We just returned from SF. Overall, I'd say it was a great hotel and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone. The people were friendly and professional. The signature Westin heavenly beds were fabulous. A good night's sleep shouldn't be taken for granted especially when you're on vacation. The double shower head is a great feature that I haven't seen or experienced at any other hotel.
After reading the previous reviews, I now understand why the comments were so varied. I'd like like to clarify a few things.
1) The Westin St. Francis is essentially two hotels in one. Even the elevator banks are on separate sides of the Lobby. The historic building (facing Powell St.) has it's original layout and it's decor is traditional. The new tower that was added in 1972 is totally modern. Especially the elevators, which are high speed and are on the outside of the building. The furnishings and room proportions are also modern.
Coming from NYC, we loved the architectural design of the older building. The lobby was gorgeous with it's intricate floral woodwork in its high ceilings. It also has the signature details of a pre-war building, with high ceilings, crown moulding and wide hallways.
2) I'd like to remind everyone of the old adage - you get what you pay for. In the Westin St. Francis, there are several different levels of rooms ranging from Standard to Ultra-Deluxe. If you're booking the room through priceline, expedia, etc..., don't expect a fabulously large room with a view! We booked our room through Expedia so we were given a standard room in the historic building. However, they did offer us the option to upgrade to a larger room for $35 and/or a room with a view also for $35. We declined since we were not going to be in our room most of the time.
3) Location, location, location. It doesn't get any more convenient than this. We had every mode of transportation available to us. The cable car literally ran right in front of the hotel. We took the BART from the airport. We also rented a car for a day from Hertz a block away. Everything we needed was within walking distance.
Now the cons.
Very recently I stayed at the Westin Cancun and I can understand how people feel when they say the Westin St. Francis looks somewhat worn and in need of a renovation. I am speaking only of the standard rooms in the original historic main building and not of the rooms in the new tower. The room was clean and tidy but the furniture was looking as though it had seen better days.
Also a bit of advice, don't move anything in or out of their mini bar to put in your own drinks or food because you will be charged regardless if you put it back later or if you just moved it elsewhere in the fridge. We discovered this the hard way. Since we did an express check out, we weren't aware they charged us for something we didn't drink. My husband moved a beer in order to put in some leftovers. We noticed it on our bill after we were back in NY.
Don't park your car here. It's up to $49 plus tax/night. That's why we rented a car for a day and returned it on the same day. If you must drive, consider parking it in the municipal lots a few blocks away.
The Westin St. Francis lives up to the Westin reputation and it lived up to our expectations. If we return to SF, we'd definitely chose the Westin St. Francis again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- More than just a hotel, The Westin St. Francis is a destination where you can unwind and be pampered by attentive, world-class service. As the only hotel located on Union Square, we are celebrated for our historic Magneta Grandfather Clock, a popular gathering place for generations of travelers, as well as our commitment to guest renewal and relaxation. Explore this legendary landmark, which has drawn locals and visitors for more than a century with our distinguished service and through the timeless refrain "Meet me under the clock!" Inside our warm and welcoming San Francisco luxury hotel, marble columns, ornate balconies, and intricate woodwork transport guests back to the elegance of yesteryear. Yet these magnificent appointments are balanced by modern, groundbreaking amenities including the revolutionary Heavenly Bed, our Starwood Preferred Guest rewards program, and employees dedicated to making you feel at home. Book one of our downtown San Francisco hotel rooms and discover the allure of the city's most charismatic and vital setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin St. Francis Hotel San Francisco
- Westin St Francis
- Westin San Francisco
- Westin Hotel San Francisco
- San Francisco Westin