“San Francisco Gem!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Jose, California
“San Francisco Gem!”
Reviewed October 15, 2005

We stayed at the Westin one night for our friend's wedding. I made a reservation through the Rooms Reservations Manager- and he was wonderful about a great rate, and he attempted to upgrade the room. HOWEVER- at check-in- the front desk agent decided to void the upgrade to speed us through the line! I was very disappointed that he never even asked us if we'd like to wait for the upgraded room!! When we arrived at our room on the 11th floor, the door was OPEN! The room was clean and ready for us, but it was VERY disconcerting that the door to our room would be OPEN! The room was nice- the bathroom was typical San Francisco- VERY petite! The chandelier in the sleeping room was a nice touch.. The "heavenly" bed was a little less than heavenly- but it did the trick. For the location in San Francisco, if I was a tourist, this would be an impressive place to stay- but being a local, I expected a bit more!

3 Thank tammigop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,328)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
Reviewed October 15, 2005

We booked through Westin 800 number and were assured a "nice" room. When we arrived we were shocked at the room. Small, smelly and plain. After arguing with the front desk they put us in a smoking room in the new tower. My brother stayed the same time and had a larger room in the old section. The room was very old and in serious need of renovation. For what they charge you can do much better in San francisco.

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank robpco
Reviewed October 14, 2005

Stayed for 3 nights in San Francisco. This hotel is on union square which is an excellent location, with cable cars stopping just outside. All staff were friendly, but sometimes felt a little underdressed in shorts especially in grand lobby area. The room was clean and spacious, and the bed and shower being "heavenly" were heavenly!
The lifts were like a theme park ride, after first 4 floors you could see outside through glass, i felt a little sick until i got used to it. Went up to top floor to take photos of views.
Would stay in this hotel again when in San Francisco.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 30, 2005

On arriving, I inadvertantly joined the wrong check-in queue - I was told that the queue I was in was for Starwood 'Preferred Guests' only. Am I alone in thinking that for $330 per night, all guests should be 'Preferred'?

No help was offered with our (substantial) luggage - in fact, apart from the efficient and friendly receptionist and the charming waitress in the cocktail lounge (by the main entrance) staff were a bit full of themselves.

Dirty wine glasses left in the room by housekeeping & petty charges were a main annoyance - for example, the room service menu carries a service charge - fair enough, but on top of that they then whack on a 'delivery charge' - what is a delivery charge if not a service charge?

The room was superb - on the 28th floor overlooking Union Square. Overall, the hotel was aesthetically beautiful. I would suggest that the management take a trip to Caesars Palace in Las Vegas to find out what service actually means. I would also recommend you try the Manhattans - the best I have ever tasted!

• Stayed August 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 27, 2005

We stayed at St. Francis for 5 nights. We booked the hotel in Europe and the price is really okay if you book it at a traveller office in Europe and not online on there homepage. You get much cheaper rates.

The hotel is directly on the union square. It is easy to go to fishermans warf with the cable car, to walk to china town, italian town or coit tower. Or simply go shopping to market street.

The room is a little bit small if you want to have only one bed for two. The bathroom was old and not that nice. It does not fit to the rest of the room.

We were for 3 weeks in the USA and San Francisco was our last stop. We had a rental car and the bigest problem at the St. Francis for me was the expansive parking garage. I think a hotel like the St. Francis should have a parking garage for free for there guests. The garage for one day with in and out costs 44 Dollars. Anyway the parking in San Fran is expansive but at the St. Francis its much more expansive. So if you ever come by car to the St. Francis: Park at the Sutter-Stockten Garage. It's only a 3 minutes walk from the St. Francis and has cheaper rates.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, UK
Reviewed September 26, 2005

We were a bit hesitant at first with this hotel after reading a few reviews. However, we loved the hotel, and our overall stay there. We had 7nts in the new tower block with a delux suite. The room was clean and nicely decorated with a great view (20 floors up). The lifts were great, every morning stepping into the glass elevator with a 180degree view accross the city was uplifting. The lifts also plays music!
We found the location perfect, very close to shopping and transport needs.
The hotel has a lot of history which we were fascinated by, and the gift shop even sold a history guide to the hotel for a few dollars!
We had nothing bad to say about the place appart from the front desk- checking in was very slow. However, after that no complaints at all. We loved it!

4 Thank JacksonLondon_UK
new jersey
Reviewed September 24, 2005

I stayed at the St. Francis this past week attending a conference that was at the hotel. Even though I didn't have much choice on hotels, I still checked out the reviews here in advance. Fortunately (for me!) my experience was better than average, although I still don't think I'd stay there again. I was in the old section of the hotel and had a large room on the seventh floor. The beds and shower are fantastic and it's clear that money has been spent in these cosmetic areas. The down side was that my room was somewhere by the garbage collection area so I was awakened very early every morning. The hotel is a grand old hotel and does show wear and tear.....and could definitely use a cosmetic upgrade. But it was also sold out so I guess they're not terribly motivated to change. I had some problems with the internet connection and the help desk supporting the hotel was excellent. Also wasn't charged for the internet connection..although that could have been a billing mistake that will show up later. Bottom line recommendation: the hotel's in a great area, but there are definitely a lot of other choices to try!

Stayed September 2005