“we like the St Francis”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dublin, Ireland
“we like the St Francis”
Reviewed June 18, 2007

This is a lovely hotel with a sense ot charm and history. However it is a bit dated in places, (corridors and rooms), however it is really in a great location, right overlooking Union Square, right in the midst of it all, and close to shops, restaurants etc. we were on our honey moon so they gave us a special room which was really quite big and nicely furnished. the champagne mojitos in the bar were pretty excellent too.

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank Binkette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,328)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed June 7, 2007

We just returned from SF. Overall, I'd say it was a great hotel and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone. The people were friendly and professional. The signature Westin heavenly beds were fabulous. A good night's sleep shouldn't be taken for granted especially when you're on vacation. The double shower head is a great feature that I haven't seen or experienced at any other hotel.

After reading the previous reviews, I now understand why the comments were so varied. I'd like like to clarify a few things.

1) The Westin St. Francis is essentially two hotels in one. Even the elevator banks are on separate sides of the Lobby. The historic building (facing Powell St.) has it's original layout and it's decor is traditional. The new tower that was added in 1972 is totally modern. Especially the elevators, which are high speed and are on the outside of the building. The furnishings and room proportions are also modern.
Coming from NYC, we loved the architectural design of the older building. The lobby was gorgeous with it's intricate floral woodwork in its high ceilings. It also has the signature details of a pre-war building, with high ceilings, crown moulding and wide hallways.

2) I'd like to remind everyone of the old adage - you get what you pay for. In the Westin St. Francis, there are several different levels of rooms ranging from Standard to Ultra-Deluxe. If you're booking the room through priceline, expedia, etc..., don't expect a fabulously large room with a view! We booked our room through Expedia so we were given a standard room in the historic building. However, they did offer us the option to upgrade to a larger room for $35 and/or a room with a view also for $35. We declined since we were not going to be in our room most of the time.

3) Location, location, location. It doesn't get any more convenient than this. We had every mode of transportation available to us. The cable car literally ran right in front of the hotel. We took the BART from the airport. We also rented a car for a day from Hertz a block away. Everything we needed was within walking distance.

Now the cons.
Very recently I stayed at the Westin Cancun and I can understand how people feel when they say the Westin St. Francis looks somewhat worn and in need of a renovation. I am speaking only of the standard rooms in the original historic main building and not of the rooms in the new tower. The room was clean and tidy but the furniture was looking as though it had seen better days.

Also a bit of advice, don't move anything in or out of their mini bar to put in your own drinks or food because you will be charged regardless if you put it back later or if you just moved it elsewhere in the fridge. We discovered this the hard way. Since we did an express check out, we weren't aware they charged us for something we didn't drink. My husband moved a beer in order to put in some leftovers. We noticed it on our bill after we were back in NY.

Don't park your car here. It's up to $49 plus tax/night. That's why we rented a car for a day and returned it on the same day. If you must drive, consider parking it in the municipal lots a few blocks away.

The Westin St. Francis lives up to the Westin reputation and it lived up to our expectations. If we return to SF, we'd definitely chose the Westin St. Francis again.

• Liked — Westin Heavenly Bed
  • Disliked — Room didn't have a view
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank newyorker07
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed June 6, 2007

I stayed here at the end of March 07 for a bridal shower. I'm an SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) member so booked through their website. I indicated that two of my friends had never been to San Francisco and asked if we could have a room with a view. When we checked in, we got just that! We were on the 27th floor with a full view of San Francisco facing out toward the Golden Gate Bridge. It was incredible. About the room - There were 3 of us girls in one room and we had plenty of space for all of our luggage and purchases. The bathroom was also a decent size but only large enough for two of us to be getting ready in there at once... There was a desk in the room and full closets. The beds were incredibly comfortable. The room was perfect for folks who want to see SF and aren't planning on just hanging around the room. The overall location of the hotel was also great! Tons and tons of shopping and restaurants in vicinity of Union Square. Some downsides of the hotel: The internet was shockingly expensive. Also, when I checked in (at approx 2PM) there was only 1 concierge working. By the time I got to the desk, there were at least 5 people waiting in line behind me. The overall feel of the hotel was rather "classic." That is, maybe for an older generation. It wasn't a "hip" place to hang out... "Fancy" might be the best word. If your parents want to go to San Francisco, I would recomennd this place. If you're looking for a cool hotel with a modern atmosphere, I'd look to some of the other hotels on the square...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Outrageous internet rates
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravelDealer
Orange County, CA
Reviewed June 4, 2007

Booked on Hotwire for $129/night for a Fri/Sat night stay. I was a little concerned because there was no way I was going to stay in a closet room with a double bed and a view of a brick wall, and all rooms booked on Hotwire/Priceline are given this type of room. But, you do pay about $100 less per night using Hotwire if you can upgrade your room at the hotel to a tower room (AAA rate for a tower room is $230/night).

I have never had problems with check-in people at hotels because I don't treat them like they automatically owe me something. Upon our check-in, I was nice to the girl checking us in, made a little small talk, offered a little humility saying, "I know I booked this on Hotwire, but if there's anything you can do...." Sure enough, she just gave me the upgraded room in the new tower.
Didn't have to pay an extra dime for a king room on a lower floor with a view of Mason Street. I think usually it's $35/night if available, which you still would be saving $65/night by booking on Hotwire. The tower rooms are well equipped and nice. Beds were super comfy as per Westin standards, room was quiet (of course there was street noise, but you're in the heart of Union Square, not a B and B in the country.)

The shower was probably the best part about the room. Overall it was
comfortable, clean, and very contemporary. The hotel itself mixed contemporary with a classical feel, which I thought was very unique.

The concierge desk was super helpful too. The guys working there seem to be on top of their job. They got me dinner reservations and mapped some stuff out for me in the city.

The parking was a bit outrageous, but I knew that going in, so I parked around the corner for $28/day instead of the hotel's $54/day. There are about 3 garages that were within a block of the hotel -- worth the 200 foot walk if you ask me. These garages do not have in/out priveleges like the hotel, but if you are only staying in the city, there is absolutely no need to use your car -- nor is there parking anywhere else in the city that is free anyway.

I go to SF every now and then, and this Westin gets a good mark for location, comfort, and value. Good for groups, and good for couples, too. Its a fun place -- the lobby bar is always crowded and Michael Mina is a top rated SF restaurant located in the hotel that had some terrific appetizers and drinks.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Reviewer10
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2007

I read on their website that the hotel went through an upgrade in 2005, but their bathrooms looked like it could use an upgrade. I'm thinking that the room that I got may be a room that has not gone through an upgrade. I've noticed that some hotels will say they went through an upgrade, but they've only upgraded some of the rooms. The bathrooms looked a little outdated and could use a rennovation. I'm a Gold Starwood Preferred member, and the look of the Westin at St. Francis is not the same as most Westin hotels. The theme of the hotel is more of an older style and not modern contemporary. Overall, the rooms are very nice and spatious, the lobby and restaurants are inviting and fun, but the bathrooms could use some updating.

• Liked — The rooms are spatious
  • Disliked — The bathrooms look old
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
los angeles
Reviewed May 25, 2007

I booked through Priceline ($100), so I was a little worried that I would get a shabby/small/dark room. I called ahead to ask for a room in the Tower, preferably as high up as possible. No problem. I got an upgrade for a 15th floor room with a partial view. Only $35 for both nights. It was great! Every bit of Four Stars.

We drove, and it's tricky to park your car in that area, but if you're clever, and you can read SF parking signs REALLY WELL, you can park on the street. The second night we parked way up on Nob Hill and walked back down to the hotel.

In all, I was glad I hadn't booked into one of the zillions of 3-star hotels in the Union Square area. We got a much more luxurious room - it was large, and the bed was amazing - than we would have at one of the smaller hotels in the area.

Last but not least, our service was spectacular! Polite, fast, and warm. I agree with whoever said some people are just cranky, and they elicit matching responses from the staff.

• Liked — everything, really.
  • Disliked — parking.
  • Stayed May 2007
2 Thank plumtraveler
Malibu
Reviewed May 20, 2007

Let me begin by saying that I have been staying at this hotel since I was a child, and this means I have seen it go through many iterations for over 45 years. This most recent stay was so utterly disappointing, I simply do not know where to begin. The recently refurbished lobby on the Union Square side has become this odd assemblage of Art Deco-like seating which one has to wind around just to get through. It takes some time to recognize that this is the hotel bar! Prior to this strange transformation, the bar was the lovely Compass Rose, which now houses a restaurant. The lovely jewelry store on the right was going out of business, and other shops that were a delight over the years no longer exist. I am a Starwood Preferred Guest, so check-in is never a problem anywhere in the world, and is still fine at St. Francis. The particular evening I was there, the lines to get up the tower to my room were extraordinary, and the wait excessive. I will say that the rooms are still decent and the beds comfortable, but there is something that has simply gotten lost overall: the sense of a bygone era, of attention to detail, of feeling that the individual matters. I am so sorry to see the demise of a crown jewel of San Francisco and reluctantly am going to stay elsewhere on my return to the City.

• Liked — The bed is wonderful.
  • Disliked — The overall shabbiness that has overtaken the St. Francis.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo