So, we stayed at the Wharf Inn from October 1st to October 5th. It was a very nice and interesting experience. Though the hotel was basic, it was clean and comfortable and the staff was exceptionally friendly.
When we got to our room, we ended up having some questions about the facility itself. I work in the Hotel industry in Ohio and I was curious. The people at the desk were happy to answer any questions that I had. 1. We had a small dog. We noticed that there wasn't any place for the dog to go and I believe that someone on here mentioned that.
It turns out that the pet policy is a brand new thing that started within the last couple of years and until then it has never been a pet friendly hotel.
The free parking was amazing but we were curious to know why there was no breakfast and only coffee. Being in the industry myself I figured that it had something to do with overhead costs and having to charge for parking or other things. I was right. How do I know? I asked!! people don't ask these things any more. I was told that there was no space for breakfast which is true as the lobby is very small, and I was also told that the overhead cost was pretty high and that they would have to charge for parking if we had breakfast. I am totally okay with that. I am not a complainer as some people seem to be.
The 2nd night, we realized there was no A/C. it was a little warm but we figured that it was San Francisco and in an older building it probably wasn't installed. We asked about that too. San Francisco isn't warm most of the year anyway. the only night we really could have used it was the night of the 2nd, but the 3rd night we were freezing and the staff happily obliged and gave us heat! Yay for heat!
The only downside was the noise on the street. This is nothing that the hotel can help. San Francisco is a noisy city all night long. We go every year so we know this. This however was the first time we stayed at the wharf Inn. And we will stay there from here on out
It was very tough to get a reservation at first because we didn't realize that the days that we were booking were still in peak season and we had been trying to get a room since August. We finally got in!! Even when we were there they were sold out every night. To avoid booking problems for next time we went ahead and booked out dates for next year. We were told to book in advance if we want to come June-October anyway. I can see why.
So to sum it all up. We loved it. It is basic and absolutely no frills. But they have free wifi and free parking. If you're they type that needs pampered and have everything brought to you, then don't stay at the Wharf Inn. If you're the type like we are where we just sleep and shower and kick back and enjoy the view of the crazies on the street. Then this is perfect place for you!!!
P.S. The only views they really have are of the 7 eleven across the street. Not much of an ocean view but that's okay. Nor do they have fridges or Microwaves, but were more than willign to heat up the baby's formula
We will stay here again! and wil recommend it to anyone!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wharf Inn is an independent 51 room hotel with 50 guest rooms and 1 Penthouse Suite built in 1959 located in the heart of Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco's most tourist-friendly neighborhood. We are steps away from Pier 39, cable car terminals and Alcatraz boats. Walk to world-famous restaurants, browse through colorful shops at historic Ghirardelli Square and the Cannery, ride cable cars and street cars to North Beach, Chinatown, and the Union Square shopping district. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Wharf Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Wharf Hotel San Francisco
- Wharf Hotel San Francisco
- Wharf Inn San Francisco