“Excellent Pre-Christmas Visit”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Rafael, CA
“Excellent Pre-Christmas Visit”
Reviewed December 21, 2004

I stayed here on Dec. 11, 2004 for my company Christmas party. I was pleasantly surprised as I had stayed here many years ago and did not have fond memories. I arrived earlier than check-out time (at 1 PM) to do some shopping, and my husband came in later with another work buddy. Being the holidays, the garage was very busy, but I was able to get out of my car within 5 minutes. I decided to try and check in early and it worked!! I got a tower room, which was decorated very nicely - large marble bath, very spacious. The bed was simply wonderful - King sized and so comfy!! On check-in, I was given coupons for 12% off at Macy's and of course I took advantage of it. I was a little disappointed in that the lobby didn't have the huge gingerbread house it had last year. Our Christmas party was on the 12th floor of the old building, great views of Union Square and good service (towards the end of the night, they did clear our glasses away faster than we preferred). We slept in late, and were told if we didn't need a receipt, we didn't need to wait in the check-out line. The garage was very busy, but we had our car in about 10 minutes. I would recommend this place to anyone. Others in our party stayed in the older section of the hotel and they were happy as well.

• Stayed December 2004
3 Thank babygame

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,272)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Palo Alto, Ca.
Reviewed December 18, 2004

I was horribly disappointed by the service, the rooms, and the utter chaos at the St. Francis. I am hoping that the nightmare was due to understaffing during the Holidays. I travel often, and this was by far one of my worst experiences.
A brief Summary : Delayed check in. I was forced to wait until after 5pm for a room. When I attempted to check, no one knew why my room was not yet ready. When I called from outside the hotel, I was put on hold. I asked for a manager, there was no manager. When we did get our room, it was a smoking room.. After an hour or so, we were told there was another room.. This room was a part of a larger suite- a small room, no view. (I had payed for and requested a view months earlier..) There were no other choices, so we accepted the closet like room. The heat was broken- they brought in a space heater- an awful smell was present- maintenance had no idea why. The cot had springs sticking out- and showed up hours after requested. The room was noisy, small and not usually rented out..We were short blankets, towels. The staff was over whelmed- many told me that they were short staffed after the strike.Room service ran out of food, valets were late, need I say more... Stay else where..location alone is not worth all the hassels you will be forced to endure.

3 Thank pamela h
Reviewed December 1, 2004

I was reluctant to stay at the Westin St. Francis based on some of the recent negative reviews. I was actually on the lookout for some of the problems described by other guests and frankly couldn't find any. My experience was quite the contrary. I had a fabulous corner room in the historic building on the 7th floor, very large and elegant with a great view of Union Square. My room was not considered a suite yet in most hotels a room (with sitting area) of this size would definitely be classified as a suite. My check in experience was very professional and courteous. All the hotel staff that I encountered were very kind and helpful. For the $189 rate that I paid (booked on Westin.com), I felt that it was an incredible bargain for this location and quality of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2004, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2004

I've stayed at the St Francis for about 15 nights over the last year.

Pros:
--Great Illy espresso bar
--Nice and big rooms in the newer part of the hotel (the Tower)

Cons:
--Awful/dispassionate management and check-in staff. In need of a serious attitude readjustment

--Worn out lobby/elevators

--Mediocre room service

Reviewed November 26, 2004

Stayed for a few nights earlier this month. We were concerned about the labor action going on but felt more at ease once inside. The front desk manager who checked us in was very nice, and we found the concierge to be most helpful in acting as a resource. Our room was in the historic main building--charming. I guess there is something about a hotel built in the early 1900s that evokes those memories of bygone eras. There are beautiful meeting spaces and architecture, which we sort of stumbled upon. We took a couple rides up and down the glass elevators to take in the city view. The beds were of course heavenly! I loved the location--mere steps from Macy's, Saks, and Neiman Marcus (although much to my hubby's chagrin). There were also plenty of food options nearby and we noticed lots of people going to the theater. Unfortunately Michael Mina was closed, but this only means we'll have to come back soon. Next time we'll also have to bring our pup, as the hotel allows dogs AND apparently they get pampered with heavenly dog beds too!

Glasgow,Scotland
Reviewed November 25, 2004

We stayed at The Westin St Francis early November 2004 for 7 nights and I can say, for the rate we paid, it was excellent value for money. The check in girl was very friendly. The room was in the old part of the Hotel and was very large with a seperate seating area. Clean, tidy and in a quiet corner of the corridor. The hotel itself is actually, in places, beautiful: very ornate, black marble columns, gold gilding etc. It could maybe even be said to be over the top judging by todays "minimalist" hotels but we thought it was wonderful.

Because of the workers lock out there was a lot of noise from the demonstrators but the security at the doors were pleasant and once they got to recognise that you were staying at the hotel, were very chatty. (and even apologetic about the noise from the locked out workers). Also due to the lock out there was some disruption to the services offered in the Hotel but not enough to really notice. Most importantly the room was cleaned every day, sometimes not till the afternoon, but it was cleaned.

We think this is a great hotel, in a great location and know we got a much better standard of room than the rate we paid entitled us too, but would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great central location in a great city.

You might be lucky like we were !!!

• Stayed November 2004
3 Thank Glasgow1
Reviewed November 23, 2004

Just attended my third conference in San Francisco in the past two months and had the best experience at the Westin St. Francis. The staff was friendly and attentive. Didn't have to climb the steep hill this time to the Fairmont (slipped and fell coming down that hill). The location can't be beat being on Union Square and the service was by far the best. The Front Desk Agent saved me money by offering me a high speed internet package. After our sessions, my focus group conveniently jumped on the cable car which stops right in front of the hotel. Shops, restaurants and entertainment, what more can you ask for? I'm pushing my event planner to have all of our meetings at the St. Francis.