The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #75 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Really enjoyed our stay in San Francisco again! The Westin is in a great location - close to everything we wanted to do. Hotels are pricey in the area but the Westin worked hard (and succeeded) to match value to their price. We found our hotel room an oasis from the city life when we needed it. Staff were very friendly and put us into a great corner room. The fitness area was awesome and helped us relax after a long day at our conference. We will definitely choose to stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank PGBritishColumbia
Write a ReviewReviews (5,802)

Reviewed July 20, 2009

Staying at the Westin St Francis after a motorcycle road trip was definitely a treat for me. The location cannot be beat, it is smack dab in the middle of Union Square and all the touristy fun. Its a quick cab ride to Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf.
The Hotel was absolutely charming. I loved the old San Fran feel and the classic photos on the wall remind you that the hotel is part of San Francisco history. The Westin's "Heavenly" treatment was great. Rooms were comfortable, loved the double head shower.
I was able to reserve a room over the internet at $115 and I must say, it almost felt like a steal for this hotel. My only regret is that I didn't get to stay longer than one night.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChicagoChik77
Reviewed July 19, 2009

After arriving at another hotel where we had reservations, we realized we made a bad choice. We saw this Westin on our way there, and called them to book a room. I am a starwood preferred guest member (free membership), and they found a room for us. It was a beautiful, clean, and well-located hotel. Union Square had plenty of nice restaurants and shops and you could easily get a cab or a trolley to other parts of the city. I found the concierge and reservations desk to be very helpful. The rooms were spacious and clean. I have not always stayed at Westin in the past, but I will look for these hotels in the future.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NJtraveler78
Reviewed July 15, 2009

We stayed here on 2 separate occasions on a trip to the Bay Area several weeks ago. The first 3-night stay we stayed in the new tower and the second 3-nights were spent in the old tower. Rooms have been renovated in both towers, personally I liked the 'old' rooms better as they were more classic San Francisco, more character, while still having been updated.

I don't think anyone could say something negative about the hotel's central location. Literally the only hotel located on Union Square, everything is right outside. As a San Francisco local, and someone who is very familiar with SF hotels, I knew this was a good choice and we got a great deal. We had stayed at Le Meridien SF in the past, which is a great hotel, although the location isn't quite as central. This hotel offers everything from Starbucks in the lobby to resturants, bars, a full spa, etc.

My husband worked out several times and the workout room was fine. We both got massages which were fine, but not anything extraordinary. The lights were only slightly dimmed which I don't prefer - not that I want it pitch-black, but more dimmed would have been better. They have a nice changing area with all the essentials, plus showers and a steam room.

The first room we stayed in, in the new tower, was a classic, nice room. Nothing particularly noteworthy and no unique decor or style, but had everything you need and was definitely well-done. Only one sink which I wan't terribly thrilled with, but there was a large counter.

The old tower had a lot more personality and felt more like old SF. The room was large and the TV was at a weird angle on the side table though. The bathroom was smaller than the 'new' room.

One complaint, we had the 'do not disturb' sign on the door and were actually sleeping in on the day of our anniversary. They kept knocking and knocking despite the sign. They were delivering Champagne a friend had called to order for us and yes, it was 10am, but being woken up for it wasn't the most pleasant thing.

Oh and parking is ridiculously expensive. We left our car for 2.5 hrs and paid $30!

Overall, we had a very nice stay and b/c of the location we would definitely stay again, but it would really depend on getting a good deal. I think there are hotel rooms in the city that are a bit more stylish but I definitely am not complaining with what we got. Just a bit more basic, style-wise.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laurengucsb
Reviewed July 14, 2009

My husband and I got married in San Francisco and we chose this hotel to stay in. We didn't have a huge choice of hotels with our holiday company and we couldn't afford the Ritz so we opted for the next best thing.

The hotel itself looked grand and the lobby was absolutely lovely. For these dates we stayed ina traditional room and was a bit taken back when we saw the room. It was very small - could bearly swing a cat in it and it was very dated. We wanted a room in the refurbed area but none was available.

The bathroom was absolutely tiny. Luckily, on my wedding day, I went over to my parents hotel room to get ready at the Marriott which was really spacious, stunning and also in a convinient location - cost them a lot less too.

So - overall, very disappointed. Was overpriced, felt a bit ripped off. But one thing I cannot fault is the incredible location being right on Union Square. We paid for the reputation more than anything - I rather have had a nicer more pleasant room.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KT_mett
Reviewed July 13, 2009

This was our first time in SF and we were looking for a place with a central location. For this reason, the Westin St Francis is great! We hopped off the Bart at Powell St Station and walked about 2 blocks north (& uphill) to our hotel. I was warned that because we booked our stay through priceline, that they would stick us in the old part of the hotel...sure enough they did! I felt guilty for getting a good rate, so I didn't complain, but don't accept a room in the old part of the hotel if you paid full price! The walls were paper thin, so much so, that a closing closet door would cause our neighboring sleepyheads to yell at us. The room was tiny, barely enough room to get around the bed, and the window faced a wall. Also, there's a street performer playing the drums on the corner at night...a full set of drums too, not a singular rinky dink bucket or anything. But I think he quits around 9 or 10 pm. I have no complaints otherwise, I love the Heavely bed, the employees were courteous, the room was clean, and it was a great location.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2009

The Westin is gorgeous and pricey, conveniently located on Union Square. Like most hotels in downtown San Francisco, they charge exorbitant parking fees--as well as extra charges for use of the exercise room and the Internet. With the cost of the room, you would think they could throw in free Internet--most Best Westerns do! I want to alert anyone making reservations that if you are staying in the "new tower" area, you MUST request to be as far away from the elevators as possible. When we got into our room, which was adjacent to the bank of 5 high-speed elevators, it only took a minute to realize a jet plane was not landing next door; it was the elevator. We immediately asked for a different room--well, actually, all my husband had to do was call the desk, say, "We are in a room next to the elevators and..." and before he could finish the sentence they were finding us a different room. Unfortunately we were bumped from a spacious king room to a smaller one with queen beds (all that was left, they said). This was on a different floor, down the hall, and around the corner, yet in the bathroom you could still hear the elevators! I would not stay here again. I would try somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple