“The St. Francis just doesn't care”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #71 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“The St. Francis just doesn't care”
Reviewed January 20, 2006

We stayed for one night. The room was fine for the price (Hotwire $65). We had a small bottle of wine from the mini-bar for $18. It was not bad. When we checked out, I told the desk clerk about the wine and paid $18. When we got home, two $18 charges were on our credit card bill. I called the St. Francis on a Saturday to get their mistake corrected. The desk clerk said there was nothing he could do and said I would have to talk to accounting between 9-5 during the week. He didn't offer to take a message and somehow seemed to suggest that this whole thing was my fault. It's funny how the hotel is able to charge your card 24-7, but when they take your money without cause, suddenly it's very difficult for them to give it back. Very poor attitude and service.

Stayed January 2006
11 Thank PugetSoundguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,317)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Palo Alto
Reviewed January 17, 2006

I used Priceline to book a standard room. I put in 4 star hotel and named my price. I used their "name your own price" option and was amazed that I got a standard room at the Westin St. Francis in San Francisco for less than $100. I was really looking forward to staying there, however, when I got to my room I was completely shocked. Right when I got off the elevator the smell in the hallway was terrible. It smelled like an old basement and the lighting was very dim. It is creepy and when I got to my room the smell was even stronger. The room was the size of my closet, the walls had plaster that was coming off and the toilet was old and made a lot of noise when you flushed (the kind of noise that wakes you up when someone upstairs flushes - which happened to us). We ended up not upgrading the room (costs started adding up when you factor in the $45 charge for parking overnight at the hotel) and slept there for that night, but I felt I was suffocating from the smell. The bed was a queen size bed, not the king size I've gotten in other hotels in the past for that price. I feel that Priceline was not honest in that they should have put this room as a 1-star room. It is the worst hotel room I have stayed in ever. I have stayed in better rooms in motels. I would not recommend this to anyone.

14 Thank Hope2008_8
Reviewed January 8, 2006

I managed to get a fantastic deal on this hotel from Hotwire - it was $75 without taxes. So of course I was thrilled at getting a 4 star hotel right on the doorstep of Union Square for that price.
As expected, the parking was exorbitant - but I figured, for the convenience, why not? It was $44+tax. However, when I was checking in at the coutner, I found out that the car parking rates start again every day at 1pm, so even if you arrive at midnight, you will be charged for a 2nd day if you park beyond 1pm the next day. I was annoyed at that so asked for my car to be returned to me. The valets did so without a fuss and even suggested other garages for me to go to. I ended up at the Union Square garage (right below Union Square, entrance opposite Macy's), which is $30 (tax included) for a proper 24 hour block. And plus, it's only a 2 minute walk from the hotel.
The room, although not huge, was sufficient for my husband and I. The bed was incredible (as expected) and the shower powerful and great for sore walking muscles.
For my parents-in-law, I also got the same room on Hotwire, but apparently the rate only applied to a queen bed room. So I paid the hotel an extra $35 to upgrade them to a slightly bigger 2 double bed room. My in-laws enjoyed this hotel much more (out of those they'd already stayed in the rest of the holiday) because 1) wonderful location 2) great beds and showers 3) bar downstairs where they could have a nightcap before heading back up.
The walk-in rate for this hotel was $149 for a double room. I wouldn't stay there for that price, but at the hotwire price? Every time!

7 Thank happy_hippo_11
Santa Rosa
Reviewed January 3, 2006

10 years ago and more, we got into the habit of spending a day or two at the St. Francis with our children, over Christmas. We loved the big old rooms in the older part, and once stayed in the tower and loved that, and the prices were great over the holidays.

But since then, the quality of the hotel has gone way down. My wife and I decided to give it a try once more, and I'm here to say that it is getting better. Our $199 deluxe, high-floor tower room was first-rate and had a great view. I for one was greatful for the over-priced minibar. To get a reasonably priced drink or meal you have to leave the hotel, and I regard a minibar as worth the money when I'm tired or in need of a 2 a.m. snack.

Exploring the hotel, they are remodelling dozens of rooms in the older section. It's good to see they are putting some money in it at last.

I agree with the comments that describe the check-in process as chaotic. It always has been at that season, but we got the room we were promised, and I'll plan to go back, probably getting a couple of rooms in the old section next time.

Parking is very expensive. You can park across the street for $30 for 24 hours at the Union Square garage, though that wasn't an option for us on a rainy night

6 Thank srca
Folsom, CA
Reviewed January 3, 2006

Based on the other reviews, I would recommend staying in the newer tower if you ever stay there. The best thing the St. Francis has going for it is the location.

My family and I had two rooms there on December 30th. Although I had been excited to stay there based on the location and having been in the lobby, I was less than thrilled with the room. We were in the older tower, and the room was TINY! And, smelled musty. The beds were great, as I've come to expect at the Westin, but the room needed updating. The doorknob on our adjoining room kept falling off. The bathroom was barely big enough for one person to get ready in.

When we first arrived at the hotel our rooms weren't even ready, even though it was after check-in time. And, then we had to wait in line again an hour later to get our keys. Our room had a decent view of the city, and a pirate flag flying on the building below.

We ate breakfast at the coffee bar - okay, but Starbucks is only a block away. And, dinner right across the street at the Daily Grill which is always good. I might consider staying here again in the new tower if the room rate is reasonable. Oh, and you're not going to get away from the exhorbitant parking charges at any comparable hotel.

3 Thank trigirl81
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2006

Oh my god, when i read the review from the pilots wife a few before mine it was like our experience all over again. I had come from England and spent 3 days in Las Vegas and then planned a 3 day trip to SF at the W S Francis, i had been planning the trip for nearly 6 months. We were tired on arrival having a 6am check in at the airport, when i arrived into our upgraded deluxe room with a view i actually did burst into tears, we had a view of the car park across the street!!!!!!! My husband went to reception to ask to be moved which we were, to a room overlooking the square, the one and only good thing about this room. it Staank!!!!!!!!!! We had an Ozone machine brought up, sprayed the room with perfume and left all the windows wide open. The room had obviously had smokers in, everything stank of smoke and a fusty old smell like an old peoples home, it did not get any better. Someone had removed the fire alarm from the ceiling. Bathroom was grimy and had mildew growing up the walls, the bath was anything other than heavenly!!! Bed apart from being smelly was OK but couldnt enjoy our stay at all, overall save your money and go somewhere more modern, and clean, this place spoiled our whole trip to SF and we couldnt wait to get back to Vegas YUK YUK YUK

9 Thank chicken97
Holden, MA
Reviewed January 1, 2006

The St. Francis was our teenagers choice. They loved all the action in the lobby and in Union Square.We were able to get a last minute room for under $150.00. The room in the newer part of the hotel was quite nice. It was more spacious than other San Francisco 4 star hotels in S.F. The only negative was the shower lever falling off in my hand. The room was very clean and quiet.
I was a little disappointed that they did not have umbrellas to use in the rain storm, as many hotels do in S.F. The staff apologized and sent us to Walgreens down the street.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and for that price we will stay there again.

3 Thank ltt123