“Beauty is skin deep.............”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #70 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Badgerland
“Beauty is skin deep.............”
Reviewed March 23, 2007

While an impressive looking property in a wonderful location, the room was small, stuffy, clean in a cursory sense only, and stuck off a back stairwell.
The "view" was of a brick wall, which is to say there wasn't one.
The concierge was polite and helpful.
Other front of house personnel seemed stressed, disinterested, or otherwise occupied rather than focused on genuine guest service and courtesy.
The doorman reprimanded me for hailing my own cab while he "tended to" other guests. He explained it was "...his job to get the cabs, that's how we do it here...". I found his attitude and manner toward a guest of his hotel less than acceptable.
Given the look and professed grandeur of the hotel, I expected more in the way of service, room amenities, and front of house courtesy.
With the other options available in the Union Square area, my future SF travel plans will not include the Westin St. Francis.

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank Ettiquette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,328)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 23, 2007

I stayed in the old building. The bed was the most comfortable I ever experienced at any hotel I stayed in the past, and I would sleep like a baby if not for my neighbour who was on the phone all night. The sound insulation is so poor that I could hear every little detial of his conversation, including details of his flight resrvation changes to Miami (at 2:40 am!) and excitement (clapping his hands) about some technical issues resolution in his back office (at 4:00 am, must be different time zone).

A tip: my colleague who stayed at this hotel with me enquired at check in time if they have a gym nearby, and they offered him a complementary room equipped with a treadmill. The added bonus was that the room was like 3 times bigger than standard (which is very small, like 4 by 4 steps). Apparently this benefit is open to every guest, as long as they did not run out of those rooms.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank OliverKrog
London
Reviewed March 18, 2007

Had a room in the tower for 4 days. Corridors are gloomy and run down. Room was better but nothing to shout about. Saving grace is location. Next time I will look for somewhere else to stay.

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank frednuff
SanFranciscoMary, Director of Elite Guest Experience at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, March 7, 2008
We are proud of of our recent upgrades to The Westin St. Francis. In the last six months we have installed the following upgrades to our guest rooms and hallways: All rooms now have 37" flat screen TV's, brand new Heavenly Beds, new carpeting in the rooms and hallways , new ergonomic desk chairs,and new furniture in many rooms. Our guests have told us they are extremely pleased with these upgrades and look forward to their return visits.
Huntington Beach
Reviewed March 2, 2007

After reading the reviews, I wasn't sure I stayed in the same hotel. Started at checkin : could have checked in at 3:30 but desk clerk said if I could wait for about 30 min. I could get as higher room in the tower at the same price. She gave us each a coupon for a latte or capucino? at the coffee bar. Awesome so far. Went to the room and had a vw of GG bridge, Mark Hopkins, Coit Tower . and Bay. Others have mentioned the perfect location in Union Sq, Cable Car, Shopping, Close to Sears (breakfast), Dottie's True Blue Cafe on Jones (breakfast), Scalas (dinner), Scomas (dinner), etc BUT at check out when the Valet went to get our car he heard a thuid in our back storage area so when he stopped to check and opened the SUV back hatch, one of the expensive wines I had bought in the wine country fell out and broke . He told me what happened and offered to make up for it in some way. I told him the bottle cost $40-$45, so he talked to his boss and came back with an offer to make it up by crediting our bill. I just got my AM Exp statement and he credited me allright. In fact he credited me for the entire 3 nites we spent there ($153.90). N-I-C-E!!!! What an honorable and far more extravagant than I had expected. You'll love the StFrrancis. The cocktail/latte area in the lobby is excellent, as well as the super courtesy of the staff and our room was clean, good vw, etc.

Stayed February 2007
5 Thank huntingtonbeach1
Statesboro, GA
Reviewed March 1, 2007

After months of research and obsessing over which hotel to book for our 15 yr. annversary trip, we chose the Westin St. Francis. We could not have been more thrilled! What a beautiful hotel. We stayed in a Grandview room in the newer tower rooms. To die for beds, awesome views and great room service. We ordered room service one evening and was delivered quickly and was DELICIOUS. For breakfast one morning, we ordered from the menu that you leave on your doorknob the night before and choose your delivery time. It was delivered right on time and was the best breakfast I have ever had! And the location is unbeatable. The cable cars, buses and BART are just short steps away. The hotel is really beautiful, convenient and safe. Take time to explore this historic beauty. I will NEVER stay anywhere else!!!
TIP: You can walk to Chinatown or hop on the bus on Stockton Street. The 30 and 45 will take you to Chinatown, North Beach, Fishermans Wharf... get a muni passport for 3 or 7 days and ride unlimited rides on the buses, BART, cable cars and street cars. Alcatraz - Awesome, book tickets online if you can. Fills up fast. Bike the Bridge - If you are up to it. It is really a wonderful experience. The map is easy to navigate. Ride is beautiful and you ride a ferry back with you bike from Sausolito. If you eat breakfast out of the hotel, Sears Fine Dining is just up the street on Powell (Bkfst, Lunch, Dinner). There are several Lori's Diners up and down from the hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Had to leave.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank E.S.B.Statesboro
Stockton-on-tees
Reviewed February 23, 2007

After reading many reviews on tripadvisor. Me and my girlfriend left the uk for our first stop on our holiday of a lifetime. We did so going to san francisco with a worry about the westin, going off previous reviews!

These worries were needless. As soon as we arrived we were bowled over by the grandness of the hotel lobby. During check in the man on the desk was very helpful, and spent time finding the best room available to house us in.

We were given an end room, which had amazing views of Union square. The hotel is a historic one, and consequently so too are the rooms. Ours was huge, with of course the heavenly bed which is truely heavenly. The bathroom was on the small side but not worth a moan. You can hear the noise outside from cars and cable cars, but this is San Francisco if you dont like it go somewhere else!!!

The rest of the hotel areas are well maintained and very nice. This hotel also offers the best location bar none. Cable car stop right outside. And walking distance to all the main shops. Macys, Bloomingdales etc. All in all a great stay. Leaves me wondering where have all the moaners been staying? It cant be here. Go for an end room, you will not be disappointed!!!

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Akid
Richmond, CA
Reviewed February 16, 2007

Okay....you live in the area and want to do something different.....hmmmmmm....Napap Valley? Sonoma? The coast. Why not pop on to BART and spend a night in the City! It was my anniversary so my partner and I thought, why not. We enjoyed the experience.

Okay, okay...qualify the stars. I would give it a 3 3/4 if possible. As opposed to some of the reviewers, we asked for a tower room rather than a room in the older part of the establishment. Linens, pillows and mattress (as well as the view of the city and bay from the windows of our tower room) FIVE STARS. The linens and bed were VERY nice. I travel a fair amount for work and this was genuinely one of the nicest beds I've had the pleasure to sleep in in a long time!

The condition of the room left a bit to be desired. There was duct tape around one of the widows and the carpet was slightly damp. As we opened the curtains when we first entered the room, one of plastic pullbacks for the drapes was on the floor. Some of the wall covering was peeling off of the wall by the windows as well. Yes, I understand this is a big and busy hotel but when I spend the kind of $$$ it would have been nice not to have damp carpet.

The lobby is beautiful and location convenient to shopping and downtown. To my fellow bay areaians......looking for a fun night in the City? Give the St. Francis a try.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Wet carpet and duct taped window
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple