“Very Nice, Great Views.”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #72 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 3, 2009

We enjoyed our four-night stay here in late July. We had a "Grand View" room on the 25th floor in the tower, with a great view stretching from the Golden Gate Bridge on one side (when visible) to Coit Tower and some of the bay. The room was spacious for a city hotel, and nicely done, with a large, attractive bath. (This is clearly a hotel where booking a better room category makes a big difference in your experience.) Views from the Tower elevators were equally impressive, although in a different direction, and made each elevator ride a real treat. The lobby of the tower building was very elegant and attractive, while the lobby of the main hotel maintained a nice mix of the historic architecture and modern decor.

We took advantage of the mid-week special dinner menu for St. Francis guests at Michael Mina, which was wonderful, and a fraction of the cost of the more extensive normal menu. The breakfast buffet at the Oak Room was very good, with lots of fresh fruit and excellent pastries (great chocolate croissants and banana nut muffins) as well as the usual hot items. (Although not listed on the menu, the cold buffet is available for less than the full buffet.) Some mornings we just picked up good pastries and coffee from the small bar in the lobby of the tower building, with plenty of spacious seating.

The spa is convenient, and I was able to make bookings on less than a day's notice. The services and locker room/facilities were fine, but this is clearly a convenience offering, not a "destination spa."

While this is a huge, busy hotel (often with lines for the concierge), our floor and rooms were very peaceful and quiet, and the hotel has both history and personality. Go speak to the delightful gentleman who runs a shoe-shining service near the Oak Room - he will surely put a smile on your face, and may even sing you a song!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,730)

Reviewed July 27, 2009

The St. Francis is a very nice, historic property located right on Union Square, the bustling (and touristy) shopping district of San Francisco. If proximity to Union Square is your priority, you can't beat this hotel...though they certainly make you pay!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I was running the SF half marathon and decided to stay in a hotel to be able to sleep in instead of waking up to do the drive from San Jose. I'd originally booked the Harbor Court but my cousin decided she wanted to run with me and my sister wanted to come for a fun night in the city so the one bed situation there didn't work out for us. This was one of the more affordable places to get a room with two beds on race weekend.
We checked in at about 5pm on Saturday and were even offered an upgrade! The clerk was extremely friendly and said "I know you booked a 2 double room but I have a larger room overlooking union square available, though it only has a king bed, but room for a rollaway!" I didn't want to make my cousin sleep on a rollaway the night before the run so I decline but it was so nice that she offered!
Our room was really nice and modern, everything was extremely clean as well. The beds were ridiculously comfortable and the shower with the two shower heads was awesome. I thought the room was HUGE for being in the city. I may be used to smaller rooms because I usually stay at older historic hotels but I'd say this was comparable to a standard mgm property room in Vegas. The room had 2 double beds, a desk with a chair, a comfy chair & a dresser with a flat panel tv and still a good amount of open space.
My only complaint is that parking was $50 a night, but it is always pretty pricey to park in SF so whatever. We only stayed one night and we're pretty easy so our interaction with the staff other than check-in was minimal but the room and hotel worked out perfectly for what we needed it for. I must comment that yes, you can hear sirens going down Powell but it wasn't loud enough to wake any of us, we just heard them while we were awake.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2009

This is a really beautiful hotel. The rooms were small and I was not able to be upgraded (SPG GOLD PREFERRED) because the desk clerk said that they were sold out. My husband did not like the room. He felt that it was small and the bathroom was really small. We might have stayed in the older [part of the ghotel..I amnot sure. The lobby was beautiful and the location can not be beeat. I would stay there again but my husband did not think it would be worth a return trip to this hotel. The bed was really heavenly and the sheets were so soft. I slept just great. BTW, my husband also liked the bed and the sheets.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Stayed here for 5 nights - allocated the room no one wants on floor 11 near lifts. Requested to be moved - they would not change floors and offered room ( last one available per desk ) on same floor near stairs.
I found this hotel to be the most noisiest hotel at night that I have ever stayed in. I stayed in the new building but the noise from room doors closing and volume of people moved around this hotel.
Lots of conventions and mathaton runners here and foyer packed every day to the rafters.
On a good note the location is excellent - but ask for a room on the 20th floor or above.
But the noise levels especially with children was just too much to take,

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Richoooo
Reviewed July 22, 2009

Beautiful Hotel in a great location. Staff very helpful and always ready to help. Rooms very comfortable and very clean. Bathrooms small but servicable. Ask for a room away from the elevators. We got one next to the elevator and asked to be moved which they did straight away. The staff were very friendly and nothing seemed to be too hard for them. The Hotel is in a great position close to all sights and action. The Restaurant and bar was always busy and full. A little on the expensive side but there were plenty of eateries around the Hotel that were good prices and good food. We would stay there if we were to return to San Francisco in the future. The only complaint I have is that they charged $15 per day for Internet connection. This is a bit rich as a Hotel of this standard could supply it free to guests. We atsyed in quite a few 5 star Hoels as good as this and the Inernet was free to all guests.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the St. Francis for 5 nights in June. We had 3 rooms booked as my in-laws and sister-in-law were also traveling with us. I'll begin with the pros: Glass elevators are fast and fun!; French toast in the morning is amazing; the hotel is located in the middle of some of the best shops; The stately lobby has a nice bar/coffee area and looks. That's about it for the advantages of this place.

Cons: 1. We arrived earlier than the rest of our family and were told that we wouldn't be able to check in (despite having our confirmation info printed off) due to an original voucher that was needed. To be fair, we booked through Amex travel services but we definitely felt hassled as we were told that we had to hand over our credit card info and then find a certain lady at a certain time to present the vouchers. This was completely annoying as we had our IDs, a printed copy of the voucher and were still threatened that we would have to pay ON TOP of our pre-paid rooms if the original voucher wasn't presented at a certain time. We called our Amex travel agent and she stepped in and told the hotel to back off, that we had paid, etc. Fortunately, the family member carrying our vouchers arrived about 4 hours later after airport delays and didn't need to present the voucher.

2. Housekeeping staff were very friendly but completely overlooked some serious issues in our room. I'm not sure what the guest capacity was at the time we stayed. We had a king suite and the bed was cozy, the tv was fine, the desk had stains all over it, carpet had nasty stains, the tub wasn't cleaned and the nastiest part was that on our chaise lounge, there were DISGUSTING and extremely visible stains left over from somebody's romantic night. Use your imagination on that one. I took pictures of all things mentioned above, but then decided it would be polite not to post them.
Also, our windows had a nasty grime on them and wallpaper was peeling. I called and told management about our issues and no room change was offered, nor were any comps which my friends who manage high-end hotels say are common due to the issues we experienced. So instead, housekeeping is later sent. Fine. Again, the housekeeping staff were as cordial as one could hope for. They removed the gross chaise and brought a chair to fill the space. Then they tried to get some of the stains off the carpet, but we were told they would have to come back and do a full carpet cleaning and we would need to stay out of the room for a few hours due to the chemicals and smells. We declined as I am honestly not too picky, but the chaise was unacceptable and sent me over the edge.

3. Taxi service was extremely inefficient. We had reservations for a dinner we were hosting and left ample time to get a cab. There was a line about 14 people deep and we were told to take a train after waiting for about 30 minutes. The lobby people kept telling us to wait outside and one would be hailed and seemed adamant that we should not call a car service or try to call a cab on the phone. Weird and completely inefficient. Other guests were beyond irritated, dressed to the nines and some ladies decided to walk several blocks in major heels since we all were getting nowhere with the cab service. They need more people to hail them.

4. Noise- We were on a high floor, but still heard horns, music, etc until the early hours. This didn't bother us too much, but for people on business or with kids, this could be an issue.

5. It seemed as if staff felt entitled to a tip, even for substandard service.

6. My sister-in-law was originally booked in the historic part of the hotel but had her room changed after the faucet fell off in her bathroom and the bed was too short for her boyfriend. Also, apparently had an unpleasant smell.

To sum this up, the hotel is taking on too many guests/events which yields to subpar service and accomodations. It's a shame though, because it has the potential to be so much more.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family