We enjoyed our four-night stay here in late July. We had a "Grand View" room on the 25th floor in the tower, with a great view stretching from the Golden Gate Bridge on one side (when visible) to Coit Tower and some of the bay. The room was spacious for a city hotel, and nicely done, with a large, attractive bath. (This is clearly a hotel where booking a better room category makes a big difference in your experience.) Views from the Tower elevators were equally impressive, although in a different direction, and made each elevator ride a real treat. The lobby of the tower building was very elegant and attractive, while the lobby of the main hotel maintained a nice mix of the historic architecture and modern decor.
We took advantage of the mid-week special dinner menu for St. Francis guests at Michael Mina, which was wonderful, and a fraction of the cost of the more extensive normal menu. The breakfast buffet at the Oak Room was very good, with lots of fresh fruit and excellent pastries (great chocolate croissants and banana nut muffins) as well as the usual hot items. (Although not listed on the menu, the cold buffet is available for less than the full buffet.) Some mornings we just picked up good pastries and coffee from the small bar in the lobby of the tower building, with plenty of spacious seating.
The spa is convenient, and I was able to make bookings on less than a day's notice. The services and locker room/facilities were fine, but this is clearly a convenience offering, not a "destination spa."
While this is a huge, busy hotel (often with lines for the concierge), our floor and rooms were very peaceful and quiet, and the hotel has both history and personality. Go speak to the delightful gentleman who runs a shoe-shining service near the Oak Room - he will surely put a smile on your face, and may even sing you a song!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- More than just a hotel, The Westin St. Francis is a destination where you can unwind and be pampered by attentive, world-class service. As the only hotel located on Union Square, we are celebrated for our historic Magneta Grandfather Clock, a popular gathering place for generations of travelers, as well as our commitment to guest renewal and relaxation. Explore this legendary landmark, which has drawn locals and visitors for more than a century with our distinguished service and through the timeless refrain "Meet me under the clock!" Inside our warm and welcoming San Francisco luxury hotel, marble columns, ornate balconies, and intricate woodwork transport guests back to the elegance of yesteryear. Yet these magnificent appointments are balanced by modern, groundbreaking amenities including the revolutionary Heavenly Bed, our Starwood Preferred Guest rewards program, and employees dedicated to making you feel at home. Book one of our downtown San Francisco hotel rooms and discover the allure of the city's most charismatic and vital setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Starwood, Agoda, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin St. Francis Hotel San Francisco
- Westin St Francis
- Westin San Francisco
- Westin Hotel San Francisco
- San Francisco Westin