In San Francisco for business, I couldn't have been happier with this hotel.
The Westin announces itself well before you get to it as it towers above Union Square. From the outside, the front building of the hotel - which is the original dating back to 1904 - looks pretty majestic, followed by an even larger tower behind it, where the newer rooms are.
The lobby has more than a touch of the history that this hotel has been through, including everything from old-world chandeliers to glass case displays of old hotel restaurant menus. Adjacent to the front lobby is a much more modern and sleek sitting area featuring the entrance to an equally modern and sleek restaurant - Michael Mina - which looked like a place to be seen. All told, you feel like you're in a place that's both old San Francisco and hip.
My room was maybe a touch nicer than the standard Westin I normally stay in, with slightly sharper and more modern fixtures and design, a very attractive bathroom and shower, and a little larger than I usually get.
I liked the location in that it's literally in the heart of Union Square, and is near to a number of restaurants and areas you're likely to want to see. It isn't, however, right next to some of the other nice areas to hang out in - Russian Hill, North Beach, or the water etc - so if you're looking for those areas specifically, this may not be your choice. But Union Square has plenty to offer itself.
All in all, I'd certainly stay here again, and I'd recommend it for both couples and for business.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- More than just a hotel, The Westin St. Francis is a destination where you can unwind and be pampered by attentive, world-class service. As the only hotel located on Union Square, we are celebrated for our historic Magneta Grandfather Clock, a popular gathering place for generations of travelers, as well as our commitment to guest renewal and relaxation. Explore this legendary landmark, which has drawn locals and visitors for more than a century with our distinguished service and through the timeless refrain "Meet me under the clock!" Inside our warm and welcoming San Francisco luxury hotel, marble columns, ornate balconies, and intricate woodwork transport guests back to the elegance of yesteryear. Yet these magnificent appointments are balanced by modern, groundbreaking amenities including the revolutionary Heavenly Bed, our Starwood Preferred Guest rewards program, and employees dedicated to making you feel at home. Book one of our downtown San Francisco hotel rooms and discover the allure of the city's most charismatic and vital setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Starwood, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin St. Francis Hotel San Francisco
- Westin St Francis
- Westin San Francisco
- Westin Hotel San Francisco
- San Francisco Westin