“Terrible Experience at the Westin”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #71 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“Terrible Experience at the Westin”
Reviewed May 8, 2007

Shabby Property. Incompetent, uncooperative and worthless staff.

Stayed there for four nights. The first room had an airconditioning problem. Asked the front desk to fix it. Two hours went by nothing was done. Went down to talk to the front desk to see what was taking them so long. The front desk personnel was absolutely. Her answer was she had put in a word for an engineer to take a look into the air conditioning problem and therefore has done her job. It is not her problem any more. As I raised my voice, magically she found another room. This room, same as the one before had its airconditioning working. The shower in this room leaked continuosly next day. Further calls to the front desk did not do any good. Absolute incompetence.

On my last day, I found several items added to my bill from the bar which were incorrect. I had to again raise by voice to correct the items.

Overall very bad experience at this Westin property. I have stayed in other Westin and Starwood properties around the world and had wonderful experiences. This property seem to have fallen through their cracks. I will certainly stay at a different hotel the next time I am in San francisco.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Terrible Customer Service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Global_Traveller037

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,317)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
The World
Reviewed April 30, 2007

We checked in around noon and was given a room key immediately. The ride on the elevator and the hallway to our room was a bit worrisome as it was definitively old. However, as soon as we opened the door, our concerns was washed away. Our king bed room was larger than the usual San Francisco hotel's room with a great view right out to the busy Union Square. Aside from the usual bed and tables we also have a lounge reading chair. The Heavenly Bed is my favorite hotel bed, just enough layers to make me snooze right away.

The bathroom was large and comfortable fitting 2 persons easily. The usual Heavenly bath products are well stocked and presented nicely.

The location of this hotel is superb. It is also great if you want to catch a cable car as the stop in front of the St-Francis almost always have spaces (The cable car always left the Union Square station with a few empty seats so they can pick up other passengers along the way). We had a good time in this place considering the price that we paid for.

• Liked — Great location and room
  • Disliked — Aging hallway
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
Miami
Reviewed April 24, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the St. Francis for 6 nights in the middle of April, on our way home from a wonderful Pacific extravaganza (including LA, Honolulu, Kyoto, Hakone and Tokyo). My first impression was that I thought the lobby was beautiful. I loved the ornate Victorian style, the furniture, the chandeliers, etc. The photos of all the famous people who have stayed their over the years were cool.

Our room was in the tower building, and although we missed out on the more old-fashioned guest rooms............the glass elevator ride was a really fun part of our stay there. We were on the 30th floor, and there was always music when we got in......sometimes a Hitchcock theme, sometimes flamenco or jazz, but it alsways seemed to go with the ride! And wow, is it fast! The views of the city are amazing, but the speed of the ride when you can shoot straight down to the lobby with no stopping was awesome.

Our room was fine, nothing to really write home about. The "heavenly bed" I'd heard so much about wasn't as heavenly as I hoped. The bathroom was large, but the shower pressure was a bit weak, even though they tried to jazz it up and give it a second head. Also, the curtain didn't really extend all the way across the whole shower space, which made for a bit of a mess. I might be a little harsh in my review on the bathroom though; we'd just gotten back to America from Japan, and the bathroom couldn't possible compete with the futuristic toilets in Tokyo!

Our view was lovely, of Union Square, the Coit Tower and the bay. And the location of the hotel itself was excellent - there was a line of cabs always at the main entrance, the cable car turnaround is right down the road, every major department store known to man is right there! There are a few late night diner options nearby, too.......oh, and an excellent wine bar nearby called First Crush. Really cool place.

I would definitely recommend this hotel........San Francisco was a fantastic city, and the St. Francis couldn't have been a better home base for us.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MiamiGirl79
New York
Reviewed April 21, 2007

Lovely room - some parts worn, but peaceful, relaxing and large. I got this thru Priceline (although probably bid $10 more than needed) and they apparently put Priceliners in the old tower, where some visitors have had complaints. I was in room 908 (requested 1208, but it was booked) and the room was quite nice and *very* spacious - esp. for a San Francisco hotel room. I was in and out, so didn't spend a ton of time dealing w/ staff. About 1/3 of the ones I came in contact with were great, the others were a bit harried, disinterested, impersonal and short. It's not a 5-star, but was a surprisingly genteel place and I was impressed enough to be more than willing to stay there again (even though, as a former SF resident, I can't stand the Union Sq. area).

One note: don't park in the obscenely overprices hotel parking. Park in the Sutter/Stockton garage 2 blocks away.

Stayed April 2007
4 Thank bonviv89
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed April 18, 2007

This hotel goes out of its way to make sure people do not return. Over priced slovenly appearance, shabby in places and many staff who do not appear to understand to easiest request.First room was like a rabbit hutch and smelly with paper peeling off wall.Up graded for a fee to a better room which was satisfactory but still badly in need of redecoration.

No real sign of management at any time. A great let down after so much looking forward.

• Liked — position relevant to city centre
  • Disliked — lack of any signs of life
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank johnstorey
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 29, 2007

We stayed for one night at the St. Francis as part of a trip up the CA coast. The check-in was seamless - we are SPG Gold members and requested a room with a view, and were upgraded to a bay view room on the 27th floor of the new tower.

We were impressed with the room - nice renovation, not extremely spacious, but very nice and we had a great view (see the pictures attached.) The tower elevators are very fast and even give your stomach a bit of a flutter when you are coming down from a higher floor.

We asked the concierge for a dinner recommendation and really enjoyed the restaurant he recommended (Bacar).

Parking is very expensive at $45 a night plus taxes, but somewhat to be expected given the incredible location right off of Union Square.

Bed and bath are the highlights (as is the case at any Westin), but the lobby area is really great too; old and historic feeling - SF's version of Chicago's Drake or NYC's Waldorf. The old grande dame of the city with a lot of history.

Definitely worth the stay if you can get upgraded to a room in the new tower; all in all, a good stay in the heart of the city.

• Liked — Great location and Heavenly bed
  • Disliked — Parking is really expensive but to be expected
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank bigapplered
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed March 27, 2007

Pay lots of money for a room in a killer location but don't expect any kind of decent customer service at this hotel.

I have been here almost a week for work and they just consistently try to make things hard for me.

Charging me for stuff I don't touch in the mini-bar, extra charges for internet (7 days worth for 5 days), can't answer my questions when I call front desk... and all with a bit of attitude as if they don't really want to be bothered helping at all.

Is it because of the reputation of this hotel? It's booked out and popular, that's for sure... so maybe they don't have to try anymore?

Westin is synonymous with poor quality and bad attitude for me... and I will make sure I avoid them from now on in any city.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — people that work here
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business