and find a motel 6. Probably won't get a refund, but at least I feel safe.

Room Tip: another hotel. Although it seemed the other questionable travelers preferred the first floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank 975celiag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Good service, clean, and good location. The Hotel is next to the center, but the only negative point is not located in the best area of the city: lot of persons are sleeping in the streets around, and you may not feel secure if you are staying alone in the hotel. Otherwise, we didn't have any problems during our stay (3 days).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I booked this motel for four nights as part of a roadtrip with friends. San Francisco seemed more expensive than other places we had stayed so when we found this room for $418 for four nights it seemed like a bargain. Wrong!!

We parked up and started to get our stuff out the car, whilst being watched by two men smoking marajwana outof there room. We checked in with a reasonably helpful womam at the desk. As we walked to our room we were met with a stench or urine and weed.

The room its self was grim! Stained bedding and towels, graffiti on the headboards and the shower didn't look like it had been washed yet this year. We could hear sirens every few minutes and people shouting up and down the corridors.

On the way back from a food run we saw rats by our room.

It was sleepless night listening to the ramblings of the group of homeless men outside our room, the drug deals and the man wih his prostitute in the next room (the walls are very thin... very)!

We woke up to a hysterical woman shouting 'gt away from my property, get away from my car, I'm calling the cops'.
We got out of there early next morning, and were lucky to get a refund for the 3 nights we were cancelling. The womam on the desk then was very rude and unwilling.

we went and checked in to the holiday inn fisherman's warf for $700, worth every penny!

We felt genuinely afraid and vulnerable.

reading other reviews now it sounds like we were lucky that our experience was only as bad as it was.

I cannot express enough - DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Eitak86

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

San Francisco
Reviewed January 3, 2014

rooms should be in slums, not in san fran. nothing worked in any of the rooms. when in lobby everyone who checked in had a complaint. excessive noise
and undesirable staying there. the roomes had no place to hang your clothes and the towels like dish towels

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Mark S
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Ok so we road tripped from Las Vegas to LA then finally to San Francisco and didn't book our hotel prior to the road trip. BIG MISTAKE.

We stopped off at a service station to connect to the WIFI and book a last minute hotel on the internet. We stumbled across the Civic Center Inn and saw (or rather thought) that the location wasn't too bad and the price was within our budget (around $55-60 per night)

When we arrived at the hotel around 8pm there was NO parking spaces available. We parked on the road. When going in to the hotel 'lobby' an old Chinese man greeted us and let us in, he was polite. The shabby looking young foreign guy behind the desk was of no help. He had holes in his jumper and a bad attitude.

We rented a car to drive to San Fran and when we asked if the car would be safe the answer we got back we dreaded. We were so tired that we went to sleep trying not to touch the musky sheets and woke up to find the car intact. Surprisingly. We checked in on a Saturday, a night for gangs to hang about hotel car parks and stair cases making you feel scared and uncomfortable. The noise outside from the gang members was extremely loud and didn't stop until gone 2am. The shower was dirty so I'm glad we only stayed two nights, I couldn't wait to check out.

If you go to San Francisco, do yourself a favour and have the best time that you possibly can and book a hotel down by the bay. The prices are not too expensive and trust me, you will have a better sleep in a better environment and you won't be afraid to get a shower!!!

Save yourself disappointment and book elsewhere.

Room Tip: No rooms are good enough.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple